D - 20

Christmas Wonderland

Eunbi looked through the rack of pullovers as she drummed her fingers on the metal bar. She was currently trying to pick out a pair of couple pullovers for her and Yerin. The photographer was still at work. Since she was working through the night, Eunbi had insisted on fetching her to and from work despite Yerin’s protests. Of course, Eunbi won and got her way after reasoning with Yerin that it’s better for her to drive since the older girl would be tired, making it dangerous to drive alone.

“May I help you, Miss?” A voice asked, bringing Eunbi out of her thoughts. She turned around to see a shorter young lady that looked around the same age.

“Oh, yes. I’m thinking of getting matching pullovers, do you think you can help me pick a nice one?” Eunbi asked and the lady nodded.

“Sure, do you have any particular design in mind?”

“Preferably something simple. Stripes on the sleeves or a small print over the chest is alright.”

“Then I guess you could take a look at these over here. I think you’ll find something you like in this section.” The lady said, gesturing at a portion of the rack. “There’s some over here too that you can check out.” She added, pointing at another rack behind her.

“Okay, thanks.” Eunbi smiled and nodded her head. The lady returned to her seat behind the counter, leaving the dancer to browse through the clothes. Eunbi decided on getting black pullovers which narrowed her choices down to three designs; plain, striped or a small laurel sewn on the top left where a front pocket was.

She rubbed her chin, deep in thought. The stripes were a little excessive, leaving her with the remaining two options. Eventually, she decided to go with the pullover which had the laurel sewn on the front so that it wouldn’t look as plain and ordinary. Eunbi also realized that there were numbers on the back of the shirts and she almost let out an absurd scoff when she managed to find the numbers 03 and 19.

“The total would be 48472.97 ₩. Payment by cash or card?” the lady asked.

“Card.” Eunbi said as she handed her credit card over the counter.

“Your boyfriend must be lucky to have such a caring and pretty girlfriend like you.” The cashier smiled as she processed the transaction.

“Err… Yeah. I guess he is.” Eunbi gave the lady an awkward smile. She wanted to correct the lady, but she decided that the inevitable questioning or disgust wasn’t worth her time. After all, South Korea is still on the conservative side despite its westernization.

“Thank you and have a good day!” the lady flashed her business smile as she handed Eunbi the bag of clothes and the latter bowed before leaving the store. She fished her phone out of her pocket as she walked towards the escalator and saw that she still had some time to spare, hence she decided to take away some lunch. Trust Yerin to be the kind that focuses so much on work that she would unknowingly skip meals due to her tunnel vision.

With their lunch in hand, Eunbi returned to their car and began the short journey to Pangyo.

 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

 

“One last shot.” Yerin said as she looked through the viewfinder. The shutter clicked and the photographer lowered the camera, giving the models a big grin and a thumb up. “It’s a wrap! Thank you! You’ve worked hard!”

The models bowed and the crew began to pack up. Yerin walked back to the corner where she had placed her bags, concentrated on removing the wide-to-telephoto lens. She kept a firm grip on the slightly bulky lens and her camera, careful not to drop either of the expensive objects. Yerin opened the black case and placed the camera and lens back in their places, making sure they were fitted snugly in their foam cut-outs before shutting the case and latching it.

As she was about to turn around, a pair of hands appeared from behind and covered her eyes.

“Am I supposed to guess who?” Yerin asked and she felt the hands shake slightly, indicating a yes. “Hmm… I wonder who it could be.” She continued with a grin. “Is it Yewon? Or maybe Yuna?”

A scoff could be heard and Yerin laughed. She pulled the hands from her eyes and spun round to face the girl.

“Of course, it’s Eunbi. Hwang Eunbi. Your cold hands and perfume are a blatant giveaway.” The photographer smiled and hugged the younger girl.

“How was it? Tiring?” Eunbi asked as she took Yerin’s camera case in one hand and held the girl’s hand with her other.

“It was alright. Except for a couple of mishaps here and there, everything went along smoothly.” Yerin smiled as she let out a yawn and rubbed her eyes. “Home?”

“Home. You need to sleep, we can play later." Eunbi responded, smiling at the older girl’s cute action. It was amusing to see how Yerin could go from being a professional photographer calling out orders to a child-like angel in a second. The girl certainly had her fair share of charming qualities and that was one of the many things Eunbi liked about her.

“Okey~” Yerin replied, sounding a little loopy from the lack of sleep. The younger girl bowed to the staff and thanked them as they made their way out of the set. As soon as Yerin got into the car, she leaned against the window and closed her eyes.

“This is why you shouldn’t drive.” Eunbi chided as she started the engine. The only response she got was a soft hum. The drive back was smooth and the gentle rocking of the car lulled Yerin to sleep almost immediately after they had set off. Even after arriving back at their apartment, the older girl was still sound asleep. Not wanting to wake Yerin, Eunbi got out of the car before walking over to the other side to carry Yerin up.

Upon entering the house, Eunbi set the case gently down on the couch and walked straight into their bedroom. She set Yerin down on the bed and removed the girl’s coat, shoes and socks before tucking her into bed. She left Yerin to catch up on her sleep in silence after giving her a kiss on her forehead.

 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

 

Yerin woke after a mere three hours of sleep and got out of bed to find Eunbi.

“You’re awake? It’s only been three hours. Go back to sleep.” Eunbi frowned slightly when she saw a tired Yerin in the hallway.

“I’m hungry.” Yerin said sheepishly, voice cracking slightly.

“Didn’t have lunch, did you?” Eunbi asked as she got up to go to the kitchen. Yerin shook her head as she rubbed her eyes, looking much like a child. “I packed some lunch for you earlier. Here, eat before going back to sleep.”

“You want me to turn into a pig?” Yerin scoffed as she took the sandwich from Eunbi, walking back to the couch.

“It’s alright, a little weight won’t kill.” Eunbi jested as the photographer unwrapped her sandwich. It didn’t take long for Yerin to demolish her late lunch along with cookies.

“Oh, right, wait here, I have a surprise for you.” Yerin said as she got up to throw her rubbish away.

“So do I.” Eunbi grinned.

“What?”

“I have a surprise for you too. Let’s both go get them and come back here.” The younger girl said and they dispersed. Not a minute later, Eunbi was back on the couch with the plastic bag in hand and Yerin emerged from the study with her laptop.

“Rock, paper, scissors. Loser goes first?” Yerin said as she raised a loose fist up. Eunbi nodded.

가위 바위 !” They chanted in unison as they threw out a hand. Eunbi wrapped her ‘paper’ around Yerin’s ‘stone’ with a grin.

“So, what’s your surprise?” Eunbi asked as she hugged the plastic bag closer.

“I planned to have a movie marathon today since tomorrow is our off day and we can stay up late. Also, convenient since I’m tired today.”

“If you’re tired then why not sleep?” Eunbi raised an eyebrow.

“Because I rather spend time with you in real life than in my dreams.” Yerin said with a wink and the younger girl snorted. “What’s yours?”

“I bought us couple pullovers.” Eunbi said softly, suddenly becoming shy. She pulled the pair of pullovers out of the bag and handed the one with the number 19 to Yerin. “They coincidentally had ones with our birthdates on it so I figured why not?”

“Aww, it’s so cute!” Yerin cooed as she turned the pullover to the back.

“Do you like it?”

“I love it. And it’s fleece! I love fleece! It’s so comfy.” The older girl said as she hugged the pullover, nuzzling her face into the soft fabric.

“We could wear comfy pullovers to watch movies. Isn’t it fitting?” Eunbi suggested and the photographer nodded without hesitation.

“We’ll be all snug and warm.” The girl grinned. “Go change and get some snacks, I’ll set up the movie.”

“This is going to be fun!” Eunbi giggled as she ruffled Yerin’s hair before darting off.

Movie marathons are always fun.