Publicly Someone Else's

The Truth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Happy Lunar New Year! Enjoy reading <3 

 

"I need to talk to you,"

"Oh no," Jungkook gasps as Taehyung's pulling him away from people. They were in the middle of watching Jimin's shoot when the sudden I-need-to-talk-to-you happens. Million of terrible thoughts run through Jungkook's head, his legs blindly following Taehyung wherever he's leading them to.

"Are you breaking up with me?" He asks. "Already? It hasn't been a month yet. What did I do? Is it because we went too fast? We can start over, I promise."

"Hate to repeat myself but," Taehyung says quietly. "Do shut up. I'm not breaking up with you, not in a thousand years, or at least not unless you did something majorly ed up to me."

"Oh. Then, what do you want to talk to me about?"

Taehyung stops once they've reached an unoccupied meeting room. He ushers Jungkook inside before he closes the door. When he turns, he catches a look of familiarity on his boyfriend's face. But it's gone as soon as it shows up.

"Okay... I'm a little nervous." Jungkook clears his throat. "What's going on?"

"I need you to listen to what I'm about  to tell you with an open heart,"

"Like an open heart surgery?"

"Jungkook, be serious."

Jungkook grins and quickly wipes the look from his face. When he looks at Taehyung again, he's all but playful.

Taehyung takes a deep breath. He wipes his palms on his shirt a few times, fingers noticeably shaky. 

"Management called me for a meeting last week, right?"

Jungkook nods, instantly knowing where this is going. It's hard to keep his face poker but he manages.

"They told me two things," the model says. "First, they're giving me my own personal manager. Like those idols, you know, a manager who will go anywhere with me for security and work purposes."

"Okay,"

"Okay." Taehyung nods. "That manager is you."

Yes!! Jungkook internally cheers, but on the outside, he has his eyes wide, hands on his mouth for a believable faux surprise.

"What??" He screams through his palms. "I've been promoted to be a manager?!"

Taehyung nods, but he's calm despite seeing his boyfriend's reaction.

"There's one more thing and that's the main reason why I'll be needing a personal manager in the first place," he adds. "They're also giving me a boyfriend-"

"What?!"

"Let me finish." Taehyung sighs and quickly takes Jungkook's silence as a clue to go on. "It's solely for publicity. Basically, being single in this industry can mean you are not desirable enough and that may damage my work offers."

Jungkook knows immediately that Taehyung is quoting Lee's exact words right now. How dare that wrinkled man! How dare he said those words to Taehyung!

"So to change that, I need a famous celebrity partner. Can be a girlfriend, or a lamp post for all I care. But since it's the 21st century and it's all about acceptance now, and not to mention Jimin's and Namjoon's partners, and the fact that I'm only interested in a certain someone, the agency's giving me a public boyfriend."

Jungkook takes a moment to muster up the right reaction. He lets his mouth hangs low and eyes a little dead as he replies, making sure to keep his tone monotonously and slow.

"Are you breaking up with me?"

He hates himself. But whatever. He needs to make it plausible for Taehyung not to suspect anything.

"What, no! Did you not hear a word I just said?"

"Nah, I heard everything."

"Selective hearing," Taehyung murmurs. "It happens when you're in shock. You tend to only hear what you want to hear, but that's okay. I can repeat. Jungkook, I'm not breaking up with you."

Taehyung says the last sentence slowly, syllable by syllable as if talking to a child. Jungkook nods then, making himself so proud of how good an actor he can be. Maybe he should try the acting industry for a change.

"So, what will happen then?" He asks, again, very slowly. "With you and your fake boyfriend? And me? Am I your manager whenever you go out on a date with him but once we're alone we're back to being boyfriends? How does it work?"

"Basically, all that you just said."

"Okay... but, like..."

"Are you already jealous?" Taehyung studies his boyfriend's face and sighs. "I knew this is a bad idea. I'll go and tell them I won't go through with it. I'm sorr-"

"No, wait!" Jungkook grabs his wrist and pulls him back to face each other. "Tae, I'm not jealous. Pffs. I just want to see a clearer picture so I can prepare myself. I'm mature enough to know what's for work and what's real."

Oh, half of that is a lie.

Taehyung smiles and pecks Jungkook on the lips before he starts narrating the whole plan to his boyfriend. Basically, the relationship will be publicly announced after Taehyung and the chosen man are caught on a late night stroll. Both of their agencies will schedule that later, but for now that's all they will have to do to get this relationship started. And Jungkook will be Taehyung's manager, he will go places with the model and keep him safe from any potential crowd (either fans or antis) because what comes with a relationship with famous people is a flow of unjustified hatred as well as attention. 

"So, we need to keep our private life even more private from now on." Taehyung says. "At the company is fine, everyone knows us. But once we're in public places, you and I will be nothing more than-"

"Ugh, don't say it." Jungkook lets out a genuine heavy sigh. This will be a long, messy ride, he just knows it! "I get it. I'll... try. Ahh... I hate this already."

"I know, baby. Me too. But just bear with me for a while, yes?"

"Aha! You called me baby!"

"Wha- we already kissed multiple times! >.<"

"Ooh, kisses. Steamy~"

"Is that all you heard?"

Jungkook points to his temple and grins, "Selective hearing."

Taehyung's glad Jungkook is understanding this time. Just the t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter