D - 23

Christmas Wonderland

Yerin ripped off a small piece of tape with her teeth and stuck the last mistletoe onto the door frame of their bedroom before taking a step back to admire her handiwork. She had spent her morning taping tiny bunches of tinsel mistletoes to the top of every doorframe -including the washroom- and ceiling in the most random places. There were at least 20 mistletoes positioned all over the apartment like y traps.

She looked back at the bed where Eunbi lay, sound asleep. Yerin couldn’t wait to see the girl’s reaction when she woke up. Silently shutting the door, she crawled back into bed.

They had been dating for almost 3 years now but only moved into a 3-bedroom apartment of their own at the beginning of this year. Yerin had spent much time with the younger girl that she could confidently say she knew Eunbi inside out. From her quirky antics and beagle-like personality to her more calm and reserved side, Yerin had nothing more but love and adoration for the sleeping girl. She had seen Eunbi sound asleep plenty of times, but she will never get over how angelic the girl looked with her eyes closed and the soft sunlight washing over her flawless, pale skin.

“How did I get this lucky?” Yerin whispered to herself as she gently Eunbi’s hair, a slight smile gracing her lips. She suddenly felt contented with life. Living under the same roof with the love of her life, being able to wake up beside one another every day (unless one of them had work), being able to spend the holidays together. The list doesn’t stop there. There were so many other smaller things that Yerin felt deeply grateful for.

Just then, Eunbi stirred, turning over to the other side which happened to be where Yerin was sitting. The girl let out a barely audible hum, as if questioning why Yerin was up instead of being asleep.

“Good morning, princess.” Yerin greeted in a hushed tone.

“Morning.” Eunbi returned the greeting, voice cracking as she stretched her arms out above her head, letting out a small yawn. “Why are you awake so early? It’s only… 10.”

“No reason really. I was just thinking about some stuff.” Yerin replied gently as she rubbed the girl’s upper arm.

“Work?”

“You. And how lucky I am to have you.” Yerin replied and Eunbi chortled, lightly hitting the back of Yerin’s hand.

“So much cheese early in the morning.”

“You love it though.” Yerin grinned as Eunbi reached up to pinch her girlfriend’s soft cheeks.

“I do. And I love you too.” Eunbi said before curling her fingers into fists and punching the air.

“Cute. Do you want to get up now?” the dark-haired girl asked and Eunbi nodded. She flipped the blanket off her legs and swung them off the bed. Eunbi flipped the covers back as Yerin straightened the pillows. Before the younger girl could walk out of the door, Yerin grabbed on to her shirt, bringing her to a stop right under the mistletoe.

“Wh-” Whatever Eunbi was about to say was promptly cut off by a chaste kiss from Yerin.

“Go wash up now.” She told the younger girl with a cheeky smile. Although perplexed, Eunbi walked towards the washroom where she was once again stopped by Yerin who had yet to let go of her shirt.

“What n-” Another kiss to cut off her question.

“In you go!” Yerin said as she gave Eunbi a light shove before shutting the door, preventing any further questions from the girl.

“The heck?” Eunbi’s muffled voice could be heard from behind the door before the sound of running water filled the washroom. Yerin waited patiently outside the door for the younger girl to finish her morning routine. The moment the door opened, Eunbi was once again pulled into another kiss by Yerin.

“Minty.” Yerin grinned after she pulled away.

“Woah wait, before you continue robbing me of kisses, not that I’m complaining, at least tell me what’s going on? Do you have some hormone spike overnight or something?” Eunbi asked as she raised an eyebrow. She had a firm grip on Yerin’s wrist, preventing the older girl from escaping her questions. Wordlessly, Yerin held Eunbi’s chin with her thumb and index finger, raising the girl’s head up.

“Oh.” Was all Eunbi said when she caught sight of the small fluff of green and red tinsel taped to the door frame. She certainly didn’t see it there when she entered the washroom. Looking back at their bedroom, her gaze shifted upwards to the top of the door frame where she saw another mistletoe. Naturally, she turned to look down the hall and saw the said piece of decoration at the top of every doorway.

“Is this why you were up so early?” Eunbi asked, finally piecing everything together.

“Yup. What do you think?” Yerin asked with a lopsided grin.

“I think you’re ridiculous.” Eunbi scoffed and the older girl pouted. The shorter girl then grabbed the front of Yerin’s shirt, tugging it firmly and causing Yerin to stumble forwards slightly from the sudden force. A cold hand slipped onto the side of her neck and a thumb positioned itself just in front of her ear. Before she knew it, Eunbi had already lurched forward, closing the gap between their faces.

“Ridiculously adorable.” Eunbi whispered, minty breath tickling Yerin’s lips.

“Should we play a game? Whoever manages to avoid the mistletoes the most by the end of today wins.” Yerin suggested as she interlocked her fingers behind Eunbi’s neck.

“Doesn’t that mean we’ll be pretty much trapped in the living room since you have it stuck almost all over the house?” Eunbi chuckled, resting her hands on Yerin’s waist.

“Oh, yea…”

“Didn’t think that through now, did you?”

“Nope.” Yerin smiled sheepishly. “Just kidding. Why would I stick that all over the house and ask you to avoid it? I should ask you walk under it as much as possible.”

“.” Eunbi pinched Yerin’s sides. Suddenly, Yerin pulled her arms away from the younger girl, bending down to scoop Eunbi into her arms.

“Ready?” Yerin asked, bouncing Eunbi up to adjust her weight evenly on her arms which caused the girl to squeak and wrap her arms around the older girl’s neck.

The dark-haired girl began to carry Eunbi bridal style around the house, stopping under every mistletoe to give Eunbi little kisses all over her face, making the girl squeal in delight. Eunbi’s face was almost as red as the sweatshirt that she was wearing. She stumbled around slightly when Yerin set her down, making Yerin hold on to her elbow before she could fall face first onto the floor.

“Calm down!” Yerin chuckled as she steadied Eunbi who was a giggling mess.

“I think I’m intoxicated by your kisses.” She slurred through her giggles. She held on to Yerin’s arm as she leaned back, letting her weight pull them onto the couch.

“I wonder how you’re going to survive until the end of today if you’re already laughing so much.” Yerin smiled as she supported her weight on her arms, hovering above the younger girl.

“I’ll survive on your kisses.” Eunbi replied with a blinding smile.

“You’re crazy, B.” Yerin laughed.

“Crazy for you~” the younger girl sang with a grin, pulling Yerin down into her embrace.