Part I - Chapter 8

Broken Wings

(Note: I apologize for the lack of my research. In award shows, the best actor and actress winner receive the awards separately. I need to make adjustments in chapter 5 to make the story look more realistic. I'm sorry if it makes everyone inconvenient. I only add Jinyoung's acceptance speech in chapter 5, before the announcement of Jisoo.)

 

Jisoo receives the trophy and flower with her hand  shaking. She hugs Ji Won sunbae and bows to Jae Hong sunbae. She then walks to the mic to give her speech. She never realizes how nervous she is until she sees all of the audience in the big hall.

 

“Ah,” Jisoo starts, “I really can’t believe I actually am receiving this.” She smiles shyly.

 

“I want to thank my family and friends who support me throughout the entire production of this movie. Director-nim, Producer-nim, all the crews and cast of ‘A Man with Knives’. I learned so much from you guys, I feel blessed.

 

“To Park Bogum-oppa who guided me the whole time. My managers and YG support system. I won’t be here without all of you.

 

“I never expected to receive any awards all this time. Since I’m not originally an actress, I have doubt every time I act. This award really means so much to me. I will only work hard after this. Once again, thank you very much.”

 

Jisoo bows to the audience. She sees the whole auditorium clap and smile at her.

 

She goes back to Kim Ji Won and Ahn Jae Hong and leaves the stage together. She clenches to her trophy so tight. She's been doubting herself in the acting industry for years. Winning an award as big as The Grand Bell assures her heart more than anything can.

 

“You’re still here Jinyoung-ssi?” Kim Ji Won’s voice wakes Jisoo from her thought.

 

She meets Jinyoung’s hand opens in front of her to catch her hand before she steps down from the stage. She hesitates and stops on her track.

 

“I want to congratulate Jisoo-ssi for winning the Best Actress award,” Jinyoung answers. “This is my first time seeing her in award shows this year. I thought of giving her my congratulation as soon as possible.”

 

He reaches for Jisoo’s free hand and waits until she steps down from the stair.

 

“Congratulation, Jisoo-ssi. You deserve this,” Jinyoung smiles at her and holds her hand tighter.

 

Jisoo can only smile and bow to Jinyoung. He can’t do this, Jisoo thinks. Everyone is watching.

 

Ahn Jae Hong and Kim Ji Won only smile seeing the situation in front of them. As if nothing's wrong, they bide their goodbyes and leave the backstage. Jisoo takes this chance to let go of Jinyoung’s hand and leave the room as well.

 

Jinyoung doesn’t want to end the conversation yet, he walks quickly to reach her. But when he gets closer, he notices how her shoulders tremble.

 

“Are you cold? You’re shivering,” Jinyoung speaks.

 

Jisoo looks up to her right and startles.

 

“No,” she answers in a whisper. “Why do you think I-“

 

“Jisso-ssi, Jinyoung-ssi, can we have 5 minutes of your time?” someone from behind the curtain startles the both of them.

 

“Ah, are you a media representative?” Jinyoung asks carefully.

 

“My name is Kim Mo Yeon, please to meet you guys. I’m here to have a quick statement about tonight’s event.” Kim Mo Yeon smiles brightly at them.

 

“Oh in that case, sure,” Jinyoung confidently smiles and bows.

 

On the other hand, Jisoo moves closer to Jinyoung, feeling nervous.

 

“How about you Jisoo-ssi?” the media representative asks Jisoo.

 

“Yes, of course,” Jisoo smiles nervously.

 

“Wonderful,” the media representative starts talking.

 

“So Jisoo-ssi, this is your first Best Actress, right? How does it feel?” Mo Yeon motions her mic to Jisoo first.

 

“Ah, right,” Jisoo stammers, “It’s wonderful. I never expected this.”

 

“How about you, Park Jinyoung-ssi,” Mo Yeon now asks Jinyoung.

 

“I feel blessed today. It’s all thanks to everyone’s support,” unlike Jisoo, Jinyoung answers smoothly.

 

“As you mentioned on stage, you doubt yourself before. How does enlisting in military affect your career?”

 

“Two years is a long time for entertainers like us to be absent from this industry. New actors are being acknowledged every day and different movies and dramas are being produced every month. Of course, I have doubt of whether people will still recognize me after my military duty or not

 

“But it really is thanks to Director-nim who believed in me and let me joined this amazing team. And it’s all about the supports everyone give to me.”

 

“Thank you for your answer Jinyoung-ssi,” Kim Mo Yeon looks away and now points her mic to Jisoo. “To Jisoo-ssi, we’ve been missing you for a few months already. It seems like you’re busy with different projects every time.

 

“Tell us, is receiving this award by yourself feel different?”

 

“Yes,” Jisoo answers, “it feels wonderful to receive it with my own hand. I’ve been busy and feel guilty about it. So, I want to cherish this moment and thank everyone who’s been giving me loves and supports.”

 

“Ah, thank you very much Jisoo-ssi, Jinyoung-ssi, will see you at the after party,” Kim Mo Yeon bows and leaves the two of them.

 

Jinyoung sneaks a peek at Jisoo. He can tell by her voice that she was nervous. That she needs to get away from this place.

 

“Let’s get back to our seat,” Jinyoung says as he takes steps to the back door.

 

Jisoo startles and looks at Jinyoung.

 

“Oh, yeah,” she nods and follows.

 

 

“I’m sorry again Oppa,” Jisoo pouts, “but I really need to go. I don’t feel well.”

 

It’s the Grand Bell Award’s after party. The awardees are enjoying the free snacks and drinks. The bar is full of people asking for some martini or scotch. They all are having the joy of a lifetime. Except for one person.

 

“Seriously, Jisoo,” Bogum sighs, “you missed all these events. And when I thought you’ll enjoy tonight’s party, you bail out. I can’t believe you.”

 

“There are a lot of people. You won’t notice and care if I’m not around anyway.” Jisoo smiles at Bogum with sincerity in her eyes. She indeed doesn’t even try to have fun.

 

“Seriously,” Bogum let out the biggest sigh of the night, “you win.”

 

Bogum holds out his hand and hugs Jisoo’s side, “take care on your way back. Bye.”

 

“Bye, Oppa,” Jisoo hugs him back and slowly walks to the exit door.

 

She manages to get away from the small hall without everyone asking her further questions. She opens the door and arrives at the east hallway. She looks around and glad that the hall is empty.

 

The exit to the basement is only 100 meters away from where she stands. She only needs to find the stair at the corner, gets down one level, and finally free herself from the crowd.

 

Not more than a minute after she leaves the room, she shockingly feels something heavy on her shoulder. But before she can actually find out about the thing on her shoulder, a voice from her back shocks her.

 

“It’s cold.”

 

She turns away and finds Jinyoung stands beside her. She stares and stops on her track. She is not sure of what to do first. She put her hands on her shoulder and look at them. It’s a jacket.

 

“Is this your jacket?” Jisoo asks Jinyoung in panic.

 

“Yeah,” Jinyoung answers. “I thought you might need it. It’s cold.”

 

“I’m fine really,” Jisoo slowly takes the jacket off. “I don’t really need this.”

 

Before Jisoo takes the whole jacket away from her, Jinyoung’s hand catches her wrist.

 

“Please,” Jinyoung stares at her. “Just wear the damn jacket.”

 

“But I don’t see any reason to wear this when I don’t feel cold,” Jisoo whines unknowingly. “I’m not sick.”

 

“Well, I do.” Jinyoung lowers her arm and lets go. “I feel sick looking at those men staring at your exposed back and waist.”

 

Jisoo’s heart pounds. The words Jinyoung said are making her loses her mind.

 

“So just wear it and I won’t disturb you anymore,”Jinyoung’s eyes drift and find a wall to stare at.

 

Jisoo isn’t sure about herself the whole night. She can’t choose between her heart or her mind which messes with her. She’s been scared about herself from the moment she stepped out from her car. But when she thinks she finally has control of herself, betrays her by saying these words.

 

“But you’re going to catch a cold without it,” Jisoo softly says.

 

Jinyoung’s heart skips a beat. He looks back at Jisoo and finds her worried eyes. If tonight she’s still his, he will definitely kiss her at this moment.

 

“You haven’t changed,” Jinyoung whispers. He positions the jacket back on her and clutches the front hem.

 

“I’ll be fine,” Jinyoung looks at her. “Just take this with you and make sure you get home safe.”

 

He releases the jacket and walks away.

 

She looks at his back for the second time tonight. It’s still wide and charming. It emits warmth. It’s not her that hasn’t changed, it’s his kindness and the memories within him.


 

 

 

 

 

 

Note: I really need to apologize again since I'm lack of research. I should study more and re-check everything before publishing. I hope everyone understands and still find this story enjoyable

On the other note, this is the end of Part I. Thank you for everyone who gives their thoughts and critics. I appreciate them very much.

I'm going to update Part II this weekend with a cover for this story. The second part will focus on both of our protagonists' life around them. 

So, please review, I'll be happy to receive critics and comments.

See you soon!