D - 4

Christmas Wonderland

 "What do you have in store for us today?" Eunbi asked.

“Well, I have checked the weather forecast and after a few hours of extensive research, I have decided to bring you on a trip to the countryside.” Yerin said. “Just for a night.”

“What’s the special occasion? And why countryside?” Eunbi asked.

“You’ll know when we get there. We’ll set off at around 4, have some dinner before getting on our way. Dress warm, it might be really cold.” Yerin winked before sauntering off towards the bedroom. Eunbi raised an eyebrow at the girl’s sudden plans but decided not to question it. After a couple of minutes, Yerin reappeared from their bedroom with a big bag.

“What’s that?” Eunbi asked.

“Our pillows and some extra blankets.” Yerin said, dumping the bag on the couch.

“Are we camping or something?” Eunbi looked at the bag.

“Well... in a way.” Yerin smiled. “I’m going to shower. Wanna join?”

“Do you want me to?” Eunbi wiggled her eyebrow.

“I offered.” Yerin winked.

“I guess we could save some water today.” Eunbi said nonchalantly as she got up from the couch to take Yerin’s outstretched hand.

 

★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★

 

Yerin placed the bag of pillows and blankets in the back seat before hopping into the passenger seat.

“Where to?” Eunbi asked as she started the engine. Yerin typed an address into her navigator before placing it in the stand on the dashboard. “Fish and chips?”

“It’s a really good place.” Yerin nodded. Eunbi nodded and followed the directions on the GPS. It took them out of Seoul city and towards Jecheon.

“It’s along the way so we won’t be making any excessive detours.” Yerin said. “We can take away or eat in, up to you when we get there.”

“We’ll see how hungry we are by then. If we take away, where are we going to eat? Certainly not in the car... right?” Eunbi asked.

“Of course not! I don’t want any crumbs in here. If we take away maybe we’ll end up having a picnic somewhere but seeing how cold it is, probably not. I’m not up for soggy and cold chips.” Yerin grimaced.

“We’ll eat in then.” Eunbi smiled. It was a 2-hour drive to the infamous fish and chip place; Brighton Fish Supply. It was a surprise to Yerin who didn’t expect there to be an outlet around the outskirts of the main city where the people were more exposed to western culture.

“Rin, we’re here.” Eunbi said and gently tapped Yerin’s shoulder. The girl had fallen asleep shortly after they left the city. Since she didn’t have anything to keep her awake, the gentle rocking of the car cruising down the highway would lull her to sleep in minutes.

“Huh?” The girl opened her eyes and looked around. Eunbi had already parked in a small lot outside the shop and switched the engine off. “Oh, okay. Let me just... yeah.” She said as she sat up and rubbed her eyes. She checked her reflection in the sun visor’s mirror and fixed her messy hair before giving the younger girl a thumb up. They got out of the car and stepped into the chilly breeze. The bell above the door jingled as they entered and a young boy greeted them.

“Hey there, what can I get for you today?” He asked. Eunbi, who has never tried the fish and chips from this particular chain, looked to Yerin for help.

“If you still have the red snapper I’ll get one of that and a side of calamari and prawns.” Yerin said and the boy nodded, tapping the screen of the cash register.

“Sauce for you?”

“Yep, the large one.”

“Drinks?”

“One latte and...” she looked at Eunbi.

“One sparkling mango juice.” She completed their order.

“That’ll be 13320₩. Payment by...”

“Cash.” Yerin said as she dug through her wallet for the notes and spare change. She handed the exact change to the boy and took a seat.

“You’ve been here before?” Eunbi asked, curious as to how to girl seemed to know the menu so well.

“I’ve been to one in Australia last year for that photoshoot. Surprised to find it here so why not? I like to share nice things with you.” Yerin smiled.

“Why thank you, how kind.” Eunbi chuckled.

“I’ll go get the drinks and sauce.” Yerin smiled as she got up. Their food was served just as Yerin returned to her seat.

“Wow, this looks good!” Eunbi her lips at the piping hot food.

“Eat, eat. Just don’t burn your tongue.” Yerin laughed, handing the other girl a set of plastic utensils.

 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

 

After another 2 hours of driving, they finally arrived at their destination, Yeongyang Firefly Eco Park. The temperature had dipped to a freezing low of -5°C.

"It's really cold outside, are we going out?" Eunbi asked as she drove in.

"Of course not." Yerin chuckled. She reached across Eunbi's arm to turn the high beam on. “See that grass patch up ahead?”

“Yeah, why?” The younger girl asked as she slowed down.

“Drive onto the grass. Not too deep in but just a bit.” Yerin said.

“Is that legal? I mean, this is an eco-park and I would think people can’t even step on the grass.” Eunbi raised a sceptical brow.

“I did it before. A park ranger walked by but she didn’t say anything so I guess it’s alright. Besides, it’s not like we’re drifting around and killing all the little grass. A little won’t hurt.” Yerin brushed the girl off and assured her that it would be fine. Eunbi was worried but she trusted that the older girl wouldn’t do anything dumb. She drove up the small kerb and onto the grass, stopping just as the rear wheels rolled over the kerb.

“What now?”

“Now, recline your seat to the max it can go.” Yerin said as she began adjusting her seat. They reclined back and Yerin grabbed the bag that she had packed earlier. She handed the younger girl her pillow and hugged her own before spreading out the blanket across their laps, covering the centre console too.

“Are we going to sleep here?” Eunbi asked.

“We’re going to enjoy the view.” Yerin said simply and sat up to press a button, opening the moonroof. The cover slid back automatically, allowing them a clear view of the sky. As soon as Eunbi looked up, she was dumbfounded.

There were so many stars, more than what they would usually see from their apartment. It looked like stars were dusted across the sky and they were all twinkling in the pitch black night.

“How...” Eunbi exhaled as she stared in amazement, captivated by the beautiful sight.

“We’re in an area that isn’t polluted by light. This park exists to help protect and conserve the fireflies who thrive in natural darkness. And so since there’s almost no light pollution here, we’re able to see the stars that have always been up there but were overpowered by the city lights. In fact, what we’re looking at is the milky way.” Yerin explained softly. “If we look closely, we could spot some constellations too.”

“This is beautiful, Yerin.” The younger girl whispered. “I’ve never seen so many stars before in my life.”

“Neither have I. I only saw the pictures while I was researching and I knew I just had to bring you here to see it with me.” The photographer smiled. “Don’t you feel a sudden wash of... comfort? Or peacefulness?”

“I do. For the first time in... I can’t even remember.” Eunbi said.

“Can we go out for 5 minutes? Just out of the car. It’s nicer if you look at it from outside since this roof is tinted.” Yerin said. She lifted her side of the blanket and opened the door to slip out, jogging over to the other side to help the younger girl.

Eunbi clambered out and shut the door, looking up at the stars that seemed brighter and more vibrant now that she was out in the open. The air was freezing but it was worth the view.

“This is definitely worth the long drive.” Eunbi told Yerin. The latter smiled and held Eunbi’s hand, pulling her towards the hood of the car.

“Sit on the hood and lean against the windscreen to enjoy the view.” Yerin said as she sat down on the hood and pushed herself back to ease her weight on the glass. Eunbi joined her and giggled as soon as she sat down.

“You want to lay here because the hood is warm?” She chuckled.

“That and this is the most relaxing place to lay down. Unless you want to lay on the grass where it’s cold.” Yerin nudged the girl’s shoulder.

“I’m good.” Eunbi shook her head. “Are there shooting stars?”

“Hmm maybe. If we’re lucky we can see some.” Yerin said. “Whenever you’re cold just tell me and we can go back inside.”

Eunbi nodded and they fell into silence. It was soothing to have the night breeze blowing gently. It was also completely silent except for the chirping of the crickets. No cars, no human bustling, no noise pollution. Just them and nature.

"Do you know how to spot constellations?" Eunbi asked and Yerin shook her head. "But you just hat we might spot some constellations!"

"I know, I've seen pictures but I don't think I can spot them among... all this
." Yerin said and gestured at the sky, causing the younger girl to chuckle in understanding.

"Want me to point out some?" Eunbi offered and Yerin nodded, leaning closer to Eunbi so that their heads were touching. "Follow my finger okay? We'll look for a... well it's not a constellation, it's more of an asterism but you know, kinda the same thing. First, we look for the brightest stars; 4 for the bowl and 3 for the handle." she explained. "Try it."

Yerin tapped her chin as she looked around at the stars.

"This?" Yerin asked, pointing at a star.

"Nope. They're all brighter than the other stars." Eunbi said. Yerin hummed as she looked for a brighter star.

"How about this one?" Yerin asked and Eunbi nodded.

"Keep going
." Eunbi said and Yerin hesitantly moved her finger to another star. "Nope." she said and held the older girl's hand to guide her. She traced the outline of The Dipper with Yerin's hand and turned to look at the latter who had an amazed smile. Her eyes seemed to twinkle like the stars even in the dark and Eunbi found herself leaning in closer and closer without even realizing. Yerin turned to look at Eunbi only to be met with a pair of soft lips.

"Taking advantage of me?" Yerin asked as she leaned back slightly, lips curving into an amused smirk.

"I was just... I don't know actually. You looked so beautiful watching the stars I just-" Eunbi tried to explain but was silenced with a kiss.

"Just admit I'm irresistible." Yerin winked and Eunbi sighed.

"I wonder why I'm dating you." Eunbi shook her head.

"I wonder why too." Yerin grinned and leaned in for another kiss.