Chapter 23

Falling Comets

“Come on! I need to see better counter attacks here!” yelled the coach.

He was watching Hyunsoo and Hoseok play against each other. It was a difficult match because both were evenly skilled. They were switching partners every match, and Hyunsoo had already gone against five other people. Once every person made their first score and won, they would move to the next person.

“You’ve gotten better,” huffed Hoseok as he ran forwards to block Hyunsoo’s attack.

“So have you,” she replied with a smile.

Hoseok scored, and the whistle blew. Apparently, they had been the only pair left to score yet. Everyone else was waiting. Whoops.

Hyunsoo locked eyes with Jungkook as he moved down to stand across Hyunsoo.

“Time to whoop your to the floor again,” said Jungkook smirking.

“You wish, you overconfident sack of –”

The whistle blew, and Jungkook made the first serve right away, catching Hyunsoo of guard. Still, she managed to counter the attack swiftly.

The coach had moved on to observe a different team, and by that it was glare at the other team, so at least Hyunsoo didn’t feel as nervous as she did when playing with Hoseok. Although, dealing with Jungkook’s expressions was a completely different obstacle to deal with.

It was a fierce match. And again, everyone ended up waiting for them to finish. Jungkook’s face was so concentrated, but Hyunsoo couldn’t lose to him. She had to get him back for try outs. Just as she thought this, Jungkook found an opening and smashed the shuttlecock on Hyunsoo’s side.

“Damn!” said Hyunsoo out loud in a frustrated tone.

Jungkook heard and looked at her smugly. It annoyed her even more.

“Still arrogant as always,” commented Jimin, walking to stand next to Jungkook.

His expression was completely wiped off from Jungkook’s face and he looked away to the next person he had to battle.

“You need way more practice before you can beat me Hyunsoo,” said Jungkook, before moving along.

Jimin was shaking his head. “He’ll never change like this…”

“Jimin, just ignore him,” said Hyunsoo, “I don’t know why he’s like that to you when you guys used to be so close.”

Jimin looked surprised. At the same time, the whistle blew and the game started.

“How do you know that?” asked Jimin.

Hyunsoo realised immediately how Jungkook had told her to keep shut about it.

“I…” she stuttered.

“It’s alright. You would have found out soon enough anyway. I think I know who told you as well.” Jimin looked a little sad, as he reverted the shuttlecock. “I hope that doesn’t change things between us? I don’t know how much he told you.”

“Actually,“ said Hyunsoo, she was panting now from the amount of running she’d done side to side. “He hasn’t told me anything except for the fact that you used to be close.”

“I see.”

Hyunsoo wished she hadn’t mentioned this at all because Jimin looked so sad and she didn’t know how to cheer him up exactly.

“Um, so I have this project I have to do for my course, and I’m supposed to use other people as part of my final piece. I had an idea and thought maybe I could draw you dancing? It’s the idea you had during our walk.”

Jimin brightened at that. “I would love to! Thanks, I wasn’t sure if it was something we would do at all, but I’m glad you said this.”

“Of course we would do this sooner or later, even if it was our own personal project. The opportunity came and I took it.” Hyunsoo smiled, watching as Jimin returned the smile and smacked the shuttle on Hyunsoo’s side. She lost again.

 

“I’m a bit nervous. Are you sure I look alright?” asked Jimin, standing in a black classy suit in front of Hyunsoo. “I’ve never been to a formal event like this before.”

She looked at him in astonishment. She always thought Jimin was the perfect mix of cute and y, but she never thought he would look this handsome.

“You look amazing,” said Hyunsoo in awe, which made Jimin smile cutely in embarrassment.

“You look just as great,” he said, looking at her up and down.

Hyunsoo was wearing a midnight blue dress this time that went all the way down to her knees. She smiled, also in embarrassment.

“Sorry I’m late!” said a voice indicating he’d been running. “I wore my best suit I had out of the two.”

“Taehyung,” said Jimin, “I’m glad you came. Sorry for dragging you out like this, I just didn’t want to be left alone certain times since Hyunsoo will have her own things to do.”

“I’m glad you brought me out though. I’ve never been this excited to go to a formal party,” said Taehyung looking excited. “So where is this place Hyunsoo?”

“Well, it’s a secret for now. You’ll see.”

“Oh ok, are we taking the train then?” he asked.

“Uh, actually… we’re going by… car.”

Taehyung nodded. “Oh, so we’re getting picked up.” He nudged Jimin, “Rock paper scissors on who sits with Hyunsoo?”

Hyunsoo laughed as Jimin drew his hand out ready for Taehyung.