Chapter 17

Falling Comets

“We’ve arrived,” said Kenny, as he slowed the limo down and stopped in front of a rundown building with a staircase going underground.

This was a typical location for any kind of event. The family had to be secretive after all since they were dealing with drugs.

With a deep sigh and quick stretch after getting out of the limo, Hyunsoo thanked Kenny for the drive and made her way down with him behind her. At the bottom, there were two other security guards with huge sunglasses and a biker jacket standing on either side of the entrance.

“Welcome Ma’am,” greeted one of them, while the other simply nodded.

Kenny took this as a signal to take Hyunsoo’s coat off and leave it on the hangers, while she went ahead through the doors and was immediately blinded by bright chandelier lights coming from every part of the ceiling.

The hall itself looked very extravagant. It was huge, but also full, and the guests were all dressed at their best.

As Hyunsoo took her time taking in the view, Kenny came up behind her and said, “I’ll be standing by the side. Simply look and nod at me if you need me to come over.” And then he left to take his position.

Just when Kenny left, someone exclaimed loudly behind Hyunsoo a second later. “Ah, Hyunsoo! My dear, how have you been?”

It was her dad’s oldest and closest business partner and friend, Seokjin.

Hyunsoo smiled politely and replied, “I’ve been well, thank you. How’s work going?”

“Oh you know, the stress we have to deal with in our day to day lives is quite frustrating. Some runners are extremely pompous, while others are just straight up lame brained.” Hyunsoo chuckled along with him, as he continued, “But you know, I recently started putting my son on the job and he’s been doing really well. I want him to learn every aspect of the business to be fit enough to take over and so far, I’m very pleased.”

“That’s great to hear,” said Hyunsoo, and tried to think of something more to say, but Seokjin beat her to it.

“I heard from your father that you went to university to study Fine Arts. My, I didn’t expect that at all, though I guess it won’t matter because you’ll be married off to someone who can continue the business well. Still, make sure you learn a few bits and tricks. Don’t slack in this department, all right?”

Hyunsoo nodded slowly and looked down before smiling at him. She didn’t know why she was being lectured about this suddenly, no one had ever bothered her about the family business before. Was it because she was growing up now? She started university that no one approved of?

“Oh look, he’s finally here!” said Seokjin excitedly, looking to his side where the doors where. “Jay! Over here son!” He waved his son over.

Jay had only just entered with another person beside him, though Hyunsoo couldn’t see very well who it was, not like she bothered checking. Hyunsoo only gave them a quick glance before looking around the rest of the crowd to find an escape from Seokjin and his son. It’s not that she didn’t like them, she just wasn’t bothered to deal with anyone today.

“Hey dad, Hello Hyunsoo.” Jay smiled coolly at them both. “This is my friend, Darcy.”

Hyunsoo whipped her head towards the direction of Jay’s friend, just to be sure… and there he was, Darcy. Darcy, her flatmate.

“Uh, hey…” said Hyunsoo a little awkwardly. She imagined giving herself a face palm because she knew instantly that the awkwardness and the surprise was showing through her tone of voice.

Seokjin didn’t notice the sudden shift of atmosphere, but Jay sure did. He looked from Hyunsoo to Darcy, and back, with the most concentrated confused expression Hyunsoo had ever seen.

“You two know each other?” asked Jay, with his hands in his smart black trouser pockets. His black blazer was rolled up at the sleeves, revealing his toned forearm. Hyunsoo couldn’t help but want to stare at his arms, rather than face Darcy.

“We’ve met at the university,” answered Darcy confidently, “It’s quite a surprise seeing you here out of all the places I could have run into you.”

He knows! Screamed Hyunsoo’s conscience. He knew all along what Hyunsoo was! No wonder he was acting suspicious before she left, and not to mention the way he watched her leave!

“Oh I see,” said Jay before chuckling, “Well, that saves me the trouble of introducing you to her.”

Darcy laughed along, and then looked at Seokjin. “Good evening Sir, It’s nice to finally meet you. I apologise for the rudeness. I was just surprised seeing an old friend here.”

“Don’t worry about it!” Seokjin waved his hands for emphasis. “I’m glad to see you three will get along fine without me! Now, if you’ll excuse me kids, I should try and locate a business partner of mine. Speaking of, have you seen your father yet Hyunsoo?”

She shook her head in response and answered, “No.”

“You should come later once you’re done. He has important things to tell you.”

Hyunsoo nodded as he left, and gaped back at Darcy. Jay’s expression had changed completely into something like amusement.

“Still in shock, ey?” Jay sniggered.

Hyunsoo couldn’t help it though. Everyone knew he was a middle class guy, but this was something Hyunsoo had never seen coming since she moved in with him. Darcy was always snobby and arrogant and just everything a stereotypical post guy would be, but no one knew about Hyunsoo’s lifestyle.

“Jay, do you mind getting us all a drink? Come on, I’m a guest here,” Darcy said smiling like he owned the place. His eyes were shining whilst looking at Hyunsoo, there was something about them that made her nervous.

Jay shrugged and went away to get the drinks. He didn’t seem to mind, but Hyunsoo knew that was why Darcy sent him away.

“So, I finally know what you really are,” said Darcy while sighing, dropping his smile and going back to the usual expression he always wore at the flat.

“What do you mean by that? Aren’t you the same?” retorted Hyunsoo.

“Opposite actually. Just because we’re the same class doesn’t mean we’re the same. It’s just a class. Middle class, working class, high class… what’s the difference? It’s only about what you do within your class that matters.”

This was not going the direction Hyunsoo had imagined it would go talking to Darcy like this, especially when it was him of all people acting like the good person here.

“What the difference between us then?” asked Hyunsoo.

“Your family is… well, you know… in a kind of business seen in a bad light by most people. My family are just decent people working for the government. We’re not big business men, like your family seems to be. I mean this was hosted by your parents, right?”

Hyunsoo nodded, waiting for Darcy to continue but he didn’t straight away. They watched each other for a while, avoiding full eye contact.

“I texted Jay right after you left. I know most people from my class at university. The fact that I didn’t know you bothered me, so I knew instantly that you might be like Jay,” said Darcy finally.

“You should have just asked me right out, instead of acting all weird at the house.”

“Yeah, well, there’s something more to it… Jungkook knows a little, and we had initially decided not to tell you we know about you. Actually, it was Jungkook who had the first suspicion and we talked over it. That’s when I noticed and started paying more attention to you.”

“WHAT?” Hyunsoo whispered fiercely, stopping herself from screaming her questions at him. “HOW?”

“Uh, he doesn’t know everything, just a little. I mean, he wanted to speak to you but you were out with Jimin.”

“What did he want?” Hyunsoo’s voice was getting louder.

“Calm down,” said Jay walking over. “What’s happening?”

“Nothing,” chorused Hyunsoo and Darcy together.

There was a short silence as Jay passed the drinks over to Darcy and Hyunsoo.

“I need to go,” said Hyunsoo before anyone could say anything, but she gave Darcy a meaningful look which she hoped told him clearly that they needed to speak more about this later.