Chapter 22

Falling Comets

Getting home would have probably been quicker if Hyunsoo had been alone. Instead, the guys who were supposed to do that job ended up getting side tracked every few minutes and delayed the rest Hyunsoo could have been getting by now.

“Do you play Overwatch as well?” asked Jungkook excitedly.

Hoseok, just like to all the other questions he was already asked, widened his eyes yet again and exclaimed, “Of course! What do you take me for?”

And they were off again, talking about their next shared interest. Although Hyunsoo was tired and just wanted to sleep already, she couldn’t help but watch them and smile to herself. They seemed to be getting along quite well. Watching Hoseok look excited and happy filled Hyunsoo up with that same kind of joy.

Hoseok may be a social butterfly, but he had his insecurities to deal with when he was around other people. He always thought he was very ugly, even though Hyunsoo always had to knock some sense into him by saying he definitely wasn’t. Still, this thought stopped him from being confident in himself and the things he did, which affected his relationships with other people. Seeing him like this now made Hyunsoo want to hug him, but the only problem was Jungkook. Why did it have to be Jungkook of all people?

Once they arrived in front of Hyunsoo’s house, it was clear that both Hoseok and Jungkook would walk each other home to talk more with one another. So, she quickly bid them a good night and thanked them for coming out to help her, as well as apologising for all the fuss she caused.

It was the first time ever Jungkook smiled at her kindly and said, “Go to sleep right away, I’m sure you’ll feel at least a little better tomorrow.”

Even Hoseok looked at Hyunsoo surprised and did a thumbs up. Hyunsoo chuckled. Hoseok’s thoughts of Jungkook’s rude douche side had all disappeared now.

“Thank you, good night both of you.” Hyunsoo wasn’t sure how much kindness she should show Jungkook to be honest. They had their bad times together and had been quite rude to each other, but this night was suddenly the opposite of what they would normally have done. They even opened up a little to one another.

Just when Hyunsoo had that thought, Jungkook opened his mouth and said, “See you at badminton practice tomorrow loser.”

Great, thought Hyunsoo, he was back to normal.

 

The next day, badminton practice was in the morning, so Hyunsoo rushed to get ready and texted Hoseok to meet at the bus stop before they went in together.

She managed to get a good amount of sleep, but it was too suspicious for her to be completely fine again. She was wary of even turning up for practice but she also wanted to see Jimin again. They hadn’t seen each other since they went for a walk in the park.

Once Hyunsoo was out the door and was speed walking towards the bus stop, she felt her phone vibrate in her coat pocket and sighed, hoping it wasn’t who she thought it was.

Ever since the family occasion she went to, she hadn’t heard from her mum again. It was another thing that had been bugging her, but she knew the next text would come soon. She also knew her mum would be angry because Hyunsoo left so suddenly without talking to anyone else after Seokjin’s speech.

The feelings from that night settled in her stomach again, as she remembered Jungkook telling her about his parents. Why was this bothering her so much? It wasn’t the normal worrying kind of feeling; it was closer to being afraid of something happening in the future.

Hyunsoo sighed again and took her phone out to check the text. She didn’t want to think too deeply into a matter she wasn’t even sure on.

 

‘We are holding another formal gathering. Bring a friend with you this time.’ – Mum’

 

With a huff, Hyunsoo put her phone away and thought about all the potential friends she could bring. Maybe she should bring someone who can humiliate her parents and make them never invite her again. No, that was too cruel. They were her parents, she loved them but she hated them. It was a complicated relationship.

“Hyunsoo!” called Jimin from across the road.

He was also making his way to practice, with a bag of rackets strapped to his shoulder. Hoseok was standing next to him waving for her to hurry and join them.

“Hi!” said Hyunsoo, feeling all previous concerns going down the drain. “Did you get home safe Hoseok?”

He smiled. “Yup.”

“I haven’t seen you in a while Hyunsoo,” said Jimin, smiling with his whole face. His eyes were adorable, taking the shape of a sideways moon. “How have you been? I was worried about you since we last spoke.”

“I’m doing better now, thanks.” replied Hyunsoo. She had an idea forming in her mind as she spoke. “Let’s start walking now before we end up being late.”

Jimin nodded and waited for Hyunsoo to take a step first before he followed. Hoseok walked on Hyunsoo’s other side as they made their way to the sports building quickly. Just before they entered the practice hall. Hyunsoo went to lean closer towards Jimin in order to ask him something.

Although Hyunsoo couldn’t see, Hoseok widened his eyes behind her and quickly covered them so no one would get the wrong idea. His back was turned towards them but he could hear them. Jimin also seemed more than surprised, but he collected himself and listened to what she had to say.

“I’ve got a request to make, I hope it’s not too much of a bother but,” started Hyunsoo, she looked visibly nervous but took a deep breath and continued, “Would you like to come to a family party with me? I’m supposed to bring a friend along, and I’d like it if you came because you were so great to talk to last time. I feel like you’ll understand.”

“Ah,” said Jimin, he laughed but it was a little dry. “You have to bring a friend along? Well, I’m glad to know I make the cut.” He laughed again, this was it was his genuine laugh. “Of course I’ll come!”

“Great! Thank you,” said Hyunsoo happily.

Behind her, Hoseok did a face palm.