D - 16

Christmas Wonderland

“Which cookbook should we get for Sojung-unnie?” Eunbi asked as she stood before the shelf of cookbooks that reached up to the ceiling. A tough decision was an understatement.

“She’s a master at French cuisine so maybe we should get her something Asian?” Yerin said as she scanned the books. “Oh, fast finger food!”

“She’s a chef, not a mom with young children.” Eunbi snorted when she saw the older girl pick the said book up from the shelf. “And didn’t you just say something Asian? I’m pretty sure these are Western.”

“You don’t have to be a mom to prepare fries and onion rings. And well… Oh, shut up.” Yerin chortled as she flicked through the book, looking at the appetite enticing pictures of miniature burgers, Greek olive cups, and other delicious dishes.

“It’s just funny to think that an executive chef would be cooking off a book like this.” Eunbi sniggered, poking at the colorful cover of the book. “Besides, these are probably the basics. She should know them.”

“What do you suggest then?” Yerin sighed as she placed the cookbook back in its spot.

“I think… This, will be an interesting one.” Eunbi grinned as she picked up a book on mixology. Yerin turned to look at the book and squinted at the title.

“The bartender’s guid- Are you for real?”

“Why not? It’s nice to pick up a new skill. She can make us good drinks next Christmas.” The dancer shrugged. Yerin was about to disagree but caught herself.

“Not a bad idea actually.” Yerin said after considering Eunbi’s words. “Let’s get it.”

“Yeah man~” Eunbi sang as she tugged the older girl towards the checkout counter.

 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

 

“I think we got everything.” Eunbi said as she shut the trunk.

“I don’t think so. We’re missing out your present.” Yerin said as she got into the driver’s seat. “I have a present for you that I’ve yet to pick up.”

“You do? I haven’t even thought of today’s present.” Eunbi sighed and banged her head against the window.

“Hey, don’t do that…” Yerin frowned as she pulled the girl towards her by the sleeve of her jacket. “It isn’t some sort of obligation. Just because I’m surprising you every day doesn’t mean you have to do the same to me. I’ve planned this for a month, but you only found out like what? A couple of days ago. You shouldn’t stress yourself out every day thinking about it. I don’t want it to become some sort of chore for you.”

“I know, I don’t see it as a chore, but I just feel bad if you keep giving me stuff the entire month, but I don’t have anything prepared for you.” The younger girl pouted.

“Silly kid. The smile on your face and knowing that I’ve made you happy is worth a gift in return every day.” Yerin ruffled the girl’s hair. “We’ll make one last stop before heading home and tell you what, if you really want to, we can walk around and see if you find anything you feel like giving me as a present.”

“But then it won’t be a surprise anymore.”

“I won’t look. Hmm, tell you what. I’ll walk slightly ahead of you. If you find something you want to get, just walk off without telling me and I’ll go wander around. How about that?”

“Only if you promise you won’t turn around.”

“Pinkie promise.” The photographer said as she extended her pinkie towards Eunbi who hooked it with her own and pressed the pad of their thumbs together.

“Let’s go then.” Eunbi said, perking up a little. They made their way down to a mall those to their apartment to pick up the younger girl’s present.

“Let’s walk around. I’ll go collect your present when you disappear so that we can both surprise each other.” Yerin said, holding the door of the elevator lobby open for Eunbi.

“Call.” The girl smiled. They started from the top floor, walking past numerous boutiques, gift shops, jewelry stores and other outlets but nothing, in particular, caught Eunbi’s eye. Yerin looked back several times with a confused look as to why the girl had yet to stray off but Eunbi simply shrugged, indicating that she just hadn’t found anything. Eunbi only disappeared when they reached the ground floor. After realizing the lack of the dancer’s presence, Yerin turned back towards the escalator and made her way towards the jewelry store.

“Hey, I’m here to collect a necklace.” Yerin greeted the lady behind the counter and handed the invoice over. She chuckled internally at the thought that she probably seemed rich to get Eunbi such extravagant presents. They weren’t rich in any way. Yerin would consider their monthly income as average. They owe their clients to great PR skills and of course, recommendations from their friends.

“-anything?”

Yerin snapped out of her daze when she realized the lady was speaking to her.

“Sorry?”

“Would you like to write anything?” she repeated her question and Yerin noticed that there was a small greeting card and a pen in her hand.

“Ah, yes please.” The photographer said with an apologetic smile. She took the pen and wrote a quick note down.

 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

 

Eunbi hid behind the pillar and watched as Yerin walked back to the escalator without looking around, just as she had promised. The girl then walked into the candle shop. She remembered that Yerin had mentioned once about candles creating an ambient and relaxing atmosphere which she loved. Now that she spotted the candles, it would be the perfect present.

“Hi, how may I help you?” a salesgirl asked when she saw Eunbi looking at the candles.

“Hi, I’m looking for a present. To be more exact, a scent. I don’t know which to choose from.” The dancer said as she gestured at the wide variety of scents.

“What do you think the person might like?”

“Perhaps… Something light? Not too intensely sweet but something fruity.” Eunbi said.

“How about their personality?” the girl asked as she walked slowly down the row of candles.

“She’s warm, active, very playful but likes a calm and relaxing environment sometimes. Especially the kind of… cup-of-coffee-in-a-café-on-a-rainy-day-by-the-window kind of feeling.”

“I’d recommend this one.” The girl said as she handed a jar to Eunbi. “It has a mildly sweet citrus scent to it, kind of like berries. She might like it.”

Eunbi took a whiff of the candle and smiled.

“I think she would love it. I’ll take this.”

“No problem, let me wrap it up for you.” The girl smiled. The payment was quickly settled and Eunbi bowed before walking out. She fished her phone out to give Yerin a call.

“Hello?”

“Rinnie, where are you?” Eunbi asked as she walked slowly towards the carpark.

“I just left the store. Meet at the car?”

“Yep. See you.” Eunbi said before ending the call.

 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

 

“Shall we switch presents?” Yerin grinned as she hopped onto the bed with a small box. Eunbi said nothing but handed Yerin the paper bag. “I’ll open it first.” She said as she took the wrapped cylinder out of the paper bag. The wrapping paper was removed to reveal a pale orange candle.

“I figured you would like this. Y’know, lighting it on a rainy day and sitting by the window for that ambiance.” Eunbi said as she rubbed the box with her thumb.

“I didn’t think you would remember that random passing remark I made months ago.” Yerin smiled as she looked at the candle.

“Welp… I remember whatever you say.” Eunbi grinned. “May I?”

“Sure.”

Eunbi lifted the cover of the box and gasped.

“No way.”

“Yes.” Yerin scooted closer to Eunbi and watched as the latter took the necklace out of the box along with the small card. “Read it.”

“Dear Eunbi, until I give you my last, here is my first name for you to keep. Love, your precious Yennie.” Eunbi read off the card. “I swear, Jung Yerin…”

“Love you too~ I’ll put it on for you.” The photographer offered as she took the silver necklace from Eunbi’s hands. She placed the necklace around the girl’s pale neck and secured the hook. “How pretty! Now we can match.” Yerin said as she raised her hand to show the bracelet that she had been wearing every day.

“Stupid duck.” Eunbi said, lightly punching Yerin as her eyes began to water. “Making me cry all the time by being so damn charming and loveable.”

“It’s better than making you cry from heartbreak or pain.” Yerin smiled as she poked the girl’s soft cheek and wiped the tears away. “I’m serious about the last name though.” She winked.

“I know you are.” Eunbi scoffed, leaning into Yerin’s arms.