“Why aren’t you dead yet?”

The Truth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung stands gawking at the big boat by the dock, watching his friends taking pictures and celebrating excitingly. He's a bit dumbfounded, he's not gonna lie. He looks to his side where Jungkook has never left, and he can't help but smile at him.

"I remember you really wanted to get on the boat when we had that one study tour," Jungkook says before Taehyung can.  "You even made a wish for it on your 14th birthday."

"I was fourteen," Taehyung says, trying not to laugh. "Don't all fourteen years old wanna get on a yacht?"

Jungkook glances around at their friends who are still bouncing around, and he shrugs with a smile. 

"We're all fourteen today."

Taehyung smiles at that.

 

Their bellboy finishes unloading the last bag off the van and bows at Jungkook. They were exchanging a few words, with Jungkook thanking him and tipping him, and the boy dashes off with a smile.

Everyone cheers really loud once the yacht sets off.

 

-

 

Jimin can't keep the smile off his face, though he tries to frown at Jungkook as he says,

"You didn't tell me we're going on a yacht. You only mentioned the private resort,"

Jungkook shoots him a finger gun with a big grin in return.

". I'm supposed to know about this."

"Where's the fun in that? I like watching your face changed from victory to betrayal."

Jimin huffs and turns away, acting like he is too mad to even continue the conversation but they all know the model loves the surprise just as much as everyone else.

Jin comes back after giving himself a thorough tour around the boat and the first thing he says earns a round of giggle,

"What kind of yacht has no bedroom?"

"We have no bedroom?" Yoongi perks up in his seat. "Where are we going to sleep, then? The kitchen?"

"There's also no kitchen,"

"No kitchen!" Hoseok screeches. He turns to Jungkook, eyes pleading like a puppy, "But I'm hungry. I want some chicken noodle soup~"

"You'll get your soup," Jungkook rubs his nose bridge and eyes his older friends in contempt. "You'll all get your luxury bedrooms. We're on our way there right now,"

"We'll go on another yacht?"

"Not another," the frown on his face shifts back into a mischevious grin. "The real private beach I promised you."

Everyone shoots Jimin a questioning look as if the model holds all the answers to their current situation, which frustrates him a bit because he also has no clue about Jungkook's plan.

"Gentlemen," the captain's voice can be heard through the overhead megaphone. "On your right,"

Everyone turns in unison. There is a tiny green dune spotted not far away from where they are. The isle is so small that they wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out. As their boat looms closer, they can see under the clear seawater the pathway that connects this island to the occupied one just nearby.

"You are looking at Midas," the captain says. The boat has come to a standstill, and the man has come out to where the boys are. "Where you will be staying is named Haven. Consider the two islets twins, where Midas is the unfavored one due to its small size. On some dawns, the water gets so shallow that you can actually walk to and fro between Midas and Haven. But that isn't entirely safe so it is not recommended."

Everyone ooh-s and ahh-s. 

"I believe you are aware that our private resort gets booked up pretty full all year round, but only a few managed to secure a stay on our island. The Jeons actually rarely opens up the place for outsiders. This place, as the name suggests, is their own Haven."

Taehyung looks to the side for that last comment and catches Jungkook already looking back at him. The latter smiles, and he finds himself smiling back a little. It still feels weird, this air between them but he pushes that aside.

"Midas isn't completely useless, though,"

Everyone chuckles at the captain's sense of humor.

"Anyone up for a scuba dive?"

Jin cheers the loudest.

 

-

 

Taehyung needs to get his together. Or at least, he keeps telling himself that.

He has remained strong for so long, he can't have his resolve be ruined by Jungkook's sudden appearance, even by his ever so innocent smile. Everyone is buzzing excitedly as they're putting on their suit and gears for the dive, but Taehyung has been stuck staring at the man of the trip as he's conversing with the captain about whatever. Jungkook looks so serious when he's unaware of the stare he has his way. He has one hand on his hip, the other on the rail as he leans in on it, his head bopping to the captain's words. Taehyung only looks away when their conversation finishes and Jungkook's gaze snaps right back at him.

Before he knows it, Jungkook's sitting down next to him, picking up the many pieces of accessories Taehyung has yet to get started on.

"This goes here," Jungkook says as he fastens the straps around Taehyung's body, not noticing the blush that is making its way up Taehyung's neck and face.

He's too close. Sometimes Taehyung can feel the hot breath brushing his cheek.

Taehyung must have spaced out because when he's back to himself, Jungkook is putting the fins on for him. 

"The trick is to walk backward with them on," Jungkook's telling him. "That way you won't lose balance, also it looks less like that." He jerks his chin to where Hoseok is struggling to stand with his fins on, using Yoongi as his cane.

"T-thanks," Taehyung manages a little louder than a whisper. 

"Stand up for me?" Jungkook not only asks but also proceeds to pull at Taehyung's arms. The latter follows obediently, losing himself in the hundred invasive thoughts at the moment. Jungkook has a firm grip on him as he guides him to the platform. Already, there are 5 divers in the water. Taehyung notes that they must have come from a different boat since they weren't with them earlier.

"They'll be you guys' buddies—your guides," Jungkook announces to his friends.

"Each one for each of us?"

Jungkook simply nods at Taehyung's question, though there's something hidden in his gaze as he waits for the realization to kick in.

"There are only 5. What about my guide?"

Taehyung regrets asking that because Jungkook only smiles and that sets his inside on fire.

"No way- You?" 

Jungkook wiggles his eyebrows as the response.

Jimin tries not to laugh, instead turning to give Namjoon a not so subtle high-five.

 

-

 

The universe is making Kim Taehyung pay for something he did wrong but may not remember, because why else is he here with Jeon Jungkook closely by his side as they're about to dive around the Midas site? 

"Remember to hold my hand," Jungkook sneaks out his snorkel to tease. Taehyung ignores him. "Also, don't follow your dreams, follow my lead." Jungkook grins as if so proud of himself.

"Why are you so chatty all of a sudden?"

"Huh?" Jungkook tilts his head. "What's that? Can't hear you. Your beauty's too loud."

Taehyung reaches over and pushes Jungkook underwater. The latter comes back up the next second, yelling playfully about how a model's trying to murder him. No one bats their eyelids.

"Don't kill your buddy," Jungkook coos.

"You're not my buddy."

"It's a diving term," says Jungkook. "It literally means your companion while you're diving. Buddies are responsible for each other's safety, ya know."

"Huh," Taehyung half-scoffs. It's not like he's misunderstanding anything here. "Thanks for the terminology."

"Don't mention it, buddy."

Taehyung just stares, dead eyes. But his chest feels funny.

Also his stomach.

 

Once they're underwater, it gets a lot better. Jungkook can only pester him through gestures and movements, which are easier to ignore. Looking around himself, Taehyung finds a whole new world of sea life. He's been told to not get too close to the corals since he might cut himself without knowing. 

Jungkook stays close by though he doesn't try anything funny to draw attention. He seems to be enjoying his time, looking around the site and even embracing a school of fish swimming by.

What Taehyung doesn't notice, though, is the subtle snap of phone camera tugs away in Jungkook's clear waterproof case.

 

-

 

They all emerge from their underwater tour an hour later, exhausted but very much satisfied with the experie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter