Part I - Chapter 5

Broken Wings

Her left cheek warms up the moment she turns around and walks away from Jinyoung. Jinyoung doesn’t say anything else after Jisoo thanked him. He watches as she takes steps in front of him.

 


 

“Took you long,” Bogum looks up at her.

 

She calmly straightens her dress and sits beside Bogum.

 

“Yeah, I need to make a call Oppa.” Jisoo smiles at Bogum.

 

“I thought you’re going to ditch me again,” Bogum jokingly says.

 

“You know I won’t do that, right?”

 

Bogum laughs a little. “Have you met Director-nim?” Bogum asks.

 

“I haven’t,” Jisoo looks around the auditorium. “I should greet him.”

 

“You don’t have to,” Bogum tells Jisoo in hurry. “Let's do it after the first part end.”

 

Jisoo looks at him half-standing.

 

“Okay,” Jisoo sits again. “Let's meet him after this.”

 

“Yeah, let's enjoy the show first.”

 

Bogum sneaks a peek at Jisoo.

 

“Are you nervous?” he asks.

 

Jisoo thinks for a while. Is she nervous?

 

“I don’t think so, Oppa” she replies. “I’m not nervous.”

 

She pauses for a bit.

 

“I just feel guilty about everything.”

 

Bogum senses her worry.

 

“You know, us, the production team, the casts and especially the money owner,” he grins a bit, “were confused and scared. But mostly, worried. We thought something bad happened to you.

 

“You canceled every time. You didn’t come up to our celebration dinner.”

 

“I know, Oppa.” She cuts him halfway. “I called you and Director-nim, right? It’s bad timings. I really am sorry, Oppa.” Jisoo looks down at her hands.

 

She feels terrible. The whole running-away-from-Jinyoung-thing indeed makes everyone worry about her. She apologizes through messages and phone calls before. Though the casts and crews are okay and don’t mind about it, she knows she’s given them enough trouble this whole time.

 

“Stop apologizing. I know you feel bad about it.” Bogum shifts to his right. “What I don’t get is, why does it feel like you've been avoiding these events?”

 

Jisoo startles at the question.

 

“I didn’t avoid them, Oppa,” Jisoo defends herself in panic.

 

“Really?” Bogum studies her face a bit more. He knows she is lying. He knew she lied that night when she called him to explain her absence as well.

 

“Arasso,” he turns away. “But you know you can talk to me if you want to.”

 

Jisoo feels bad about lying to Bogum Oppa. He cares about her. And Jisoo doesn’t want to burden him with her problems. Because, he’ll help, and she’ll feel guilty about it.

 

The show suddenly starts after the conversation ends. Nayeon and Yang Se Chan are hosting the event. A very comical duo, she thinks.

 

They change presenter every 5 minutes. Jisoo knows these people. Jisoo recognizes The Best Scriptwriter awardee. She also recognizes The Best Original Song awardee. She misses this, she thinks. Is inevitable, but she belongs in this world. After three months excluding herself from the acting industry, she feels home again.

 

“We win Jisoo. Director-nim wins the Best Director award.” Bogum wakes her from her thoughts.

 

Jisoo now pays attention to the crowd in the back. Yoo Ha-director, or as the casts call him, Director-nim, stands from his seat and steps out to the stage. Jisoo and Bogum automatically stand from their seats and claps along the way for their director.

 

She is so happy. It was even better than clapping along on the couch at her home. Watching people smile on the spot as her movie achieves something emerges her spirit about acting once again. Right now, she feels ridiculously stupid for avoiding these shows.

 

“It almost ends,” whispers Bogum to Jisoo. “Are you ready for your speech?”

 

Bogum teases Jisoo.

 

“Yya…,” Jisoo embarrasses. “It's not like I'm going to win.”

 

“Of course you will,” Bogum nudges her. “There’s no other way someone will snatch the award from you.”

 

“How about you, Oppa? Have you prepared your speech?” Jisoo asks him.

 

“I don’t need it. Jinyoung is going to take the award after all.”

 

Jisoo’s heart skips a beat as Bogum mentions his name.

 

“Don’t you watch the other shows? Jinyoungie won almost all The Best Actor awards.” Bogum continues talking.

 

“So you better prepare a speech right now. Jinyoung is already accustomed to his speeches. You don’t want to look pathetic at the stage right?”

 

Jisoo grabs her dress unknowingly. She forgets about this.

 

They have finished 20 nominations and 3 commercial breaks. This show is about to end and she clearly forgets about the thing she fears the most. Her heart thumps and it beats faster than usual.

 

The announcement for her category will be presented 10 minutes before the Daesang Award. The moment where everyone gets back to their sofa and actually pays attention to the TV. If that’s not the worst, she doesn’t know anything else.

 

She needs to calm down, for sure. Though, she isn’t sure why she needs to calm down.

 

“And please welcome, Park Shin Hye and Yoo Ji Tae.”

 

Nayeon’s voice pulls Jisoo back to reality.

 

On the stage, she can see Park Shin Hye and Yoo Ji Tae walk side by side toward the center.

 

Park Shin Hye speaks first.

 

“Good evening ladies and gentleman.”

 

“Good evening everyone,” Yoo Ji Tae follows.

 

“We are here to announce the nominees for Best Actor in A Leading Role category.” Park Shin Hye continues talking.

 

“Here are the nominees for Best Actor in A Leading Role.”

 

“Park Jinyoung in ‘Anyone’.”

 

Jinyoung’s face being shown on the screen up front. He’s smiling.

 

“Park Bogum in ‘A Man with Knives’.”

 

Now the screen shows Bogum’s face. The other 3 nominees go by without Jisoo paying much attention.

 

“And the winner is,” Park Shin Hye continues, “Congratulation, Park Jinyoung!”

 

Jisoo turns her head to where Jinyoung’s sit is. He’s there, standing and bowing to everyone. He looks great with black, Jisoo wonders.

 

Jinyoung receives the trophy and flower as he reaches the center of the stage. Though, no one notice, he is more than happy.

 

“Good evening eveyone,” Jinyoung clears his throat. “First of all, I’d like to thank my family who believes in me this whole time. Director-nim, Producer-nim, writers, Haneulie-hyung and Yoojungie, and all the casts and crews of ‘Anyone’. You guys really are amazing.

 

“To my GOT7 members, thank you for your support. And JYPE’s managers and staff, I couldn’t have done this without you.

 

“This is my first work after my enlistment; I have doubts and fears as I said yes to Director-nim a year ago. I was scared i the public won’t recognize and accept me after my two years’ absence. But everyone, especially my members, JYPE and my family encouraged me to take this challenge and give my best. And I was overwhelmed by the enthusiasm everyone has been giving to this movie.

 

“This award will forever be treasured and remembered,” Jinyoung finishes and bows once again.

 

Jisoo is in deep thought when Park Jinyoung finishes. She is proud of him at this moment. She knows of his struggles. His doubts about being an actor. If tonight she’s there as his girlfriend, she will tell him amazing he is and he deserves this.

 

“You look nervous, Jisoo,” Bogum actually slaps her arm. “Smile, the camera will come at you in a moment.”

 

“And the nominees for Best Actress in A Leading Role are,” Jisoo looks back at the stage and realizes the presenter changes already. It’s Ahn Jae Hong sunbae and Kim Ji Won sunbae.

 

Kim Ji Won continues, “Kim Jisoo in ‘A Man with Knives’”

 

As what Bogum said, the camera comes at her and shows her face on the screen. She smiles a bit.

 

She looks away the moment the camera changes to another nominee.

 

Her nervousness makes her forget the other nominees. She tries not to look at the screen. She can’t focus right now.

 

“And the winner is,” Ahn Jae Hong already at the end of her job. He opens the envelope and shares it with Kim Ji Won.

 

“Dul, set,” Kim Ji Won whispers on the mic.

 

“Congratulations, Kim Jisoo,” Ahn Jae Hong and Kim Ji Won cheer and clap happily.

 

Bogum and Suzy stand to give a round of applause. Everyone clap. The whole auditorium cheer. Meanwhile, Kim Jisoo freezes at her seat.

 

Is this really happening?

 

Jisoo pushes herself up to bow and thank everyone. She walks down the only step in front of her and already at the bottom of the auditorium. She looks around trying to grasp the moment. She’s been busy thinking about Jinyoung, she forgets she’s here as a nominee.

 

She is happy.

 

She is beyond happy.

 

She never really expects to win an award for her works. Working hard and giving her best is all that she wants to do. Though tonight, she feels as if the world is telling her that she did a wonderful job, so it’s not a crime to receive this present.

 

She walks to the right side staircase carrying her right side of the dress trying not to step on it. And eventually, she actually manages not to trip on her way to the stage.

 

As she steps on the staircase, she can see Jinyoung standing a bit far behind the curtain at the back. He looks at her.

 

The moment Jisoo looks at Jinyoung, Jisoo understands. It’s not him whom she afraid of. It’s not him whom she’s been avoiding.

 

It’s her, for goodness sake.

 

It’s her heart and 10 years really are not enough to avoid it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Happy Wednesday to anyone who is experiencing a hard day at work!

Hope this chapter cheer everyone up. 

Have you guys seen Jinyoung and Jisoo recent interview? They scarily match