Change

The Truth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Taehyung asks to talk, Jungkook isn't sure what answer Taehyung wants. But one thing for sure, Jungkook will never find it in himself to say no to the other person. 

Just like right now.

Taehyung has been wearing a friendly look on his face so far, so Jungkook is able to remain calm for now.

"Hey..." 

How long has it been since they've sat down and are able to look each other in the eyes like this? It feels like a lifetime ago. Is it a week? Maybe a little more than that. But Jungkook can't understand why it feels so strange and distant all of a sudden. 

They weren't like this before.

This feels like two strangers sharing a coffee table.

His chest aches.

"How have you been?"

Jungkook's surprised it's Taehyung who asks him first. He's so taken aback that he fails to even control his facial expression.

"I'm...? I'm okay, I guess? And- and you?"

"I'm sorry about what happened in your family," Taehyung continues as if Jungkook hasn't asked him back at all. "I wish I had known sooner so that at least I could lend a crying shoulder. I know you tend to bottle things up."

Already, Jungkook feels his throat tightened and his palms sweaty. He's going to lose it right then and there if Taehyung won't stop being like an angel that he always is. And that's the hardest part out of their mess—Jungkook can't accept the outcome but he has no more idea what he should do. Sitting with Taehyung like they are now, he just wants everything back to the way they used to be, even if he has to go the extreme route.

"Thank you," Jungkook manages to say after a while. "You always know me best."

"You're my best friend, Jungkook." Taehyung replies in an absolute tone and that makes Jungkook even sadder than he already is. "I'll always be there for you. What happened between us won't change that."

"Taehyung, I-"

"But don't try to change anything else," Taehyung continues, cutting him off knowingly. "Because it won't work. I won't allow it to work."

"Why can't you give me a chance to make things right?"

Taehyung stares at the question. Jungkook decides to stare back, and although his gaze remains unfazed, he secretly clenches his fists under the table.

"Why do you hate us so much that you won't even want me to fix us?"

"You can't fix anything, Jungkook." Taehyung says, again, in his absolute tone. This time Jungkook shivers a little. There's something in the way he sit that instantly puts Jungkook in his place. "We will never get back what we used to have. You lied to me for years, but I forgive you. We'll just never be the Jungkook and Taehyung anymore. Just Jungkook. And Taehyung."

Jungkook gulps, and without a plan, a first teardrop rolls down his cheek. He wipes it away quickly but Taehyung sees everything.

Though, he does not comment on it.

Jungkook feels more tears welling up in his eyes but he forces himself to appear stronger and not cry in front of Taehyung yet again. He sits there with his head hangs low for a very long moment before he hears something and has to look up at it. Taehyung has slid a set of keys across the table toward Jungkook, and for a while, the younger male doesn't know what those are for.

But when he finally does, his heart breaks even more.

"Taeh-"

"Don't try to stop me," Taehyung speaks first as if he knows that's what Jungkook is about to do. "You know I can't stay there anymore."

Jungkook finds himself clenching his own fists hard, lips trembling.

"A man showed up last night," Taehyung says nonchalantly. "He was stunned to see me at the place. I didn't know who he was at first until he asked if I was a friend of Justin, and that his son never mentioned having a friend staying over." Taehyung looks straight at Jungkook, "I guess you're that Justin."

"I'm..." he chokes. He knows he says it too much recenty but that's all he can come up with. He has no excuses. He knows full well he is in the wrong. So then again, he says it with his heart in pieces, "I'm sorry,"

"That's fine. I mean, I'm not even surprised anymore. I conclude that I have never known you at all."

"Please... don't say that..." Jungkook runs his hand over his face once, voice slurred and low. "Taehyung,"

"Jungkook," Taehyung calls back.

They stay there in silence for another moment before Taehyung decides to leave.

Taehyung is halfway out when Jungkook regains his focus. He shoots up and runs after the former, but his ex-boyfriend is already gone. Jungkook feels like he can no longer reach the other male anymore, as if there's now this obvious wall between them that was built by his very own hands.

Jungkook crouches outside the cafe and bawls his eyes out. Moments later, a strong arm wraps itself around Jungkook's shoulder. He doesn't have to look to know Jin has waited for him. He hates that he allows anyone to see him this weak.

"There, there, Captain America." Jin murmurs and Jungkook actually snorts a little. He hates this dude so much.

 

-

 

With the turn out of JS Corp's situation, Jeon Haneul has been having her hands full, juggling meetings at the Corps as well as managing activities at the agency. The last 2 days, Jungkook has been left to manage the agency alone while his sister tries her best to get the Corps out of deep water. Their father is still being MIA (but Jungkook knows where he really is now), but it still angers the youngest son a bit that a once responsible adult just upped and left his two kids to deal with the he's brought them like this. He wanted to blame their mom too, because obviously it is his parents' fault that they ended up like this right?

Right?

Like, they've been living under the same roof since the beginning of time and if Jungkook doesn't know what is happening with the people he's living with, clearly it's not his fault.

That's what he keeps telling himself so that at least he has something to keep his mind off of his own impending problems.

He's received yet another text message from his sister asking if he was doing alright. At this point, he no longer feel the need to lie to the only family member he has left. Haneul has been deep under mountains of paperwork but she still finds time to check up on his well-being, unlike his responsible parents. Not like he has idolized his father since he was young and has his mother as his very first love or anything.

I'm sad, miserable and hungry [Sent. Read.]

Jungkook replies the text.

[Received.] I'm pretending to sympathize with you

I love you sis [Sent. Read.]

[Received.] Don't go soft on me

Jungkook smiles a little at the response. He almost puts the phone down when he receives another reply.

[Received.] but yes, I love you too little brother

He closes his eyes and lets some more drops roll down his cheeks.

 

-

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter