Not Always

The Truth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was a time in senior high school when Jungkook lost himself in novel books. Taehyung would call him sappy because of how Jungkook kept reciting lines from the books he found ‘romantic’ and ‘hurt his chest but in a good way’. One time Jungkook was so immersed in the story, he called Taehyung his parabatai for the whole two weeks. Taehyung never got an explanation of what that word meant or what it represented, and soon he was too scared to ask.

Taehyung didn’t know since when, but he began picking up books that Jungkook loved and read them as well because he wanted to relate to what Jungkook was saying all the time. There wasn’t a clear memory of what the book was, but Taehyung remembered that one line and how it made him realize what he was too afraid to admit, and when he saw Jungkook the next day, he just said it without thinking.

“I hope you find someone you can’t live without. I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it’s like to have to try and live without them. Because it’s the worst. I can’t live without you.”

And Taehyung did not forget the comical look on Jungkook’s face when he finished saying it. He had looked so terrified that Taehyung believed Jungkook just didn’t feel that way for him.

So he played it cool.

“It’s from a book,” he tried not to sound hurt. “I’ve read one in the school’s library.”

Jungkook’s cheeks were red and Taehyung figured it might be from anger, cause how dare Taehyung thought of him in that way, right?

“Anyways, I thought you might like it. I didn’t write it down. You got it, right?”

Jungkook nodded ever slowly, still not saying a word back.

Taehyung turned his heels, “I gotta get to class. Bye!”

That was the first and last time Taehyung ever tried to tell Jungkook how he felt.

 

What makes Taehyung recalls this is the fact that he is sitting here in the park with Jisoo by his side and she’s telling him about how certain trees and plants don’t need sunlight to survive, unlike how all human needs oxygen and love and a sudden urge to get out of this conversation is too strong because he hears love and all his thoughts go to Jungkook and it’s just too much. He might say what he doesn’t mean, or maybe this guilt will never go away but as he tells Jisoo he can’t do this anymore, that he’s still very much in love with someone else and the look on Jisoo’s face just breaks his heart. She doesn’t seem so surprised to hear that, in fact, she tells him she knows. She knows. And Taehyung just feels betrayed because how can she stay with him knowing full well he can’t love her back. He feels betrayed because how can he ever hope to love someone again if everything they do reminds him of another?

It just isn’t fair.

So when he gets home that evening, he doesn’t cry. He takes a long shower, then builds himself a blanket fort and buries himself inside. He ignores Jisoo’s texts telling him it’s okay, telling him that they’re still friends above anything else and he can talk to her about his feelings, and Taehyung believes her because she’s just that nice. That’s why he’s so angry because he hurts others when he himself feels hurt and it all just feels so wrong.

He just wants to understand why Jungkook doesn’t trust him enough to let him know the truth.

He goes to sleep with the question.

 

-

 

"It's happening!" Namjoon announces loudly, startling a few people in the make-up room. Jimin looks up from his phone, eyebrows furrowed.

"What's happening?"

"Is Taehyung here?"

"No, he's taking a day off."

"Great!" Namjoon plops himself down next to Jimin. He shows the smaller model his phone, and Jimin takes a moment to finally understand what he's seeing.

"... he really commented that?"

Namjoon nods enthusiastically.

Jimin takes the phone into his own hand and goes to Taehyung's SNS account. He starts checking the likes and comments and surely, Jungkook's account is really there, commenting on the latest post as if that's not a big deal. Jimin is freaking out.

"OMG, we need to get them back together!"

"Jimin..."

"No, Joon. This is the golden chance. They're communicating!"

"Um..." Namjoon points his finger up. "Just to be clear, you know Taehyung might not see his comment in the sea of hundred other fans, right? Even if he did, he might not know who it's from."

"Don't be negative. Jungkook has his face in the profile picture, Taehyung isn't stupid."

"What if he just doesn't check his comments??"

"I can't talk to you when you're so negative," Jimin huffs and turns away. "You're killing my vibe."

"You don't have a vibe."

Jimin gawks, eyes wide at the comment. Namjoon's poker face is enough to make the conversation even funnier, and soon their make-up artists start giggling at the exchange.

 

-

 

To say that determined Jimin isn't crazy is totally a lie. Taehyung has seen Jimin in different modes many times, but it still never fails to amaze him just how stubborn driven his friend can get.

Just like right now.

“Jeon Jungkook is visiting next week.” Jimin says excitedly, and for a moment Taehyung gets excited too. “He said he’s staying for like two weeks so we’re going on a trip!”

“We’re what now?” Namjoon straightens his posture and Taehyung doesn’t miss the side glance. Namjoon can be scary sometimes and Taehyung says from first-hand experiences. He has witnessed Namjoon going off once or twice and he never wants to be on the receiving end.

“Jimin, I feel like you’re doing this on impulse.” Kim Namjoon comments.

“And what’s so wrong with that?”

“We have schedules!”

“I’m sure Haneul would understand. Her brother is visiting, after all. Besides, no one’s objecting.”

“Because no one’s here!” Namjoon throws up his hands. "Call Yoongi. See what he thinks."

"Aha!" Jimin grins, his eyes almost disappear. "Way ahead of ya. He's onboard."

Namjoon groans, then, and falls back into his seat.

“And Taehyung’s here,” Jimin points and Taehyung stiffens at the sudden attentio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter