D - 17

Christmas Wonderland

The dancer leaned against the kitchen counter as she wiped a clear jar dry with a sheet of kitchen towel. There was an assortment of chocolates spread across the countertop with the lid of the jar buried somewhere beneath the pile and another jar at the far end of the counter. Eunbi was preparing today’s present for Yerin in the open. The latter was currently in the study, busy compiling the photos that she had taken for the most recent shoot to send it to her client.

Eunbi set the glass jar gently on the countertop and tossed the kitchen towel into the trash can. She took a pair of scissors and cut a bag of M&M’s open. She poured all the different flavors of M&M’s into a bowl and mixed them around with a spoon before pouring them into the first jar, careful not to squish any. She placed the lid back on and tied a red ribbon around the neck of the jar before placing it aside. Eunbi then cut open and poured the individually wrapped treats onto the countertop, jumbling them about before placing them into the second jar which also had a red ribbon around its neck.

When she was done, she tossed the plastic packaging away and cleaned up the counter.

“Looks nice.” She mumbled to herself as she looked at the jars. Eunbi left the jars on the counter and walked into the study where Yerin was still working. The girl had a hand on her head to push up the stray hairs that fell in front of her face with slightly furrowed brows. There was a pen in her right hand which was also holding on to the mouse as she furiously clicked away, releasing her grip every now and then to scribble something down on a folder in front of her.

The younger girl sat down in her chair and remained quiet to avoid distracting Yerin. They had gotten into a small argument in the past after Eunbi accidentally interrupted the photographer who was amid editing the last couple of photos. It was then that she discovered the serious side of Yerin. Not that the girl wasn’t serious about other things, but the way she would want utmost silence so that she could concentrate on getting the job done.

“Bored?” Yerin asked, pulling her girlfriend out of her thoughts.

“Not really. I’m watching you work.” Eunbi replied.

“Sounds creepy. I’m almost done, just have to attach the file and send it.” Yerin said as she set her pen down on top of the folder.

“Take your time.”

“Which reminds me, your present of the day is this.” Yerin said as she picked up a glass terrarium from the corner of her desk.

“Did you just think of giving me that because you saw it?” Eunbi asked with a raised brow.

“No.” Yerin huffed. “I know you saw this here for like the longest time but no, I never bought it for myself. I had this Christmas thing all planned out since November. I was just cultivating it so that it would look nicer. I bought it when it was still tiny but now it’s a little more grown up.” She explained as she cradled the terrarium in her hands.

“Looks really pretty.” Eunbi said as she rolled over on her swivel chair to take the purple flowers from Yerin.

“Nertera granadensis. Or coral bead plant for short.” Yerin said with a smile as Eunbi tenderly lifted the glass bowl from her hands, brushing their fingers together.

“You sound like a botanist.” The younger girl chuckled.

“It has cute orange berries too, but I don’t know if they will produce big ones. Or any for that matter.”

“It’s okay, it’s still pretty to look at. Thank you~ Which reminds me, your present is in the kitchen.” Eunbi said as she set the terrarium down on her desk at the spot right by the window.

“Kitchen? You made lunch?”

“If I did make lunch, the fire department would be here by now.” Eunbi scoffed. “You’ll know when you see it.”

“Ey, you’re not a bad cook. You haven’t even cooked that much. And by cook, I mean actual food, not instant ramen.” Yerin quickly added and the younger girl rolled her eyes.

“We’ll see when I do cook again.” The dancer sniggered as she grazed the flower petal with her index finger. Yerin turned her attention back to her computer and saw that the file upload was complete. The sound of keyboard clicking should be heard as the girl typed up an email.

“Done! Time to enjoy our day.” Yerin said and shut her laptop after making sure the email was successfully delivered. Eunbi stood up with a gentle smile and held out her hand for Yerin.

“So what kinda surprise can possibly be placed in the kitchen?” Yerin asked as they walked out of the study.

“I’m pretty sure you asked a similar question earlier.” The younger girl laughed as she led Yerin to the jars of chocolate. As soon as the older girl caught sight of it, an audible gasp left her slightly parted lips and a huge smile grew on her face.

“Chocolates?” Yerin asked gleefully as she looked at the jar of M&M’s.

“Yep. There’s a little bit of everything mixed around in there. Peanut, milk chocolate, mint and whatnot. And this is the jar of everything you love.” Eunbi said as she pushed the second jar closer to Yerin.

“I think I’m going to get diabetes. Literally and figuratively.” The photographer said as she spun the other jar around to look at its content. “You even put Hershey kisses in there oh my god!”

“See? I knew you’d like it.” Eunbi said proudly as she folded her arms over her chest, leaning against the counter.

“So, this was what you were doing earlier… I heard the sound of plastic wrappers being scuffled about from the study.”

“You could hear that?” Eunbi asked, slightly surprised.

“I’m not hard of hearing so yes I could hear that. It wasn’t that soft, in case you didn’t know.” Yerin teased, making Eunbi puff out her cheeks. “Cute.”

“How shall we the rest of our day now?” Eunbi asked. Yerin tapped her chin in thought as she looked around, trying to see if something around the house would give her an idea. Her gaze fell upon the Christmas tree in the corner.

“Presents?” she said, still looking at the tree.

“More presents?” Eunbi asked, confused.

“No, I mean for the kids. Have we gotten them anything yet?”

“Oh. Ohh, no, I don’t think we have. Oops.” The younger girl let out a sheepish laughter.

“I guess we could come up with a little list of presents for them and go shopping tomorrow. How does that sound?” Yerin flashed her pearly whites at Eunbi who shrugged.

“I wanna give Yewonnie a huge teddy.” Eunbi chirped.

“Anything you say~” the older girl said as she slung her arm over Eunbi’s shoulder, walking the girl to their bedroom.