Part I - Chapter 1

Broken Wings

“He’s not coming. He canceled. So you can get your off that couch, and let’s find something to wear.”

 

Kim Jisoo is lying on the couch watching Animal Planet when her manager, Sang Won unnie, came to nag her about The Grand Bell Award event.

 

“Are you sure?” Jisoo asks while munching on an apple.

 

“Yep,” says Manager Unnie“I swear it’s true. So, let’s go. Go grab your towel and clean up.”

 

Jisoo gives in to her manager. She gets up and heads to her room, crunching her eyebrows..

 

This year, Jisoo was in “A Man with Knives,” and her performance in the film got her nominated for three different lead actress awards. A Blue Dragon, a Baeksang, and a Critics’ Choice. Everyone in the company was excited. All of her former Blackpink members texted and congratulated her. Jennie even came by to give her flowers and wine to celebrate. Then Jisoo shocked them all by refusing all the invitations. Three in three months.

 

Jisoo had always had a flair for drama, but in the early stages of Blackpink’s career, the group was too young and too new for any of the girls to let their focus stray to other projects. It wasn’t until she was cast in a drama with Lee Jong Suk years later that Jisoo was allowed to truly indulge her love for acting.

 

After receiving her first award, few offers came in a blink of an eye. She got her first role in a movie with actor So Ji Sub and Kim Nam Joo. The movie managed to put her name in 8 movie reviews as ‘Korea Rising Actor in 2024’. And without her knowing, she’s now one of the biggest star in the acting industry.

 

“She will come, don’t worry. It’s the biggest thing she could ever win.” Her manager is one the phone while waiting for Jisoo. “Trust me. She’ll be there.”

 

Lee Sang Won, or Manager Unnie as Jisoo calls her, was the manager who worked with Jisoo the longest . She’s been with Jisoo since 2015, right before Blackpink’s debut. It was rare for an idol’s manager to stay that long. But, Sang Won knows too much, she can’t let just anyone have the privilege of taking care of Jisoo. She just can’t imagine how it’d turn out.

 

“I’m ready.”

 

Jisoo stands in front of the kitchen with a fresh face and clean clothes.

 

“Good job. I’ll go get the car,” says Sang Won with a smile.

 

“Okay,” replies Jisoo.

 

 

“Unnie, I want something soft and light. Can we just make something from the beginning?”

 

“We can’t Jisoo. It’s too sudden. No one can make it that fast.” Sang Won turns the car wheel as they converse. “There are lots of great designs in the studio. You will find something you like.”

 

“Arasso,” answers Jisoo, playing with her phone.

 

Sang Won notices the worried look on Jisoo’s face. She knows Jisoo is still in doubt about this plan.

 

“Can you trust me on this?” Sang Won says, eyes glancing at Jisoo in the rearview mirror. “He’s not coming. This is the biggest thing you have ever achieved. Coming and accepting it in person is the right thing to do. So be proud. Be a little happy.”

 

Jisoo stops texting. She raises her head and turns to her right.

 

“I know I’ve been a burden these past months, and I’m sorry,” Jisoo sighs. “But, I’m not ready to see him. Not after 10 years of forgetting each other presence.”

 

Sang Won glances over to Jisoo for a second. She’s been this way since that day. Since she found out that Jinyoung was also nominated for Best Actor in a Lead Role at the Blue Dragon Awards. He’ll be there. She can’t see him.

 

It’s been 10 years, just like Jisoo said. 10 years of a broken heart.