17.

Blind

The doors sounded like they were kicked open and a gun shot followed right after. Hakyeon felt pain on his left arm and widened his eyes in shock. The pain didn't come from the bullet. It was Taekwoon's tight grip around him.

"T-Taekwoon...", was all Hakyeon could say before another shot was heard.

The prince fell to the ground as he held onto Hakyeon's feet. Hakyeon blinked in shock and horror at the sight of Taekwoon. He had jumped in front of Hakyeon and took the shot for him. Hakyeon sank to his feet and cupped Taekwoon's face, breathing quickly.

"S-Stay with me Taek! Wake up!", Hakyeon yelled and trashed his body frantically. He couldn't believe his eyes at all.

The room fell quiet momentarily before people started screaming and running around the place. The guards tried keeping everything in order but it was pointless. Everyone was scurrying outside and paid no attention to whoever had been shooting. Hong Bin however, was the only one keen on punishing whoever had done it.

Hong Bin held onto his gun and followed the gun man. He ran after the psychotic man, pulled his collar and yanked him onto the floor. Hong Bin threw several punches and kicks to weaken the man, before pointing the gun to his head.

"Who the hell are you and why did you come," Hong Bin spoke through gritted teeth.

The man wheezed and stared at Hong Bin. "The old King is dead, but his dying wish was to see that son of a slave suffer."

Hong Bin punched his face again. "I shouldn't be doing this but you. Do you have a dying wish?"

Hong Bin asked and immediately pulled the trigger and shot him in the head. He stood up and turned his head to face Hyuk, who seemed to be stunned.

"H-Hong Bin," Hyuk stuttered out, too shocked at the sight of the dead man who was lying in a pool of his own blood.

Hong Bin walked towards Hyuk but the younger flinched away. "Hakyeon-hyung and the rest needs you now."

With that, Hyuk walked back to the alter and Hong Bin followed. Back at the alter, Taekwoon was being strapped onto a stretcher. Hakyeon's eyes were blood red and he was shaking badly. Hong Bin rushed to his side immediately and engulfed him in his arms.

"B-Bin-"

"Shh," Hong Bin calmed him down. "Taekwoon-Hyung will be okay. He's gonna be okay so you'll need to stay strong okay?"

Hakyeon looked up at his foster brother apprehensively and choked out another cry.

"I've taken care of the gun man already. You're safe," Hong Bin whispered.

The Queen tapped Hong Bin's shoulder. "We should start making our way to the hospital."

There was pain in her voice but nobody said anything. How could they? It was supposed to be the perfect day but it was very clear everything was going downhill.

At the hospital, Hakyeon laid lifelessly against the wall while the rest of them were sat on the seats provided outside the operating room. Hakyeon sighed and pulled his hair subconsciously, cursing under his breath. This was his all his fault. If he hadn't met Taekwoon in the first place, none of this would have happened. Taekwoon wouldn't be injured and on the verge of death. No one would be worried. Sobin was in the Queen's arms when she started crying out of nowhere. The Queen passed Sobin to her father and Hakyeon held her in his arms protectively.

"I really don't deserve you or Taekwoon," he whispered and placed a small kiss on her forehead, which immediately quitened her down.

A few hours into the operation theatre, the surgeon opened the doors silently and removed his mask.

"He was shot in his lower abdomen and upper arm. A lot of blood was lost so Mr Jung is very weak now. He should be awake by tomorrow but don't stress him out," the surgeon commented and gave a polite nod.

The Queen thanked the surgeon while Hakyeon immediately went into the room and clutched the side of the bed. Taekwoon was asleep, as said, but the sight of the oxygen mask and bandages pained Hakyeon. A single tear rolled down his face as he tried to pull himself together. The rest started entering soom after and mostly sat in silence. No one was in the mood to speak that night.

When it was morning, Hakyeon found himself on the edge of the hospital bed and a note beside him.

We brought Sobin home first because she needed her milk and a bath. The Queen is tending to the press and the rest are helping her. I'll visit when I can. Take care.

Hong Bin

Hakyeon sighed and placed the note aside and brushed a few start strands of hair from Taekwoon's face. He traced his finger along Taekwoon's cheeks and his jaw, before cupping his whole face with his hand.

"I'm so sorry ah, Taekwoon," Hakyeon choked out and sobbed quietly.

"Not... Not your fault..."

Hakyeon perked his head up immediately and looked at Taekwoon. Was he hearing things from the stress? He felt Taekwoon's hand twitch in his and covered his mouth and held onto his fiancé tightly.

"Taekwoon, you pabo! Why did you jump in front of me?! You could've died you idiot," Hakyeon sobbed and choked out his words.

Taekwoon chuckled and tried to push himself up into a sitting position, only to be stopped by Hakyeon.  "Because I promised you... That I wouldn't allow you to get hurt anymore... Remember?"

Taekwoon's spoke weakly and brought his hand up to cupped Hakyeon's face gently. He stared at him lovingly and gave Hakyeon's soft cheeks a light pinch. The older male continued tearing up just because he'd still felt guilty.

"I remember but this was a life and death issue! You could've...", Hakyeon trailed off and shut his eyes.

"Look at me," Taekwoon whispered and locked his eyes with Hakyeon's. He wiped away Hakyeon's tears with his thumb and placed his hand along Hakyeon's jaw.

"If could've died, yes, but I didn't. Hakyeon if that bullet had hit you... I would never forgive myself," Taekwoon said.

Hakyeon nodded. "You're really an idiot, you know?"

"An idiot who loves you. Now go wash up, you smell," Taekwoon joked and scrunched his nose, earning a glare from Hakyeon.

"Alright you meanie," Hakyeon replied and went to the door. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I'm also an idiot for loving you," Hakyeon said and closed the door behind him. Taekwoon smiled to himself and sighed in contentment. His body was aching and it was painful, but knowing that Hakyeon and the rest were safe, he was more than thankful that he'd take the shot.