D - 7

Christmas Wonderland

Eunbi pushed the glasses that were sliding down her nose bridge back up as she looked through the papers. She was checking their flight details for later in the afternoon.

“Do we have anywhere else to go? Any sights to see nearby or food to try or stuff to buy?” Yerin asked from the bed. She too had her glasses on to read a magazine.

“Our flight is at 4:15 so we have to be at the airport by 2:45. I’ve extended our check-out time to 12 pm instead of 10 am so we could leave our bags here to go out and have a bit more fun before coming back to get our stuff.” Eunbi said as she arranged the papers and folded them in half.

“What’s the attractions nearby?” Yerin asked, placing a bookmark between the pages and closing her book.

“There’s Hamdeok beach that’s famous for some dragon looking rocks.”

“We’re already right by the sea, B. I don’t think we need more beach.” Yerin chuckled, reaching out to draw the curtains to reveal a clear view of the Sea of Japan that stretched as far as they could see.

“Then… Yongyeon pond? Gwandeogjeong? Sarabong?” Eunbi listed on her phone.

“The pond sounds alright but I’m not looking for any historical stuff. Too lazy to walk around in a park or climb up the lighthouse either.” Yerin sighed as she got up.

“Tell you what, you love drives and so do I. How about we go to the pond and get some pics before driving aimlessly around?” Eunbi suggested. “Then when it’s about time we’ll head to the airport and stop to refuel the tank along the way.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Yerin grinned. “I’ll go get changed.”

 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

 

“Cold?” Yerin asked Eunbi who was shuffling around in her spot with her hands tucked into her coat pockets.

“Huh? No. Just restless.” Eunbi smiled.

“We could go now actually, there’s nothing much to see now with everything frozen over. And look, it’s cloudy.” Yerin looked up at the sky that was slightly grey, a great difference from the beautiful clear sky yesterday.

“Maybe it’s sad that we’re leaving.” Eunbi giggled.

“Maybe. Shall we go on our drive now? I read somewhere about flipping a coin to decide where to go. We’ll decide on a number before we set off so that will be the number of times we flip the coin. Heads will be a right turn and tails will be a left.” Yerin said as she dug around her pockets for a coin. “There we go!”

“I think I saw it somewhere before. Seems fun actually. How should we decide on the number?” Eunbi asked as they got into the car.

“Hmm… How about we all flash a number from 1 to 5 and add them?” Yerin asked.

“On 3?”

“1, 2, 3.” Yerin counted and they showed their hands. “4 and 3. 7 intersections then.”

“Let’s go~” Eunbi sang as she drove out of the gravel path. They arrived at the first intersection almost immediately after they merged onto the main road.

“Heads so right.” Yerin said and Eunbi flicked the signal down.

“Lucky we’re on the right side of the road. Maybe we should flip it before we even stop at the intersection.” Eunbi said and Yerin nodded, understanding what the girl meant. Angry motorist as certainly not what they want to deal with on their last couple hours there. Following the coin's instructions, they cruised by the sleepy roads of Jeju and at the last toss, they found themselves somewhere by the river.

"We're back by the water. This is the same stream from the lake." Yerin laughed as they drove by.

"We should definitely do this again someday.” Eunbi said as she brought the car to a stop at a red light. “What shall we do now? You wanna find lunch around here or do you want to go to the airport for lunch instead?”

“Hmm, airport. If you’re not so hungry we can go drive around a little more. Take some scenic routes.” Yerin grinned.

“Sure, we can do that. It’s only 1.” The younger girl said. They began driving again, going along the more scenic paths and winding roads as per Yerin’s request. Eunbi would occasionally look over and the relaxed look on her girlfriend’s face as they zipped by the greenery is an obvious sign that she’s more than happy.

It was five minutes from 2 when they arrived at the airport and it took them another 5 minutes to settle the rental car. They checked their baggage in and received their boarding tickets.

“Lunch before we walk around?” Yerin asked, keeping her passport in her bag.

“Yep. What do you want? Your pick. I’m fine with anything.” Eunbi shrugged.

“This is why I gave you those sticks.” The older girl sniggered.

“Eish. Oh, look, nachos!” Eunbi perked up at a restaurant just before the departure area.

“Want to have this?” Yerin asked and the girl nodded enthusiastically.

“I haven’t had nachos in a long time.”

“Then let’s eat this. We can take our time in savoring our lunch since the hall is right there.” Yerin said as she placed a hand on Eunbi’s lower back, guiding the girl into the restaurant.

 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

 

“Shall we get something for the kids? More Christmas presents.” Eunbi asked as they walked past the duty-free shops.

“Fancy you calling them kids when you’re the second youngest.” Yerin raised an eyebrow.

“Shh~ They won’t know. Well?”

“We could. Some... Mandarin orange chocolates, little hareubang keychains or some of these, cute plushies.” Yerin said as she picked one of the penguin plush up from the metal cage and squished its cheeks.

“Chocolates are great. I doubt they’ll like these keychains. Maybe if they hang it in their car instead? On the rear-view mirror?” Eunbi asked, spinning one of the hareubang around her finger.

“Hareubang is going to puke if you keep doing that.” Yerin snorted. “Nah just get them chocolates. They all have a sweet tooth, me included. Maybe that’s why we click so well.”

“It’s the safest bet.” Eunbi nodded as she looked around for any other items. “Unless you want to get them all drunk.”

“I refuse to take care of 5 drunk beagles.”

“Chocolates it is.” Eunbi laughed, lightly slapping Yerin’s arm.

“Go pick out some, I’m going to look at something.” Yerin said before walking off. She approached a rack that had a variety of snow globes and other little knickknacks on display. Yerin looked through the little ornaments but didn’t find any particularly attractive. The snow globes, however, were far more interesting.

“Huh...” the photographer mumbled as she gingerly lifted one off the glass shelf. She shook it and watched as the little specks of glitter sparkled and drifted around a small Santa Claus sitting in the middle atop a pile of wrapped presents. She placed it back with a smile on her face as she looked at another.

“Cute.” She said to herself. This one had a single hareubang wearing a Christmas hat surrounded by white glitter that was supposed to be snow. She gave it a good shake and laughed as it began snowing on the stone statue within. She took a new one in a box from the back and placed the display back on the shelf before going back to Eunbi.

“Got your stuff?” Eunbi asked and the girl nodded.

“I’ll pay. Uh uh, shush, you paid for everything this trip, let me do something as well.” Yerin said, pressing a finger against Eunbi’s lips when the girl was about to protest.

“Alright, go ahead.” Eunbi said with a light shake of her head. Yerin proceeded to the checkout and settled the payment.

“Who’s that for?” Eunbi asked, nodding towards the snow globe that the cashier was scanning.

“You. My present of the day.” Yerin smiled, pulling her credit card out of her wallet. She handed it to the cashier and he swiped it.

“You spending time with me these few days is more than enough.” Eunbi said as Yerin entered her pin number.

“Don’t say that, it sounds like I’m barely home when I’ve been lazing around with you pretty much every day for the past month.” Yerin chuckled, bowing slightly as she took the receipt and bag from the cashier.

“I know you have but y’know... Can’t get enough of Miss Jung’s presence. 24 hours is too little.” Eunbi winked and Yerin coughed. “What? Don’t you like cheesy statements like this?”

I handle it better if I’m the one saying it and not on the receiving end.” Yerin folded the receipt and placed it into her wallet before sliding it back into her pocket.

“Tsk. But really, I just love spending time with you. Now that I say it and think about how much we see each other, I feel a little clingy.” Eunbi scratched her clavicle.

“Nah, we’re just around each other a lot. More so than Sojung and Eunbi or Yuna and Yewon. We’re not that clingy, remember how I used to go on many business trips? You survived just fine. I won’t consider it clingy unless you call me every 5 minutes whenever I’m not within a 3-meter radius of you.”

“That’s an exaggeration.”

“Yeah but my point is-”

“I get what you mean.” Eunbi let out an amused breath. “Just trying to see how emotional you can go. This is your kinda charm; you just know what to say to make any wrong situation right and without being too heavy about it. Deep yet light-hearted. Does that make sense?”

“Yeah, kinda. Well, because it’s me. You probably sound crazy to someone else.” Yerin stuck her tongue out and earned another smack from the younger girl.

“What a pain in the .” Eunbi huffed.

“Do you want a pain in the ?” Yerin asked and quickly bolted for the boarding gates before Eunbi could kick her.

“22 years old? More like 12 years old.” Eunbi muttered to herself through her grin as she looked at Yerin who was walking backward ahead with an equally huge grin on her face.