Realisation

Petals of the rose

“Yes. Table number 3 order, coming right away!” Ji Eun said as she carried the tray over. Today’s business was exceptionally good.  She placed the plate, looked up at the customer with a smile. However, the smile was immediately wiped off her face and replaced with a stunned look. “Woah! Why are you here again?!” She exclaimed. “To eat?” He replied as he picked up the chopsticks on the table.

“Yah. Are you stalking me?” Ji Eun replied as she rolled her eyes. “Do I have poor taste? I am here for the noodles.” He smirked and ate a mouthful. “Ji Eun-ah! Faster come back. There are more orders!” The lady boss shouted over from her cashier area. “Yes, I will be there right away!” Ji Eun said in a polite manner before rushing over. “Why is this guy here again?” She thought to herself. L smiled at the sight of the clumsy girl fumbling with the orders.

After a hectic day of work, Ji Eun was ready to go. “You did great today. Go home and rest well. ” The lady boss patted Ji Eun on her shoulder and said. “Thank you. See you tomorrow.” Ji Eun replied with a smile. Slinging her bag over her shoulder, Ji Eun exited the shop and was on the streets. “Wah!” Ji Eun screamed. She was frightened by a person who came out from the dark. “Why are you still around?” Ji Eun said in shock.

“I am bored. Don’t feel like going home.” Myung Soo said boredly. “Oh. That’s too bad for you. I am going home to sleep.” Ji Eun said and gave him a mischievous smile. Then, she felt his hand on her wrist. He was dragging her along. “Hey ! You! Let go of me before I shout ‘kidnap’ !” Ji Eun yelled at Myung Soo as she struggled to release herself from his grip. He was too strong for her.

After some distance of walk, Myung Soo brought Ji Eun to the beach nearby. Releasing Ji Eun, Myung Soo sat down on the breakwaters. “Seriously. What’s up with him today?” Ji Eun thought to herself. She put her bag down and sat down beside him. Today, Myung Soo was behaving differently. Although he smiled more than before, Ji eun felt that it was just an act. He seemed sadder than before. She looked at the guy before her under the dim moonlight. The eyes were giving off a more depressing feel than before.

“Do you think those parents who are killed indirectly by their children will be able to rest their souls in peace? Or do you think that they will be lingering around their children in the mortal world?” L broke the silence. Ji Eun stared at him. “Why are you asking?” Ji Eun asked. Somehow she felt that his sadness today was related to the question he posed. “It is today. They were killed today.” L spoke coldly, trying hard to feign that he was fine. “They? His parents?” Ji eun thought to herself. She never knew he was an orphan.

“That day… We went on a holiday. My dad brought us because I requested and pestered him. My mother and I were in the resort room, waiting for my dad to return. Then, the doorbell rang. My mother answered the door, thinking it was my father. A man barged in and pushed my mother…into the room. That bastard…he my mother. I was still a kid at that time. I hid behind the door and saw him tore off my mother’s clothes bit by bit. My mother was crying and pleading him but he wouldn’t stop. Then, my father came back and fought with the bastard. He then stabbed my father with a knife. In order to ensure he won’t get caught, he killed my mother too. After which he ran off and all I did was watch. It’s all because of me that…” L stopped.

He felt a tear fell out of his eyes as he swept it away. “ Myung soo, are you alright?” Ji eun asked in a sad tone. L nodded his head but Ji eun knew that he wasn’t. “Everything is over. I know how you feel because I killed my parents indirectly with my own hands too.” Ji Eun said as she felt tears welling up in her reddened eyes. She held it in. Myung soo didn’t probe further as he brought her head to his shoulder. They found sympathy within each other. “Myung Soo, I think they are in the four-dimensional space, waiting for us to join them when we die.” Ji eun answered. Myung Soo nodded his head slightly as he closed his eyes and enjoyed the cool breeze blowing from the sea.

The next day…

“Hey.” Ji Eun said as she sat down beside Myung Soo. L nodded his head and continued with his work. The day of boring lessons was still ongoing. During the change of period, the students stood up and stretched. Others went to the toilet while some continued with their unfinished work. Ji Eun rested her head on her hand as she gazed at the scenery outside of the window.

“Hey. Everybody listen up. To make lessons more interesting today, we will have a discussion debate on aliens!” The English teacher said in an excited tone. “How is that interesting?” One of the students whispered to another. “So anyone up for the challenge? You may volunteer now.” The teacher said in an enthusiastic manner. All the students lowered their gaze and looked away. “So… We will start off with Myung Soo and partner.” The teacher said with a smile.

Ji Eun turned and stared at L who looked up at the teacher in a reluctant way. “Go on. The debate topic will be : “ Aliens do exist. Myung Soo you will be the opposition and Ji Eun will be on the side of proposition. Come on to the front.” The teacher gestured to the two to come forth. “Darn. What the heck. What is with the topic?” Ji Eun thought as she went forward unwillingly together with Myung soo.

“Proposition will start off first.” The teacher said. “I believe that aliens do exist.Frank Drake, in the early 1960s, came up with an equation known as the Drake Equation. He calculated the possibility of extraterrestrial life. He determined that there was a possibility of 100,000 to 1,000,000 extraterrestrial civilizations in our galaxy (the Milky Way) alone. With so many complex and huge solar systems across the galaxy, aliens definitely exist.” Ji eun said in a composed manner. The teacher clapped as the class gave her a round of applause.

She has studied about the Drake equation back in her planet when she was young. “I would disagree. The equation is not proven right up till now. There is no concrete statistics. In addition, even with many galaxies, a suitable climate is the key to survival of other beings.Phil Larson of the White House office of science and technology policy wrote that the US government has no evidence that life exists outside Earth, or that an extraterrestrial presence has contacted any member of the human race. Therefore, I conclude that aliens do not exist.” He concluded.

Actually, Myung soo do believe in aliens but because he was given the opposition role, he played by it. After he ended his speech, there was a loud cheer from the ground. The fan girls were drooling as he spoke in eloquence. They were completely mesmerised. “Okay, good job to the two of you. You may return to your seats now. ”The teacher said with a smile as she placed her hands on both of their shoulders.

Ji Eun turned and glared at L. Somehow, she felt really upset when he denied the existence of her race. “Gah. Why is he like this? What does he know!?” She thought to herself as she bit her lips in annoyance. “But… Why am I so angry? Why do I mind so much? Why is he always on my mind? Don’t tell me… I have fallen for him?!” Ji Eun thought and shot him a glance. She quickly turned her head around and shook her head, clearing her thoughts.

“This is impossible. This is absurd. How can I fall in love with a human! OH MY GOD, I must be crazy!” She thought to herself.

 

 Author's Note:
How is the new chapter?:) Yep! Ji Eun finallly realises that the feeling she has towards L is love :D What's up next? ^^