Chapter 15

Falling Comets

That night, Hyunsoo had a hard time falling asleep. No matter how many times she tossed and turned into different positions on her bed, she couldn’t get comfortable enough to try to at least pretend sleeping. Her heart hurt too much, as if a load of stones has squeezed in together leaving no space behind. She wanted to cry all her frustrations out, but she felt too emotionless to bring out any tears. Baekhyun was her first love. He’s not someone she could forget so easily.

Hyunsoo could feel herself starting to get irritated. She sat upright suddenly and took off her shirt. Much better, she thought. It was too hot.

 

“Ouch!” croaked Hyunsoo, while trying to grab her phone from the bedside table. After being woken up by a loud vibration, Hyunsoo ended up hitting her head on her headboard somehow. She held her phone up above her head and peered at her screen.

 

‘Just a reminder to be ready for the limo. Kenny is coming to pick you up for the important dinner we discussed. Make sure you look your best. – Mum’

 

A heavy sigh escaped Hyunsoo’s mouth while she shut her eyes and let her phone drop to her side.

“Why?” she said aloud and continued to groan. “Why is that today?”

It took her a long time to finish complaining and finally get out of bed. Luckily, there were no lectures or workshops today. Although she did have some work to catch up on, but, that didn’t matter to her. Not today.

Once she was ready to go down, Hyunsoo opened her door and looked at the text message again. Re reading it as she went down the steps and into the kitchen.

“Uhm, could you hurry up please?”

Hyunsoo gasped and turned around in surprise. “Darcy… sorry, you frightened me.”

In response to that he said, “Well, you do seem to be occupied with a personal dilemma of yours. I’m sorry to intrude but I couldn’t help reading the message over your shoulder, was that a text from your mother? It certainly didn’t sound very… motherly.”

He let his words drift. It was the first time Hyunsoo had seen him choose his words so carefully. He was always well spoken, but this time he seemed to be trying to speak more cautiously. Still, the fact that he read such an important text touched a nerve in Hyunsoo.

“There’s a thing called privacy.”

Maybe that was a little too harsh, thought Hyunsoo, but she didn’t regret her words either.

Instead of being affected by the comment, Darcy gave a light smile and nodded at Hyunsoo before leaving the room. This was the most unexpected reaction Hyunsoo had ever witnessed from anyone in her life. Normally, he would have fought back and demanded more respect because he was a higher class than everyone here (except he didn’t know that Hyunsoo was a middle class as well). The fact that he left like that raised questions at the back of Hyunsoo’s head, but she didn’t linger on them for too long because she had other problems to deal with at the moment.

 

“Hello?” answered a sweet voice.

“Hi, I hope I didn’t disturb or anything, but I was wondering if you were free right now?”

“Yes, you disturbed me,” exhaled Jimin, then chuckled, “How could you even assume such a thing? I’m always free to hang out with you.”

Hyunsoo’s heart melted a little, but she kept her voice steady. “Thanks so much. I really need a friend right now to cheer me up. It’s been a terrible week this one.”

Hyunsoo couldn’t believe she had just accidently said the word ‘friend’ to Jimin. She had just friend zoned him. How stupid could she get? Damn it! Hopefully he didn’t take much notice on the word, she hoped.

At the same time, there was a horrible sick feeling escalating inside her. Why was she even going out to meet him? She still felt very miserable inside since talking to Baekhyun, but she also knew deep inside that she couldn’t let herself fall into that black hole of depression. She had to get over him and move on, no matter how much it hurt. Why was that so hard to do. It never seems to hard when you see other people going through a break up. They look so desperate and silly some of them.

“I hope I’m enough to cheer you up then. We’ll have a lot of fun don’t you worry. Keep smiling and tell yourself you can be happy in the meantime! Trust me, it works quite nicely. It’s like that phrase, fake it till you make it!” Jimin laughed as he said the phrase. “I know it doesn’t take away the sadness, but I’m sure it will lift you up even just a little, and that little matters a lot.”

“Thank you, it means a lot that you care so much. I’ll try my best! See you after your last lecture then.”

“I’ll text you the location. Don’t get there before me,” he said. Jimin had a kind of voice where you could somehow hear him smiling through his words. It was a quality that made Hyunsoo want to smile back at him, even though he couldn’t see her.

“Bye,” she said before hanging up. Hyunsoo dropped her phone on the bed and sighed for the nth time.

She wanted to cut off any emotional feelings she had towards Baekhyun, and she knew the only way to do that was to force herself to move on. Hyunsoo had only met Jimin recently, however she was sure that he would help her feel better.

A random thought passed through Hyunsoo’s mind. Jungkook and Jimin used to be friends… according to Jungkook anyway, but she wondered what changed it all. She couldn’t help remembering Jungkook telling her this, especially every time she thought of Jimin.

With a huff, Hyunsoo pushed the hairs out of her face. Why was there so much going on? It was giving her a headache. The break up wasn’t doing anything good for her mood either.

The phone vibrated on the bed next to her.

“What now?” moaned Hyunsoo irritatingly.

 

‘Yo’

 

Hyunsoo stared at her phone screen. Who could this be? It was an unknown number. The phone vibrated again in her hands this time, followed by a second message.

 

‘I’m sorry for intruding last night. I got your number off of a classmate to say this. I know you don’t mind.’