Chapter 4

Falling Comets

Jungkook? His name is Jungkook? And he’s on my course? Hyunsoo thought frantically.

Their eye contact lasted only a few seconds, because Hyunsoo quickly turned back around to face the front, feeling her face heat up in embarrassment. She didn’t know why she felt that, but there was another feeling swelling up from the bottom of her stomach. It made her heart race and her head hurt. She knew what she was feeling. It was dread.

“What the hell… what’s wrong with her?” said one of the girls behind her. The way she said it made Hyunsoo feel inferior.

“She just randomly stared at us,” said the other girl, “You don’t think she was staring at Jungkook, right?”

Hyunsoo didn’t want to hear it, especially because she thought that Jungkook would start making fun of her with the girls as well. Her stomach felt heavier by the second, and suddenly she wished she’d skipped breakfast.

“Whatever, her face looks so dead. Jungkook wouldn’t be interested in someone like her.”

Hyunsoo shut her eyes for a moment and tried to calm her anxious heart. She couldn’t allow herself to show how she felt hearing these comments.

“Hey,” said a male voice.

Hyunsoo opened her eyes, but stopped herself from turning around again. She didn’t have to though; she knew whose voice it was.

“I suggest you two move someplace else” said Jungkook, “Listening to you talk is slowly killing my brain cells.”

Hyunsoo couldn’t help it, she had to turn around. When she did, she noticed how both the girls looked appalled that the man they were squealing about was telling them to move away, and they had no idea why. Hyunsoo had no idea why.

She looked at Jungkook properly this time. His hair didn’t look as dark as she thought it was. It was a lighter brown, coming down to his forehead and ending just on his eyebrows. His expression had no emotion on display, but that didn’t take away the fact that he was indeed handsome looking. Jungkook’s eyes bore into Hyunsoo’s…

“You know,” said Jungkook, “It’s rude to stare.” He suddenly smiled slightly, leaning his head sideways on his arm. “But, I guess you can’t help it with a face like mine.”

Dammit! Hyunsoo thought. Knowing herself, she knew she had gone red in the face, so instead of slapping back a reply, she immediately faced the front trying to ignore the snickers coming from Jungkook.

She couldn’t believe he caught her staring at him. She couldn’t believe she had even been staring at him in the first place!

The rest of the class flew by as Hyunsoo tried very hard to focus on the lesson, rather than imagine scenarios of how she could’ve reacted to Jungkook instead of what actually happened. She didn’t like the fact that Jungkook had the upper hand at all, or the fact that he somehow made her feel small for no apparent reason. Hyunsoo was never usually like this. She would usually be able to put a cold and firm front with people she didn’t like, but why couldn’t she do that with Jungkook? She wanted to beat him, and so far, Badminton was her only chance.

There was no Jungkook in her other classes. It seemed that the morning class was the only one with Jungkook, who seemed to have moved from his other time slot. Hyunsoo wondered what made him move, but then remembered she didn’t care.

After Hyunsoo’s last class, she took out her phone and texted Hoseok to meet up. They decided to go to a dessert café, where they could talk and catch up on what Hyunsoo had to say. Hoseok was already sitting with an ice cream sundae when Hyunsoo arrived. He waved passionately as soon as he noticed her standing at the entrance.

“Seriously? You couldn’t wait for me?” said Hyunsoo jokingly.

“You took too long, and the ice cream looks amazing! It was literally calling me to buy it when I entered.”

Hyunsoo shook her head, but was smiling at the same time. No matter what Hoseok did, even the littlest things, it always seemed to brighten Hyunsoo’s day.

Once Hyunsoo’s crêpe had also arrived, they both began talking about their day and any gossip they heard recently. Soon enough, Hyunsoo changed the topic to Jungkook being in her class.

“He does Fine Art too?” asked Hoseok, looking shocked.

“I know. I was so surprised, and to make matters worse, he knew I was taken aback. He took advantage of the situation and started teasing me – that douche.”

“That’s such a coi–”

Hyunsoo interrupted him. “That’s not all. Yesterday, Baekhyun and I were walking to my house and guess who was standing right outside it, saying he was visiting one of my housemates.”

Hoseok didn’t say anything and waited for Hyunsoo to continue.

“Douche’s friend! He was there to give Chanyeol the fish food he bought for him.”

Hoseok did a dramatic what-the-heck face. “They’re friends?”

“I guess.”

“I can’t believe your lack of luck with people,” said Hoseok, leaning back as he put a spoon of coconut ice cream in his mouth.

“Well, he was okay. He said his name was Yoongi,” said Hyunsoo, “It’s Jungkook, the douche, I’m worried about.”

“But you did mention, you only share one class together, so you don’t actually have to see him so often.”

“That’s true…”

“Okay.” Hoseok straightened and looked at Hyunsoo seriously. “We need to talk about Baekhyun.”