Fate

Petals of the rose

“Class! You will be doing pair work for a project. I want you to do this with the person sitting beside you for convenience sake…” Before the teacher could continue, murmurings and groans could be heard from the students. Ji Eun darted her head towards Myung soo after hearing what the teacher said. “Oh man. Why him of all people?” Ji Eun thought to herself. Myung soo just sat there and stared blankly. Sometimes, she wonders if this guy knows what is happening around him. He seemed to be sleeping with his eyes open during class.

“Listen up! The music project is graded so you people better do well. The dead line will be next week's Monday. Each pair will work on an instrument, do some research and prepare your presentation. Now discuss with your partner and tell me the musical instrument you have decided on.” The teacher continued, ignoring the jeers from the student body. “So… What are we doing on?” Ji Eun asked L.

“Piano. “ He said boredly. Ji Eun paused for a moment thinking about the idea.Turning his head around, he faced her and look into her eyes. “Not okay with that?” He questioned. “No… Erm, I mean I am ok with the idea.” Ji Eun said, looking away slightly. How can she say no when he looked at her like that. “So… Myung Soo’s pair, what are you all doing on?” The teacher noting down the previous pair’s musical instrument on the board said. “Piano, sir. “ He said in a polite manner. “Ok, piano…” He scribbled his name under the category of piano.

Right after he finished, many fan girls also chose the category of piano to work on. It seemed like he is really famous. When school ended, many girls flocked over to their tables. “ L oppa~ Do you want to go the library and research together?I am doing on piano too!” One of the girls said. “I think I have my partner, over here. So I think you should go with yours too.” L said and pointed to Ji Eun who was packing her bag. “Yes. Nice one. Kim Myung Soo. You just made use of me gladly to chase away your irritating fan girls. Thanks a lot, huh.” Ji Eun thought to herself.

Simultaneously, the fan girls stared at Ji Eun in an angry manner. Then, the girls pouted in disgust at Ji Eun before leaving unhappily. “So… Let’s meet up tomorrow to do the project.” L said, without looking at Ji Eun. He was packing his bag with no expressions on his face. “Actually, we can do half each and combine them together. “ Ji Eun said with a smile. She has no choice.There is still her part time job to go to after lessons. L stopped packing, turned and looked at Ji Eun. “So… you don’t want to do a pair work together? I can tell that to the teacher…” L threatened and smirked.

“Yah! I have my reasons, okay? I have part time job after school!” Ji Eun explained in a slightly agitated tone. “Oh… then we can do it on Saturday. The day after tomorrow, you can? “ L proposed. Ji Eun tilted her head up slightly and thought about it. “I have no shift on weekends. Nothing on. So should be fine with me.” She said. “But the school is closed on weekends and the public library is kind of far. Where shall we meet then?” L continued. “My house is alright.” Ji Eun said without much thought.

“You are inviting me to your house…?” L said and gave a suspicious look. “! What did I just suggest? “ Ji Eun bit her lips in embarrassment. Before Ji Eun could cancel the proposition L continued,“This will do. I will confirm the time with you tomorrow. Bye~” He stood up and left.“Oh my god! Lee Ji Eun, you idiot! How can you invite a guy to your house? You stupid!” Ji Eun knocked her head lightly as she reprimanded herself mentally.

The next day… ( Friday)

“R…I…N…G!~” The school bell went off. After greeting the teacher, the students were excitedly discussing their plans for the day. After all, tomorrow is Saturday and to students, Friday is play day. “So… Tomorrow we will meet at 1pm. Anyways, what is the way to your house?” L said. “Err… Actually, we can meet elsewhere if you are uncomfortable with the idea.” Ji Eun said in an awkward manner. “I am not really… uncomfortable. Unless…. You are?” L raised one of his eyebrows and looked at Ji Eun straight in her face AGAIN. “Erm… No. I am not.” Ji Eun tried hard not to stammer. “So… How about I meet you at the bus stop outside school and you bring me to your house?” L suggested.

Ji Eun nodded her head in agreement. “Okay. See you tomorrow then.” L said before he left the class. “Oh my. That was embarrassing. Why must he always stare at me like that? Darn. And what is with that weird feeling I feel when he does that?! “ Ji Eun thought to herself. She then stood up and left for her part time job. Grabbing a quick bite from a nearby snack house, Ji Eun reported for work. “Hello, I am here!” Ji Eun waved to her lady boss. Then, she saw a familiar back view as she entered but her thought was disrupted by her lady boss.

“Oh Ji Eun, you are here. Go get changed and help out.” Her lady boss said with a warm smile. “Yes. I will be out fast.” Ji Eun replied cheerfully. Unknown to her, the person looked at her direction. “Send this to table number 4.” Her lady boss said with a smile. “Okay.” Ji Eun smiled and carried the tray. Looking down at the food, Ji Eun walked carefully ensuring that the soup didn’t spill. Reaching the table she placed the tray gently and looked at the person.

“OH MY GOD? It’s him!” Ji Eun thought. “ Why…Why… are you here?!” Ji Eun blurted out those words. “To eat?” L said as he pointed to his food. This is too much of a coincidence. “ Oh. Ji Eun, is this like your... boyfriend?” The lady boss smiled sheepishly as she made her way to the two and asked. The two shook their heads in unison. “Since he is your friend you should accompany him for a while. Eating alone is kind of boring.” Her lady boss shoved Ji Eun onto the seat opposite of Myung Soo and said.She then took the seat beside Ji Eun.

“Come on. Don’t be shy.” The lady boss nudged Ji Eun slightly. L just continued looking or rather staring. He looked kind of self-amused. Ji Eun on the other hand was super embarrassed. Seeing the two being so silent, the lady boss decided to play a match—maker. She happily sat down beside Ji Eun and started talking to Myung Soo. “So kid you know our Ji Eun ?” She started after clearing .

L nodded his head slightly and paid attention to the elder who spoke. “She is a really nice girl. She works hard and is respectful. Look at her closely, and she is really pretty… Just that she is a little quiet, sometimes a bit cool and does not know how to present herself well enough…” The lady boss was super engrossed in the conversation with L. Ji Eun was tugging at her lady boss since the start but she just ignored her and continued blabbering non-stop.

“Lady Boss, I think that’s enough. His food is getting cold, you know. “ Ji Eun tried to stop her boss. Sometimes, she is just too friendly. However, L was listening attentively from the start and nodding along. Ji Eun felt herself blush a little and was getting embarrassed. “Oh. I guess I spoke too much. I will help you change the noodles. It will be on the house, specially for you, young lad.” She said before standing up and removing the bowl of untouched food before L. “That was totally embarrassing. How am I going to face him next time.” Ji Eun thought to herself as she covered her face slightly with her hand and looked away.

“She will make a really good promoter actually.” L joked and smiled at Ji Eun. “Haha, I guess so?” Ji Eun laughed in an awkward way, trying to hide her embarrassment. “Here are the hot noodles. Not that I am bragging. My noodles are the best in town ! “ The lady boss returned with a bowl of noodles with steam escaping from the soup surface. “Thank you. I will eat well.” L said with a charismatic smile.

Then, Ji Eun stood up, ready to escape back into the kitchen. “ Lee Ji Eun. Where are you going? Stay here with him and make sure he finishes the noodles. You can go off early today…With him.” She said with a cheeky smile as she left the two alone. “Oh my god. Why is she doing this to me?” Ji Eun cursed her lady boss mentally. L was happily eating the noodles, totally ignoring the presence of Ji Eun.

He nodded his head as he ate the first mouthful and drank some of the soup. Looking at him eating with satisfaction, Ji Eun’s lady boss smiled broadly. Ji Eun turned back and shot her lady boss a pleading look. Instead of rescuing her from the awkward situation, her lady boss mouthed to her ‘fighting’ and jerked her fist down. Ji Eun slapped her forehead slightly and turned back reluctantly. She admitted defeat.

“So…” L started a conversation as he swallowed his food down. He looked up at Ji Eun. “He is doing the staring thing AGAIN! Arghs…” Ji Eun thought to herself. “Yea?” Ji Eun said, avoiding eye contact with him. “Can you play a piano or know anything about it?” He questioned. “Not really…” Ji Eun admitted. “Oh. I guessed so.” He said coldly. “What is with the’ I guessed so’? Are you like looking down on me now?!” Ji Eun stared back into those eyes.

She felt that feeling again. That weird feeling whenever she looked at him. Then, she broke the eye contact. After L finished his food, Ji Eun’s boss made her change and follow L out of the shop. “Thank you. I will see you on Monday then.” Ji Eun bowed to her boss and bid goodbye. L smiled, nodded his head slightly and thanked her for the treat. Walking on the street, the two felt super awkward. Ji Eun thought that she had to do something to break the awkwardness that was building up with each second passing.

She looked around and saw the cinema. “This is the chance.” She thought to herself. “Ehs. I will go and catch a movie myself. So goodbye for now and see you tomorrow!~” Ji Eun ran towards the cinema. Before she entered, she turned and waved goodbye to L who stood there looking at her. “This girl is seriously…interesting?” L thought to himself. He couldn’t find a better word to describe her.

Ji Eun stood at the counter and made a fast decision. “Cowboys and Aliens one ticket please.” She said to the cashier. She had wanted to watch that film since it was shown. Finally, she had some time off. “Make it two tickets please.” A voice sounded beside her which made her jump a bit. Turning behind, she saw L’s face. “Why…why…are you here?” Ji Eun stuttered slightly.After paying for the ticket, L walked off with the ticket In his hands. “Hey… Wait for me!” Ji Eun shouted from behind and caught up with him.

Sitting in the theatre, Ji Eun felt uneasy. This was her first time watching movie with a guy or rather someone. However, she still enjoyed the movie and felt a little connection with her planet through the movie. During the movie, she teared slightly when she saw the part where the woman sacrificed herself to perish with the aliens in the space craft. “Sacrificial love is noble, isn’t it? I wonder if I will do the same if I were her…” Ji Eun thought to herself.

After the movie, Ji Eun and L left the theatre and again there was a weird silence. “So… Why did you follow me to the cinemas?” Ji Eun asked L. “I was bored.” He replied simply. He is fond of giving short answers, making the conversation hard to continue.  “Oh.Okay.” Ji Eun replied. “Don’t be late tomorrow.” L reminded before he walked in another direction, parting ways with Ji Eun. Looking at the back view of Myung Soo walking down the street, Ji Eun smiled to herself and shouted out to him “Don’t be late either or else you will be dead!”

 

Author's Note:
This is a super long chapter. -Guilty look- Trying to compensate the previous super short one :) Hope you like it! :D
Comment/ Subscribe you like ~ Thank you for reading !!!^^