Frenemies

Twenties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Member: Mingyu

"This is *YN*, and she'll join your training until the end of the month."

The news of you joining Seventeen for a few weeks reverbrated in each member's ears. Everyone thinks that it's weird to add another person to a debuted group even if it's only for training purposes. It would definitely ruin the mood of the group by inviting awkwardness plus the fact that you are a mere trainee and most of all, a girl.

But that is not yet everything.

"I want you to prepare for a showdown with iKON and include her." Now that's another bomb.

"You mean YG?" Seungkwan jolted on his seat.

This was your chance to get up and introduce yourself to everyone. "Nice to meet you sunbaenims. I'm Goo *YN*, a YG trainee."

"Surprisingly." The tall guy from the group purposely let you hear his small protest. None other than your frenemy, Kim Mingyu.

"Pledis would be sending a trainee lined up for debut to iKON too and the showdown would be each trainee's first reveal. I just want you to do well in this new concept, okay?"

"Yes, CEO!"

"If you have no questions then that is everything for today. I trust you in this a lot, Seventeen."

The group was never known to be ill-mannered so they accepted you without further questions despite being so perplexed with the sudden announcement. The long introduction from the many members started.

But there is always this black aura in every good thing and in this case, that is Mingyu. Your pathetic friend has nothing to do aside from annoying you.

"Hey, how come I didn't know you're casted by YG?" He didn't need to introduce himself because he is someone you knew very, very well.

"You don't really have to know."

"Of course I do."

"I can't see any reasons for you to." Your eyes would hurt from too much rolling whenever you are with him. It doesn't even make sense that you are friends when all you do together is bicker and bicker and bicker.

"Wait, you know each other?"

"It's a long story, Coups hyung."

"We're classmates since Elementary. It's not really a long story."

"It's not just that, hyung." He turned to face you again. "We need to talk. In private."

He gripped your wrist and dragged you out of the conference room. Everything that he does simply annoys you. No, even if he doesn't do anything. But for some reason you still want to keep him as your friend.

"What is this now?"

You brushed off his hand from your wrist. "It's not like this is my idea. Don't make it a big deal."

"Do you imagine how awkward this can get for the other members? We are a boy group."

"So? Do we have a choice?" You crossed your arms over your chest. It took him time to think before he scratched the back of his head in defeat. "And you know that I'm not awkward around boys!"

"Exactly my point. You can't be too close to them, understood?" Having a one-of-the-boys personality would help you now but Mingyu can never be more displeased with the idea.

"Woah, are you my father, my mother, my brother or what? Being so overprotective and all, whelck." You acted like you are about to throw up with his attitude. He sounded like your brother Junhoe very much, it gives you goosebumps. "Act normal, dude!"

"I trust my members but I don't trust you."

"This moron!"

"Just stay away from the members as much as you can. I'm keeping my eyes on you! Remember that."

"How scary." You sarcastically spitted out. It definitely sounded like a threat but it doesn't affect you much when it's him who's talking.

***

"Inform me of their choreography, got it? I want ours to be better that theirs."

"I want that too, Junhoe oppa but I'm included in Seventeen's performance."

"You just have to do well, alone. Then we have to do well as a group. That way YG's reputation would be maintained."

"You make sense. I got it for now. I have to go." You stuttered and ended the call when the car almost reached Pledis' building. You can see from inside that there is a black omen waiting for you to come out.

"Who told you to wear shorts here?" Mingyu had his eyes on you as soon as you arrived. It's the first day of training.

"I was not informed that there is a dress code here in Pledis."

"You should've worn sweatpants and sweatshirt. That is way too short."

"You don't have to care, oldie." You can only shrug at this grandpa in front of you. Like it's 21st century and he's expecting you to cover yourself when training.

The very reason why Mingyu is acting like this is because he has this long and untold onesided affection for you. He bugged you for attention and he is nagging you for your protection. He trust s but he doesn't trust you enough to not flirt with any of them.

The rehearsal started off right. Apparently, the guys already picked a song and a concept- which doesn't suit you at all. As fresh and bright concept were chosen by the group, of course they considered the fact that you're from a hiphop company but they believed you could pull it off. If only their belief runs in you as well. You gave Mingyu a displeasing look which he shrugged. You couldn't even understand how he manages to do cutesy things better than you.

       

The choreography began and good thing Soonyoung was kind enough to help you personally on things you couldn't catch. As for the expressions, you believed it would come along as you practice but Seungkwan already cheered you to have some more confidence since you're pretty. Mingyu gave you a displeasing look but you shrugged him off in the most savage way you can and he was holding it in until break time came.

"You ignored me??" He walked near you.

"Can you do something about this concept? It's unfair for me." You both kept your voices low but the members were loud that maybe even if you talk on a normal volume, they wouldn't mind.

"No. The group agreed on it."

"Then yes, I just ignored you."

He scoffed. "Well, be ready because the performance team is already planning your solo and I will not do anything to stop it from happening." It's not really necessary for him to give you that super annoying expression because his presence alone does all the work.

       

"Hey, come here." Minghao called your attention. You went to see what the commotion is about and as Mingyu just informed, you were doomed. A solo part on a cutesy performance.

"Okay sunbaenims, can I just pass for this?"

"Our CEO and your CEO asked for this. It isn't something we could not do." Mingyu really isn't helping. For sure before everything ends, he would have done the worst for you. "I'm pretty sure you could do this, cutie."

"Shut up. Just thinking about it makes me puke." You whispered so only him would hear. What they are doing now is like triggering your nonexistent allergy on cute things.

Known to be one of the boys, your personality definitely belongs to them. You are the type to wear kicks instead of stilettos, shirts instead of dresses and shorts instead of skirts. Up to now, girly things amuse you and make you cringe at the same time. Maybe somehow, having a brother contributed to it. Especially when your brother is the sassy Goo Junhoe.

"Mingyu hyung is right. You just need confidence for this." Suddenly, everyone was talking about your complaint.

It wasn't a great scene to be involved in because you really don't want them to make it look like it's a big deal. You're still a trainee and that means you are willing to learn. If these sunbaenims would think that you are not open for the idea of change, it may ruin your image as a future artist.

"You guys should chill, I was just asking." You said, a matter of factly. "I'm doing it."

And it was the worst decision you ever came up in your whole life.

***

"Cute concept? With you?? You must be kidding." For the first time, your brother insisted on driving you to Pledis. He isn't the type to do it considering his hectic schedule but he needs time to talk with you.

"How nice would it be if they are just playing a trick on me, huh? Oppa? Do I look like I'm joking?" You raised an eyebrow at Junhoe for adding up to your exasperation.

"Why are you so sensitive? Remember what I told you, you just have to do well. It doesn't matter if their concept is too outmoded."

"You guys should do well too. Seventeen isn't someone you can underestimate just by the concept. I'm telling you, they are very good." From where you are, you can already see the giant waiting at the front door with arms crossed. For sure he'll talk about how you're dressed today though it's just a simple pair of ripped jeans and oversized shirt.

"iKON would definitely do well too." That, too, was for sure.

The two of you simultaneously went out of the car as you arrived. You are not off of Mingyu's hook for today from how he looks like. Especially because he is not informed that Goo Junhoe is your brother.

"So this is how Pledis looks like."

"Not as big as YG but the hearts of the people inside are bigger than our whole agency."

"What are you trying to imply?" He chuckled.

"Nothing about our CEO." You both laughed.

Junhoe scanned the whole building without knowing that Mingyu is also scanning him at the same time. Mingyu gave a small bow when their eyes met and Junhoe did the same, since they know each other's faces from the time when they were still rookies. They never had the proper introduction, though.

You stood beside your brother and nudged his side. "You should go. Here isn't where you should be. Your heart doesn't fit here."

"Right." He set up on his feet but left a pat on your head as he whispered, "Idols are still boys, don't ever let your guard down."

"Ew. Are you being protective?" You jokingly cringed at his statement even though he sounds just like him. "You're the one to be careful on your way."

"Bye, monster." Your freakingly annoying bro messed your hair up before going.

"Oppa, what did you just do? Did you just touch- nevermind. I hate you and I don't need you so don't come for me later!" You cursed him for his actions because he should've known that you hated being touched.

You almost forgot Mingyu's presence that was there all along. You only entered the building and he started yet another investigation.

"And why are you with iKON's Junhoe?"

"Because he drove the car to get me here." Playing dumb is fun with Mingyu so you stated the most obvious fact.

"Why did he have to drive it?"

"Because I couldn't."

"You should've told me. I could have fetch you. It isn't safe to be seen around in public with iKON." The huge boy before you whined like what your brother did was very illegal. Perhaps because he doesn't know that Junhoe was your brother but you are not planning to tell him today either. You like his irritated face too much.

       

"Trust me, it's more dangerous to be seen around with you and I don't need to explain anything." You walked off first and he followed with his sermons and such words that you really don't want to hear this early.

Mingyu was irritated all day because of it. Instead of his usual talkative and hyper mood, he was just silent. He dully responded to the jokes thrown to him. He hardly gave reactions to people. During the break, he left the practice room and only returned when the practice was about to resume. It was alarming for everyone who noticed but maybe not for you. You know Mingyu better than anyone else in the room.

"Did something happen?" Wonwoo approached Mingyu and tapped his shoulder.

"I'm just tired, hyung."

"Sure?"

"Yeah." But he doesn't look okay at all. Wonwoo thought Mingyu just needs some space so he let him be. He told Seungcheol about it for as a leader he has the right to know. Seungcheol is definitely worried about his dongsaeng but as Mingyu wants to isolate himself for space, he put himself out of it.

You were slightly unsettled by the way Mingyu acts. He didn't tease you and he didn't nag. You can feel that the members are being very conscious with everything they do or say and there emerges the heavy and sensitive atmosphere in the practice room all because of him. You don't like a thing about it so as much as you didn't want to care, you stood up and walked to where Mingyu was.

"Hey.", lightly kicking his shoes.

"What?" He's glaring at you for a reason you don't know.

"Come out for a while." You spoke with equal exasperation.

The guys may be close to Mingyu but it isn't comparable to your closeness. No one would knock some sense to this guy better than you. He stared at you with irritation when you approached him but he still followed your tracks. He almost slammed the door.

"You know how to drive, right?"

He expected you to talk seriously and scold him for showing his attitude but the way you spoke was calmer that he could just stare at you, wondering.

"Yes."

***

If there is something that could help Mingyu release his own stress nothing would be better than food, most especially, chicken. So after dragging him out with words, he forcefully rolled his wheels to the chicken restaurant you both go to often.

You ordered, your treat, Mingyu's favorites from this resto and went straight to the table where the little pissed kid is sitting. Now he looked cute when you noticed the slight change in his expression after seeing the chicken. Chicken is a miraculous food, indeed.

"First things first, what's wrong with you?" You blocked the chicken with your small hands. His face turned dark once more as he held back and turned his look away.

       


"I'm okay, I'm just tired." Again, the obvious lie emerged from his mouth. He couldn't tell you that he's annoyed with what he saw earlier.

"Am I your team mate?" You just know him too much despite him knowing less about you. It's not like Mingyu's a very difficult to read kind of person. "That won't work on me."

"Can we just eat? In peace?" He complained. Looks like his mouth is tightly shut to share his thoughts right now. It doesn't matter though. You just want him relieved.

"If you don't want to tell me, fine. But please keep yourself straight during rehearsals? As if you're not a pro, Mingyu sunbaenim." Jeonghan actually told you the memories of the word.

"Don't call me that."

"What do you mean? Sunbaenim?" You smiled at his pissed reaction.

"Stop."

"Mingyu sunbaenim?"

"Jeonghan hyung's loose mouth, really." He smiled in defeat.

       

At the same time, thinking hard how pathetic he is for being so weak when it comes to you and how hopeless it is that your smile affects his smile too. It would have been great if you just welcome him with smiles everyday instead of being grumpy all the time but of course that is not how you treat Kim Mingyu. He is a frenemy, different from your other guy friends, and that's the only reason you have now.

"Sometimes it's good

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter