Part III - Chapter 21

Broken Wings

One Year Later

 

“Kyoto definitely is the best, you got a ten out of ten for bringing me in this vacation,” Jisoo sits beside Jinyoung in front of the hot spring a little while after taking a shower.

 

They both had two weeks break from work, and the best idea that could come up from Jinyoung is a getaway.

 

Jinyoung planned everything from a month before, after they decided to pick Kyoto as their vacation spot, Jisoo didn’t oppose or did anything out of the normal, she agreed immediately and prepared herself.

 

“Yeah, no paparazzi or anything.”

 

“It’s true. How do you know about the back door?”

 

Jinyoung turns his head and grins, “Joong Ki hyung. He’s really good at escaping.”

 

The whole year has been a roller coaster ride, both for Jinyoung and Jisoo. The whole South Korea was dying to capture every single movement they make in public or in private, which cause annoyance for the later. Jinyoung and Jisoo understand that the attention they've been receiving is part of being in this relationship, and they try to enjoy it. But since they both still human, they crave for alone time, personal moment, that’s why a vacation with only the two of them definitely the best escape plan.

 

“You’re not going to the shower?”

 

“I’m going to the hot spring.”

 

“Ah, you’re right. I’ll go later. I want to take a nap.”

 

Jinyoung eyeing Jisoo mischievously. “You don’t want to see me ?”

 

Jisoo glares at Jinyoung, throwing daggers out of her eyes.

 

“Stop it,” Jisoo stands and leaves Jinyoung behind.

 

They stay in one of Kyoto’s most favourite inn, it has their own hot spring in their room and a beautiful view of the mountains. Jisoo picked this inn simply because of the reputation and the beautiful scenery. But Jinyoung was so sure she picked this inn to have with him all the time.

 

“Oh come on Jisoo. I know you’ve been waiting to strip me here.”

 

“You’re crazy.”

 

 

Jisoo wakes up right before the sun sets and finds Jinyoung, not in the room. He probably out to take some pictures, Jisoo mumbles in her mind. She takes out her luggage and looks for a change, they’re going to a dinner after this and she wants to be pretty.

 

“Jisoo,” Jisoo hear Jinyoung’s voice from the bathroom as she changes.

 

“In the bathroom.”

 

Jisoo hears footsteps coming and waits for Jinyoung to open the door.

 

“You’re preparing for dinner?”

 

“Yes, where have you been?”

 

Jinyoung stares at the half- Jisoo, he knows this is not the right time, so he pushes his dirty mind to the back of his head.

 

“Snacks and photos. You should surely cover your chest,” Jinyoung turns slowly from Jisoo. “I might eat you up.”

 

Jisoo blushes at his remarks and unknowingly cover her chest. Jinyoung always has this cheeky side of him and Jisoo still has a hard time plays along with it.

 

“I’m almost ready, wait.”

 

Jisoo tidies up her hair into a ponytail and wears a simple makeup with eyeglasses. It’s still cold in Kyoto, she layered herself with a scarf, a long sleeve shirt and a long coat. She hopes she won’t get caught or anything. Jisoo gets out from the bathroom and finds Jinyoung on their bed, looking through his camera.

 

“You got good photos?” Jisoo leans in front of Jinyoung.

 

“Not yet, you’re still not in it.”

 

Jisoo blushes, for the hundredth time since they arrived, she will never get used to Jinyoung’s sweet talk. It’s not cringy, it feels so soft but it feels like he doesn’t really mean it.

 

Jinyoung raises his head to see Jisoo, he smiles cutely.

 

“Why are you still blushing everytime I say things like that?”

 

“I don’t know,” Jisoo moves away. “Let’s go.”

 

Jinyoung giggles, he stands from the bed and follows Jisoo.

 

Kyoto is still cold in March and nothing interesting happens. It’s the perfect occasion for the both of them, without no one looking and especially the quiet atmosphere. Jinyoung takes Jisoo for dinner near in Pontocho. It’s a small restaurant with minimum lighting but the food is amazing. Jinyoung found out about the place from a sunbae before, and eager to try the lobster ever since.

 

Jinyoung knows for sure Jisoo will like the restaurant, it’s tiny, not too crowded and facing the Kamo River. It’s romantic, but not too romantic.

 

“May I see the photos?”

 

Jisoo and Jinyoung already out from the restaurant from 9 pm. They’re walking along the river to immerse themselves in the chilly air of Kyoto for a moment.

 

“Sure,” Jinyoung hands his camera.

 

Jinyoung still loves photography, and in this trip, he brings two cameras, the DSLR and a film camera. Right now, he carries his DSLR.

 

Jisoo walks to the side and stops to go through the photos. She always likes Jinyoung’s photo, it’s awkward and pure, reminds it of her.

 

“This is cute,” Jisoo talks while looking at the camera.

 

The wind is chilly, the light is dim, and Jinyoung can only see the sparkles in Jisoo’s eyes. The past year has been a challenging period of his life. His career, her career, his personal life, his friends, his family, her family, everything suddenly connected with each other. Every moves and action he makes, become important because everything might get hurt.

 

And with those, Jisoo is the one he can count on. He would go to her when he needed something to discuss. He would call her just to hear her opinion. It’s as if everything won’t work if he doesn’t consult it with Jisoo. And that has occupied his mind for a while.

 

“Do you want me to take a picture of you?” Jisoo looks up and smiles at Jinyoung.

 

Jinyoung startles a bit, “no. I don’t like it.”

 

“Oh please. You’re good in front of the camera.” Jisoo brings the camera in front of her face and ready to photograph Jinyoung when suddenly his hand reaches hers.

 

“I don’t like it, Jisoo.”

 

Jinyoung grabs her hand and slowly takes his camera. Jinyoung stares at her eyes, making sure she’s okay, but mostly because there’s something he needs to say to her.

 

“Okay, I’m sorry,” Jisoo pouts and let go of the camera.

 

Jisoo turns on her side and walks again. She leaves Jinyoung behind and continues the stroll.

 

Jinyoung snickers to see her like that, it’s cute, he thinks. He stops for a moment and when he sees a great angle he snaps a picture.

 

What Jisoo never realizes Jinyoung has a few photos of her that he took secretly. Sometimes with his phone, sometimes with his camera film and rarely with his DSLR. She won’t understand, but Jisoo looks like an angel behind the camera.

 

“What are you doing?” Jisoo screams as she turns around. “Come here.”

 

Jinyoung lowers his camera for a while, she stares back at her and finds the scenery too captivating. He goes back to his lens and snaps another picture.

 

Yya! Why are you taking pictures of me? You rejected my request a while ago.” Jisoo walks back furiously to Jinyoung with a pair of the angry face which Jinyoung finds amusing.

 

Jinyoung snaps a few other picture until Jisoo pulls the camera away from Jinyoung.

 

“It’s not fair. Give it to me.” Jisoo turns the lens to her eyes and starts taking pictures of a close-up Jinyoung.

 

Jisoo stops taking pictures after a minute or so and checks on them. She laughs away as she sees an expressionless Jinyoung until she reaches her own pictures. She scrolls slowly to examine her face, that when she stops at the last picture of her.

 

She likes taking pictures and being captured, especially with people she is comfortable with. She also loves photoshoot, where she can dress up and plays with her own body. But being photographed by Jinyoung is a little different, it’s making her heart races.

 

“This is actually good,” Jisoo reacts. She lifts her head up to find Jinyoung’s eyes staring at her.

 

“What?” Jisoo puppy-eyeing Jinyoung to loosen up the atmosphere, but it’s not working.

 

“You’re beautiful,” Jinyoung suddenly speaks. “And cute.”

 

Jisoo blushes upon hearing those words. “What are you talking about?”

 

“Don’t you ever feel weird that I always compliment your looks?”

 

Jisoo blinks twice and then scrunches her eyebrows.

 

“I’ve been thinking how life is going to be lately. With you around and our career, I often have a hard time to make decisions. Do you notice that?”

 

Jisoo shakes her head.

 

“I know you won’t,” Jinyoung chuckles. He grabs his camera and pull it away from Jisoo. He takes the sling and put it around his neck.

 

“I still can’t believe it you’re in front of me, Jisoo. You look unreal.”

 

“Stop embarrassing me.”

 

“I mean it. You see it by yourself, right. Your photo.”

 

“It’s-“ Jisoo stutters. “It’s pretty because the scenery looks pretty.”

 

“Well, it’s beyond pretty for me.” Jinyoung smiles back to Jisoo.

 

He grabs her hand and starts walking again.

 

“Why are you being cheesy?”

 

“I don’t know. I like saying sweet things to you.”

 

“Save that to your wife.”

 

Jinyoung stops walking and turns his head. He looks at Jisoo with worried in his eyes.

 

“What are you saying?”

 

Jisoo turns her head to Jinyoung as well, she’s confused about the sudden stop and his question.

 

“What am I saying?”

 

“The last one. The one about 'wife'.”

 

Jisoo raises a brow, “You mean about being cheesy?”

 

“After that?”

 

“’Save that to your wife?’”

 

Jinyoung stops breathing for a moment after hearing those word.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“What do I mean? Well, it’s obvious. Save the romantic, sweet sugar coated words to your wife. It will be better rather than saying it to me.”

 

Jinyoung just feels a hard heavy stone falls down to his back, breaking all of his bones and crushing his vital organ.

 

“What’s wrong? Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

All this time, liking Jisoo, exchanging words of love, and dating her are all Jinyoung’s way of building a foundation before he’s sure to marry her. He is serious this time, he was serious before. Though he never say it to her, Jinyoung believes her to have the same plan with him. Because if this relationship is working, he wants to take a bigger step.

 

That’s why he goes through all the misunderstanding a year ago to win her back. Because deep down, he knows she is the right person for him. And this dating period is an exercise before they go through a more serious phase.

 

“You don’t want to marry me?” Jinyoung suddenly let out his question.

 

Jisoo opens her eyes wide, shocked.

 

“What?”

 

“I thought we’re going to get married someday.”

 

“What are you saying? We never talk about this.”

 

“It’s obvious from the start, don’t you think? I’m serious about you Jisoo, Do you think I just want to date you for an unknown time and ask you to break up with me?”

 

Jisoo mouth hangs open, she is confused, panicked and clueless of what’s happening.

 

“God, Jisoo. Why is it always me who is serious about thi-“

 

“Time out!” Jisoo yells and pushes Jinyoung away with both of her hands. “Stop.”

 

“You’re talking nonsense Jinyoung-ah. We never discussed marriage before. Why are you suddenly mentioning them?”

 

“Because you said those words. You said things as if you don’t plan on marrying me.”

 

“What? But, you never ask me to marry you.”

 

“Well, I don’t need to say that, don’t you think. It’s obvious from the start.”

 

“Obvious?” Jisoo widens her eyes. “How is that obvious? Have you said it?’’

 

“I never say it. I don’t need to.”

 

“What? Of course, you need to. How am I suppose to know?”

 

Jinyoung breaths in. They both idiots, that’s what Jinyoung thinks. And even though he always wants to propose to Jisoo romantically, he needs to end this stupid conversation.

 

“Then, will you marry me?”

 

Jisoo freezes and looks at Jinyoung’s eyes. “Is this a joke?”

 

“No. This conversation is a joke, so we need to end this. Will you marry me?”

 

“Is this a pra-“

 

“Will you marry me?” Jinyoung holds Jisoo’s hands to his chest. “We both stupid. That’s obvious. We spend 10 years deceiving each other, meanwhile, all we need to do is communicate. I don’t want to repeat that again.

 

“I can’t plan on the wedding next month, but I want to marry you since the day I asked you back. I plan on proposing you at the right time, but I guess you’re too dense to understand that.

 

“So, to make everything clear, I want to marry you. If you want it this year then I will ask your father next month. If you want it next year, then let me take one project first before our marriage. If you want to wait for more than that, then let's plan everything after we get back to Korea.”

 

Jisoo mind goes from a spin to a whirlwind hearing the words coming out from Jinyoung. She doesn’t want to believe it, but was he proposing?

 

Jisoo studies Jinyoung’s eyes, she looks deep to his eyes and goes red. He wasn’t joking, he’s serious.

 

“Are you asking me to marry you?”

 

“Yes,” Jinyoung replies fast.

 

“Are you serious?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Jisoo never imagines herself in a situation where she will be asked for a marriage as simple as this. She always imagines it to be romantic, with flowers and a ring. With more than the beautiful scenery of Kyoto. Isn’t it supposed to be grand?

 

But then again, she never likes attention and cheesy lines. She feels awkward when Jinyoung being romantic. So this proposal is way better then what she imagined. It’s straightforward and it races her heart even more.

 

“Then, this year,” Jisoo talks after a good solid two minutes of silence. “Let’s get married this year, and project afterwards.”

 

Jinyoung unconsciously smiles. He never understands Jisoo, what she likes, what she hates, what she prefers, all is a new perspective. But, however it goes, she never stops to amuse him.

 

“You’re serious?”

 

“I am,” Jisoo stares back.

 

“Then, I guess i need to call my mom."

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That's it guys. It's a wrap. thank you very much for all the beautiful comments and support. I really am happy with all the critics, I learn a lot from this story, and I'll definitely will be back for another story.

I'm in the middle of writing another story, please check As Time Goes By. It's a
jinji story, diferent plot, diferent genre but the same spirit.

I still owe you guys a special chapter (or two?). Wait a bit.

See you on the next journey