Four'

She's Got Me Swingin'
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Four:

 

 

 

“Baekhyunnie, wake up.” I tried to shake him and he grunted in annoyance.

“Please…just two more hours.” Came his mumbling and I hit his arm.

“It’s seven in the morning! Get up and get ready for school. Baekhyun…” I tried to lift his head up next and he very adorably-annoyingly picked himself up on his elbows, rubbing his eyes. A mess of red bed hair pointing in all directions and eyes barely awake. “I asked mom to make some miso soup. Googled it. Best for hangovers.”

He smiled that grateful smile he always showed me. It was my most favorite thing in the world. When he smiled like that I felt relieved that I was able to do something that made him happy.

“You’re my treasure.” He kissed the back of my hand and smiled again. Then his brows furrowed in thought. “What were you telling me about yesterday?” he asked.

“That if anything is bothering you just talk to me about it.”

“No no before that…something about weekend.”

“Ah…I said that there’s going to be position tests next week. You need to help me practice.”

“That’s so good!” he got up and the dizziness caused him to trip but I caught him on time. “Thank you. So, what position are you going to try for?”

I bit my lip and looked away. “I’m not…sure. Any position is fine if I manage to get into the team.”

He raised a questioning brow and before he could inquire anymore about it I decided it was better to lie again right now. “But my focus is the power hitter, ofcourse. Don’t worry, I’m sure I’ll make it. I was just saying if I don’t get it then any other position will work too.”

“You’ll get it!” he chimed, “I’ve seen you play all my life and you’re one hell of an amazing batter. Mr. Changmin would be surprised.” He grinned.

I nodded and watched him sloppily walk out towards his own room at the opposite side of the hallway. If only I was as confident in myself as you are…

 

 

When I finished dressing up and got downstairs, Baekhyun was already at the table eagerly sipping the soup. I greeted mom who was washing the utensils and sat next to him. “How is it?” I whispered and he smiled with the spoon between his teeth. This was nice morning with all three of us gathered here and none busy.

“Dahyun, make sure to come home early today.” he said turning towards me but his face still facing the bowl.

“Any special reason?”

He paused and looked up at mom and she had stopped in her action too. “Uh…well, when is he coming mom?” he asked and mom dropped the pan she was holding.

“Who’s coming?” I asked uncomfortably.

Baekhyun looked at me with a hint of anger and stirred his soup pointlessly. “Mom…you haven’t told her yet?” he asked agitatedly.

“I…I was waiting for the right time…” I felt her panic. Baekhyun folded his arms.

“Right time? Maybe this is it then.”

Mom turned around and shook her head at him.

“What’s going on?” I asked. Appetite was long lost. Morning not so nice.

“Are you going to tell her or I should?” he asked her and narrowed his eyes. He looked disappointed.

Mom removed her washing gloves and apron. She stared at the floor for a few minutes and then cleared . “Dahyun, come with me for a moment. I need to talk to you.”

My heart dropped low into my stomach. I got up, looking at Baekhyun for something…anything. He nodded with assurance and motioned me to go. I followed mom to her room at the end of the stairs.

I rarely ever visited this place. After dad passed away I avoided coming here. After mom became busy with hospital, I knew there was nobody in here most of the time so I never came down. This room was more like a museum for me, a place full of Dad’s pictures and memoirs.

She stopped on the furry carpet in the middle of the floor and turned towards me with folded arms, forcing a smile. She stared at me for some while, eyes reluctant.

“My Dahyun has grown up so much. It feels just like yesterday when you were a tiny ball of rage.” She brushed my hair with her fingers and I smiled.

So had she. Skinny, sort of wrinkly, and overworked. I had been the one to suggest her to get a lob haircut and get rid of her boring wavy locks. She held my hand in hers and my heart sank some more.

“A lot of time has passed. And when time moves on…so do people, right?” she asked to which I just nodded. “Dahyun, I have decided to move on too. Siwon is a very nice person with a kind heart. I believe…I believe Siwon will make me happy.”

The news hit me like a thousand bricks being dropped on my head while the rest of my body is tearing apart. My eyes wavered and so did my step but I miraculously managed to stay calm.

“Congratulations mom.” I forced a grin. “You’re getting….remarried.”

She let out a gasp like she was so relieved by my answer, as if her life was hanging on it. I tried not to look into her eyes.

“How did you meet him?” I said to continue, not letting my disturbance show through.

“At the hospital. We work in the same ward. He was the one who proposed.” she seemed so happy, oh so happy. I had never seen her glow like this in years. “Dahyun…you’re happy about this, right?” she asked with a sudden nervousness in her tone and I nodded.

“Yes mom. I’m happy for you.”

“Thank you so much…I love you so much.” She hugged me after and I could feel her little shivers. Within her embrace, as she nuzzled her chin on my shoulder, I saw my father’s picture hanging behind her on the peach painted wall.

He was so handsome. Smiling like he’s the happiest man in the world. His crimson hair, the odd color Baekhyun and I inherited, was smoothly combed to the side with a few strands falling on his forehead. This picture was taken a few days after my birth when he got promoted. He often used to tell me how lucky I was for him.

I wish my luck would have also saved him from that car crash on that unfortunate rainy night.

Mom broke the hug and caught me staring at his picture. She wiped the tears; I didn’t even realize she had been crying, and smiled at his portrait. “I do love him, Dahyun. I have always loved Leeteuk more than anything in this world. I promise you,” she then turned towards me, “that nobody will ever replace your father. Never.”

It was so difficult maintaining the smile I had formed. It was too much all at once. “I’m really happy for you.”

“Thank you. I’m sure both of you would like Siwon too.” She pushed her strands behind her ear.

“So…when is he coming?” I asked, looking down and biting the inside of my cheek. She sighed and shook her head.

“Not today. Whenever you’re ready to meet him.”

I nodded and looked at the clock. “Then…how about this weekend? That’s fine with me.”

“Sure?” she asked, smiling between the tears that began rolling down her cheeks again.

“Yes mom. Umm we’re going to be late. See you later.” I made way out quickly before she could stop me…before I had to look at her anymore. Because I knew I wouldn’t be able to hold myself together longer than this.

Had Baekhyun known about this from before? Was he okay with this? Was he truly okay with this? I wanted to ask him but…I couldn’t. That morning as we commuted to school in the public bus, all he talked about revolved around our family getting bigger and how much that amazed him. Life has so many surprises for us. He said, grinning. I decided it was better not to bother him with my pessimistic opinions.

 

 

 

Three days went by rapidly after that. I avoided thinking about mom getting remarried yet that was all I could think about. Sana and I still hadn’t talked but we would keep staring at each other until the other would catch it. I considered talking to her about this… but it just felt insane. What would I do? Walk up to her and start rambling about my mother issues when I hadn’t even properly introduced myself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter