Jejudo

Twenties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Member: Seungkwan

Yes. Finally.

Your chin was up and your eyes were closed. Feeling the fresh breeze that smelled like the sea and the trees combined with a hint of roasted chestnuts. It was calming. Very different from the city you came from. If only you could live here forever.

It would have been better if no one would call you as soon as you arrived. "Yobeoseyo?"

"Did you arrive safely?"

"Yeah. Such a bad news for everyone." Just because you do well, doesn't mean they could hate you. This business trip is also part of what they are envious of. If they only have an idea how big of a hassle it is, having to travel far just to look for new knowledge that might help the company. Good thing there's still someone like Haerin who's still on your side. Though she's moody at times.

"You better not talk like that because I'm extremely sensitive today." Surely. Her voice was as if she's talking in gritted teeth.

"Whatever." You started to walk. Looking for vacant taxis here in Jeju is harder than Seoul because of the amount of tourists.

"Don't forget to finish your task perfectly, so no one can criticize you. You'll also get to slap them each on their faces with your report." You couldn't even focus on what she was saying. The taxis are getting your attention.

"I know, I know. I'll call you later when I arrive at my place."

"Don't forget to. Bye."

You ended the call as you ran for the 4th taxi. Which you also missed. You just hope you get to ride one soon before it gets dark.

"Taxi,"

This is not something inexperienced travelers like you can bear. You are someone who's used to taking the same route every single day and commuting is definitely a new thing. You have no idea where to grab a taxi or how. The map was on your phone screen as you tried to figure out how to get there the easiest way possible.

"Excuse me," A boy was suddenly beaming up awkwardly on you. Somewhat taller, chubby cheeks looking soft and pink.

It doesn't seem like he's from the airport because he's not carrying anything with him. His clothes are very comfortable too for someone who just arrived. Maybe he saw you getting lost in the small area and wants to offer you help.

"Can you help me?" You replied shortly, but it seems like he wasn't expecting you to say that.

"Oh," His eyes darted on you and your baggages with surprise. "Where exactly is your destination?"

"I don't exactly know how to get here."

He squinted his eyes on your phone. He seems so familiar with the locations stated, he's nodding as he's looking at it. "Actually this is where I'm headed too."

"Really? So, can you help me get here?"

"Of course! Jejudo can be really confusing. The locations and dialect, you know." His expression brightened turned somehow needlessly proud. "But I'm a native here so you'll have no problem."

"Thank you."

"But if you don't mind, can we share the taxi?" He would not forget his sole purpose why he approached you. He grinned sheepishly. "I lost my wallet earlier."

"Sure." It can't be a big deal. You heard taxis in Jeju are cheaper than those in Seoul.

If there's one thing that Jejudo is proud of, it would be their hospitable locals. Sure enough, the boy beside you talked endlessly like he's paid to do it. He also conversed with the taxi driver in their dialect about random things like the weather and how tourists are flooding their island during this time of the year. It's refreshing to hear them talk though you didn't understand some parts of their conversation.

Sooner you arrived at your destination as promised. Far from what you expected, the sea breeze still reached the area as it was overlooking to it. It was so quiet except for the chickens and the people chattering to each other around the neighborhood. Some looked at your direction when you arrived.

"Seungkwan-ah, brought someone with you?" A lady, somewhat like in her mid 40s greeted him. In her arms was a big red basin, also talking in a dialect.

Another woman in a scuba diving attire arrived. Carrying an ice box filled with seafoods you've seen for the first time. "You didn't tell us you have a girlfriend."

"Aigoo, here you go again. She's staying at Jung's for a week." He walked past them to lead you. He really knows the place well and the people too.

You stood by a bulding, wasn't as fancy and big as the hotels in Seoul but still decent and inviting. It's like the newest building there and the only one that gave a city vibe in it. Atleast you wouldn't have to adjust yourself.

"I live there." He pointed a house blocks away. The red gate and the big tree, you don't know what kind, was attention seeking. "Just knock if you need anything. I'm very much willing to help you,.." He paused, trying to get you tell him your name.

"Oh, I'm..." You told him yours in which he responded with a smile. His cheeks swelling once more.

"My name's Boo Seungkwan." Son of Jeju as he describes himself. He's one interesting guy you just met. There's still more to come in your journey here and he'll be accompanying you real soon.

***

What a morning.

You opened the windows to the sun rise and the fresh fishy scent of the air. Noises of distinct chattering and the chickens again. Very much rural and plain. The kind that you want to wake up to every morning unlike the car honks in the busy streets. You rested your elbows by the window, trying to meditate with the morning sun while the heat can't hurt you.

"Good morning, miss!" A voice from down below called out. It was the boy again, on two wheels. Seungkwan as he said? You weren't quite sure. You smiled at him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter