Love, Your Friends

The Truth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sometimes they forget that Jungkook is just a kid, barely 20 years old, who has already experienced many tastes of life, yet still manages to keep one of the brightest smiles on his face. They fail to remember that at such a tender age, Jungkook has already lost so much—his broken family, his job, the lifestyle he's familiar with, his study, a place he can call home. Jungkook matures way faster than he should have. Now watching him munching on his food and downing glass after glass of chardonnay, they let him.

Everyone has those days.

"Should we say something?" Hoseok nudges Namjoon who is next to him. "He's going to have alcohol poisoning at this rate,"

"I've said enough," Yoongi appears by their side. The three of them glance over to where Jungkook is, and a few seats over sits Taehyung, emotionless and eyes trained on his phone, scrolling.

"They're being very obvious, it's annoying."

"If they could just talk," Namjoon sighs. Miscommunication really gotta be the most frustrating thing ever. He knows how badly it can affect a relationship because he's seen it first-handed a few times before.

"Can't we just lock them up in a room and go?" Hoseok may have said it rhetorically, but it sparks something at the back of Yoongi's mind. 

He grins. The kind of grin that reminds you of the Grinch.

"Yoongi," Namjoon murmurs. "I'm scared."

"Do you know who else should be scared?" Yoongi motions to where Jungkook and Taehyung are, "Them."

 

-

 

They all gather at the table to finish their dinner. It starts quiet and awkward at first, but then Hoseok begins telling them about his designs for the new season and how Haneul has been signing representatives for his line. 

"Jungkook," Hoseok beams. "You promised you'd wear one of my pieces."

Jungkook hiccups. "Sure."

Hoseok pauses. Looks at Namjoon and Jimin. Then back at Jungkook.

"Are you... sure?"

Jungkook nods. "When's your show?"

"August,"

Another nod, "I can come back for you,"

"Really?"

They never see Hoseok smiles so bright before he and does smile brightly. He jumps and engulfs Jungkook in a tight hug until Jungkook taps out. They spend the rest of the evening discussing Hoseok's plan for his next show, one which Taehyung, Jimin and Namjoon are already booked for.

And now Jungkook, too.

By the time they finish dinner, they're all tipsy and can't stop giggling. They head back to their rooms in light moods, bidding each other sweet goodnights and even cheek kisses. Hoseok pampers everyone in bear hugs. When they all leave, Jungkook is left standing there with Taehyung in the hallway of their floor, the night wind blows softly through the open window, the house quiet.

Taehyung speaks first,

"I'm not alive,"

Jungkook watches him leaning again the rail, his face soft and defenseless. Jungkook takes some steps back himself, finding balance in the form of a concrete wall.

"I haven't been alive since the day you left me," Taehyung says.

Something in Jungkook's posture changes and he straightens up in his spot.

"I left you?"

"Yes," Taehyung answers without missing a beat.

"Me?" Jungkook asks again, then scoffs a little too loudly. "Do you even hear yourself right now?"

"Yes, I'm hearing myself quite well, thanks."

"Don't play the victim card."

"You're the one playing the victim card," Taehyung spits out his words. "I cried every time I heard your name. You made me look bad."

"I-" Jungkook needs to process what he's just heard. "I made you look bad? You're ridiculous. I lost everything when you left."

"Don't make this sound like my fault, Jungkook. You and I both know you threw me away." He breathes, voice trembling. "You threw us away."

"But you had no problem getting together with various people right after,"

"Jungkook." Taehyung covers his face. He sighs, "You stupid ."

"What?"

"I didn't want somebody like you," the first teardrop makes its way down Taehyung's flushed cheek. "I only wanted you."

Jungkook walks closer.

Taehyung continues, "I wanted someone to fill the space you used to be in. I wanted to feel loved the way you made me feel. I knew I was looking for you in everyone I kissed. And there were days when I just wanted to run back into your arms but I couldn't because you weren't here. You threw me away."

"I feel the same way,"

"I didn't want you to go," Taehyung adds. "But I didn't want to stop you, either. I don't want you to stay just because I ask you to. I want you to stay because you want to." He looks at Jungkook, "And I understand when you didn't."

Jungkook opens his arms and in the next moment, they're embracing each other. Taehyung buries his face in the crook of Jungkook's neck, Jungkook kissing his temple.

"I'm so sorry, Taehyung. Let me make it up to you."

Taehyung just sobs into his shirt.

Jungkook pats his hair, whispering his sorry's again and again. Taehyung only sobs harder, tears stain Jungkook's white tee, but even more, it stains the pieces of Jungkook's broken heart.

"I'm sorry, baby. I'm so sorry."

 

-

 

The morning after is a little awkward, so to say. They wake up in each other's arms, in Jungkook's bed, though nothing must have happened judging by how fully clothed they still are. Jungkook's a little disappointed.

Taehyung jumps up from the bed fairly quickly, face flush under the warm morning sunlight.

"Did I- I must have gone into the wrong room," he stammers. "Sorry."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter