D - 1

Christmas Wonderland

 “Will your parents like the gift?” Yerin asked and Eunbi instantly snorted.

“That’s literally what I said yesterday and now you're saying the same thing." Eunbi laughed.

"Eh well..." Yerin mumbled with a sheepish grin as she tapped her fingers on her knees.

“Trust me Rinnie, they’ll like it. You’ve seen them plenty of times too! They’ve always treated you like you’re their own daughter. Even oppa likes you because of your laughter. Remember that time where you were over to help me with a project and you gave up half way to watch a movie?” Eunbi said and Yerin scratched her eyebrow. “Yeah… I’m sure you remember that because oppa came in after hearing you. So, just relax. It’s like visiting your own parents.”

“Fine…” the older girl sighed.

“Go get changed, hmm? Omma says she wants to spend the day with us. They’re going to prepare lunch and dinner for us.” Eunbi said and rubbed Yerin’s thigh before standing up. Yerin pressed her lips together into a tight smile before getting up from the couch.

 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

 

Traffic conditions were good and Yerin got them to Eunbi’s house in 2 hours. She pulled up beside Eunbi’s family car and they got out.

“I haven’t been here in a long .” Yerin said as she looked at the house.time

“You were here just last month, Rin.” Eunbi scoffed and pulled Yerin by the sleeve towards the front door. Eunbi knocked on the door and gave Yerin a reassuring smile. “Just breathe.”

There was a moment of silence before a series of hurried footsteps could be heard. The door unlocked and swung open to reveal Mr Hwang.

“Girls!” He smiled and spread his arms to welcome them. They walked into the man's arm and he gave them a tight hug and ruffled their hair. “It’s been a while. Come in, lunch will be ready soon.”

“I brought a present for you and auntie.” Yerin smiled and handed the man the paper bag.

“You didn’t have to Yerin-ah but thank you. Still as considerate as ever.” Mr Hwang nodded and clapped Yerin on the back. “Dear, the kids are here.” He called out and Mrs Hwang walked out of the kitchen.

“Eunbi, it’s nice to see you again. And Yerin, you look prettier from the last time I saw you!” Mrs Hwang said as she patted the photographer’s cheek.

“You flatter me, auntie. You just saw me last month though.” Yerin said, causing the lady to laugh.

“Many things can happen in a month, am I right?” she said as she looked at her daughter who looked away.

“Is oppa here?” Eunbi asked.

“Not today, he will be here tomorrow though. He’s at his girlfriend’s place today.” Mrs Hwang smiled. The younger girl nodded and walked to the kitchen.

“Sit, you must be tired after driving here from Seoul.” Mr Hwang said and led Yerin to the couch.

“I think a stretch and a walk would benefit her more than sitting down again.” Mrs Hwang said and the man lightly slapped his head.

“You’re right, silly me. Care to take a walk with me, Yerin?” he asked with a fatherly smile.

“Of course.” Yerin said. The man grabbed his coat from the hanger and shrugged it on.

“We’ll be back in a bit.” Mr Hwang said when Eunbi reappeared from the kitchen with a cup of water.

“Walk safely, don’t slip.” Eunbi cackled and Yerin stuck her tongue out before leaving the house. The neighbourhood was quiet as usual, leaving the pair to their own privacy.

“How have things been going for you and Eunbi?” Mr Hwang asked and Yerin nodded as they strolled along.

“Things are well. We’re settling down with our jobs and all. Has B told you about her plans?”

“She sure has. She sounded like she wanted to have a more stable life.” Mr Hwang chuckled. “Are you okay with it? You might end up spending lesser time with her.”

“It’s alright, we can’t always have everything we want in life now, can we?” Yerin said and the man nodded.

“You’re a wise kid, Yerin. I’m glad Eunbi has someone like you in her life. I know she can be a little headstrong at times since she wants everything to always be perfect but I’m happy that you understand that she has good intentions.”

“I know. She can be a little frustrating at times, but I like to think of it as the same when I would nag at her to keep the apartment tidy all the time. It’s embarrassing to say with my own mouth, but I think we complement each other well.” Yerin laughed.

“You’re not wrong to say that. How many years has it been? 3?”

“3 years. Honestly, it still feels like I just met her a week ago. Time really flies.” Yerin said as she tucked her hands into her coat pocket.

“Now that you two moved in together and all, have you thought of settling down? I wouldn’t say starting a family since she’s only turning 21 next year and you 23 but you know what I mean.” Mr Hwang looked at Yerin who seemed to ponder deeply about his question.

“To be honest, I have. We’ve been living so comfortably almost as if we’re already married. Sojung even says we bicker like a married couple sometimes.” Yerin chuckled. “But of course, I’m afraid. What if it isn’t the right time? What if she thinks we need another year before we finally tie the knot? There are many factors to consider. Including you and auntie. I need to be considerate of the both of you and hear your thoughts as well.”

“But the important question is, will you?”

“Of course. Without a doubt or hesitation. Your daughter… She’s special. I’ve been with other people in my high school days before I met her but they’re all… How should I put this? They lack. There’s something special about B that makes her stand out. Like ‘yes, she’s the one I’ve been looking for all this time’ kind of feeling.” Yerin said and snapped her fingers.

“I know what you mean. That’s what I felt about my wife too. Everyone else just couldn’t seem to compete against her. Even if they could, they will never get to her level.” Mr Hwang chuckled and Yerin nodded fervently, agreeing with every word.

“Actually, I already have a plan, but I need one last thing before I execute it.” Yerin said and stopped walking.

“What is it, my dear?”

Yerin reached into the inner pocket of her padded coat and pulled out a small red box. She opened it and showed it to the man who smiled.

“Back to what I said about you and auntie, I have to listen to your thoughts too. I’ve told my parents and they seemed even happier than I was. More excited too. So, I’d like to ask you not as uncle or appa as you have always made me call you, but as Mr Hwang, Hwang Eunbi’s father. Do you think I am worthy enough of taking your daughter’s hand? Will you accept me as your daughter-in-law?” Yerin asked and took a deep breath. Her hands trembled slightly from both the nervousness and the cold.

“Like you, without a doubt or hesitation, yes. Eunbi has been hurt before, I’m sure she had told you before.” He said and Yerin nodded. “She cried all night and looked so broken… So listless for god knows how many days. As a father, it broke my heart to see my daughter like this. I swore that the next person who hurts her will pay dearly but it seems that she has been blessed by an angel who will protect her better than myself.”

“Ah, don’t say that… It’s only right for me to take care of her.” Yerin smiled as she closed the box and placed it back into her coat pocket.

“Still, you’re like an angel to her. I’ve never seen her this happy while talking about someone in my entire life. Just go for it, I have your back. She’ll love it.” Mr Hwang smiled and patted Yerin’s shoulder. He pulled her in for a hug and she unconsciously let out a sigh of relief.

 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

 

"There you two are. I was beginning to think that you two slipped and fell into a drain or something." Mrs Hwang jested and Eunbi cackled from the couch.

“We’re not that clumsy… Are we?” Mr Hwang looked at Yerin who shook her head.

“I don’t think we are.” Yerin chuckled and hung her padded coat on the hanger. They sat down at the dining table and said a quick prayer before tucking in.

“What did you two talk about?” Eunbi asked.

“Oh, you know, a guy to guy talk.” Mr Hwang winked and received a slap on the arm from Mrs Hwang. “Just kidding, we just talked about life and the future.”

“Future?" Eunbi asked again.

"What I plan to do next time and
y'know." Yerin said. The younger girl nodded slowly as she chewed her food.

"After lunch if you'd like we could go to the mall nearby to walk around if you don't feel like being cooped up in here till dinner." Mrs Hwang said and Yerin waved her hand.

"It's alright, auntie. I don't mind staying. You could show me B's baby pictures again to keep me entertained." Yerin teased and the girl pinched Yerin's sides.

"You've seen it so many times, aren't you sick of it?" Mrs Hwang asked, smiling at Yerin who was holding on to Eunbi's wrist to prevent the girl from attacking her.

"I have but it's still cute. I can never get enough of baby Eunbi. The cutest kid I have ever seen." Yerin said and Eunbi shoved the girl.

"I actually have another album you haven't seen before. I recently found it while packing the study." Mr Hwang piped in.

"Appa!" Eunbi cried in disbelief.

"Alright alright, no lover's fight at the table." Mrs Hwang said to calm the pair down. Eunbi pulled her hands back and narrowed her eyes at Yerin while the latter grinned back proudly. Mr and Mrs Hwang exchanged glances and smiled.

They really are like a married couple, Mr Hwang thought.