Chapter 24

Falling Comets

Taehyung won.

He had sat next to Hyunsoo at the back in the limo that he was extremely surprised to see. Jimin was just as shocked as his eyes widened at Hyunsoo and the driver opening the door for each of them. Hyunsoo said nothing, but knew she would have to explain later.

The whole journey consisted of Taehyung looking out the window to watch people’s reaction to the limo he was riding in. Hyunsoo hadn’t realised it could be as exciting as Taehyung was making it seem. It even made her smile. Jimin was mostly watching Hyunsoo from the rear mirror every now and then. Although Hyunsoo avoided making eye contact, they ended up catching each other once or twice before looking in the opposite direction.

“Finally, we’re here!” said Taehyung, opening the door before Kenny could.

Jimin followed Taehyung out quickly, and then after looking back at the door Taehyung kept open, went to help Hyunsoo step out as well.

“Hyunsoo,” started Jimin, looking at her. “What is this place? Where did you bring us?”

Hyunsoo was a little hesitant in answering, but called Taehyung over before responding, “This is my family’s event they’re holding because my dad recently partnered up with a business, so I’m guessing they’re celebrating tonight. To be honest, I don’t know much of what’s happening either. I was just told to turn up.”

Taehyung looked amazed. His eyes had widened. It had been hard for Hyunsoo to let Jimin call Taehyung to join, because she knew she’d have to explain herself to both of them when the time came. Still, Taehyung had an open kind of personality and that made Hyunsoo feel less judged. She didn’t want to be treated differently because of her background, especially because she was ashamed of it.

Jimin, on the other hand, looked at Hyunsoo and said, “Who are you?”

This made Hyunsoo shake a little, because she was dreading this moment. It was as if he thought she might have been deceiving them all this time.

“I’m still the same… just, with a bigger background than you think. I’m from a middle class family and… my parents are basically, well, rich… because of their business.”

“What kind of business?” asked Taehyung. Hyunsoo noticed he was using a cheerful tone, as if trying to lift the mood.

“Well… It’s kind of, hard to explain…”

“Hyunsoo! There you are!” Her mum was coming towards her from the entrance of the same building she was in last time for the party. “You’re here just in time, come quick.” She stopped. “Are these your friends?”

“Yes,” answered Hyunsoo.

Her mum looked disappointed. “Come.”

Both Jimin and Taehyung looked confused. “Who is she?” they asked.

Disbelief would have been an understatement to describe their expressions when they found out it was her mum.

 

“I can’t believe this is your family’s doing,” said Jimin, looking amazed as he spun around and took in all the décor around them. “I’m sorry about before, I was just so stunned.”

“It’s alright, I understand. I’m just glad you could come,” replied Hyunsoo with a smile. She was leading him and Taehyung to the food table along the side.

“Alright, it’s my time to shine now,” said Taehyung, rolling his sleeves up, “Sorry, but this peasant will now finish your food. You don’t mind, right Hyunsoo?”

She laughed. “Of course not. Go all out.”

Taehyung nodded and grinned, before skipping towards the food table and grabbing a huge plate. Hyunsoo was just about to turn to Jimin and say something along the lines of what ideas she had for her art project, when her dad came over to speak to her… alone.

She looked apologetically at Jimin and watched him walk away towards Taehyung before looking at her dad. He looked so old, yet was so full of life. Unfortunately, this life wasn’t used for such great things.

“Your mother told me you brought your university friends to this occasion, not to mention two of them. Do you really want us to be looked down on? Is that your intention?” he started asking, “Why didn’t you bring anyone worthy?”

Hyunsoo looked at him as if he had just said something crazy. “What do you mean? I was told to bring a friend along, so I did. I admit, I brought two, but they have each other for company if I have moments like now, when I can’t even speak to them.”

“You stupid child!” he said in a low fierce whisper, “You were supposed to–”

Hyunsoo didn’t want to hear the rest of whatever he had to say. She stalked back to Jimin and Taehyung, and dragged them outside. They had both been eating their way through the meat dishes, and were quite surprised to find Hyunsoo close to tears.

“What happened?” asked Taehyung.

“Hyunsoo?” said Jimin, worried filled in his voice.

“I… hate my parents!” shouted Hyunsoo.

“Hey, don’t say that,” said Taehyung, grabbing her by the arms. “You can’t mean it!”

“I do mean it!” Hyunsoo wasn’t crying at all, to the boys’ relief, though she was quite angry. “They were so rude.”

“Hyunsoo, calm down. It’s alright, we don’t care.” Jimin took Hyunsoo’s hand just as Taehyung let go of her shoulders. “It’s ok.”

For a while, Taehyung was just watching Jimin hold Hyunsoo’s hand and calm her down with his soothing voice. She hadn’t thought about it much as it happened, but thinking about it later made her think. Why was Taehyung smiling as he watched Jimin calm Hyunsoo?

“Hey,” said Taehyung, standing next to Hyunsoo.

They were now waiting on Kenny to come back with the limo. Jimin was on a call with his mum, which he answered in front of Hyunsoo. Their peaceful and happy conversation made Hyunsoo a little jealous.

“Hi, I’m sorry about earlier,” said Hyunsoo. She really did feel sorry for the way she behaved.

Her feelings had built up over time, and the fact that she couldn’t confide in anyone made it worse. She couldn’t believe she burst out at this moment though, when her dad insulted her friends.

“It’s alright. I wanted to talk about something different actually,” he continued.

“What is it? Is everything alright?” asked Hyunsoo.

“Well, I’ve noticed you’ve gotten closer to Jimin, and also Jungkook, whether you like it or not.” Taehyung was starting to look nervous now. “I wanted you to know that I think you can help them patch things up with each other.”

“What do you mean? Their friendship? I’m not involved in that at all! It’s something from a long time ago. I don’t even know what happened or whose fault it was.”

“I’ll help you, but I think you can do it. I’ve been trying for so long.”

“Why me?”

“Listen, it was my fault. The reason they’re not friends. It’s all on me.”

Taehyung looked so sad now. Jimin was standing behind him with his mouth slightly open. Hyunsoo looked at both of them in disbelief.