Fifteen'

She's Got Me Swingin'
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fifteen:

 

 

 

Mr. Siwon tried to get himself assigned to Baekhyun’s personal doctor and the morning debate with Mr. Seungri, his current nutritionist, was a hilarious event to witness. Mr. Siwon brought up how being in a familiar person’s care would help Baekhyun get better quicker but Mr. Seungri, who had a great level of sarcasm I would like to point out, shut him down finally saying he’s pretty sure he was more blessed in the looks area so seeing him around would improve recovery more than seeing Mr. Siwon, who according to him was starting to look like a deformed radish. Me, Mom, and Nayeon, his actual present family gave out united embarrassing laughs that echoed through the hallway and he made a face at us.

We asked him and Mom to take a break and go on lunch at a newly opened restaurant down the street. Mom had been continuously watching over Baekhyun throughout the last few nights. I assured her we’ll stay cautious and careful of him and she gave the both of us a quick cheek peck before leaving.

Nayeon sat on the waiting couch at the left and I sat at the edge of his bed, gazing lovingly at his peaceful state. He still hadn’t opened his eyes but the doctor told us his mind was completely present and aware and it won’t take long before he gains consciousness.

“I’ve never seen any pair of brother and sister as close as the two of you,” said Nayeon, popping in a grape from the fresh fruit plate by the table for visitors. “You’re attached like glue.” Her gummy grin made me chuckle too. “I grew up as an only child and I thought I didn’t want it any different but after meeting you…damn, I feel a little sad sometimes.”

“You’re going to be our family too,” I said, returning the grin. She looked away poutingly and I got up to sit next to her. “Hey, are you having any doubts?” I narrowed my eyes playfully and she nodded half-heartedly.

“Isn’t it just like…coming in between?” she answered dubiously and I smacked her head with a light knock.

“You have no idea how long we had been waiting for another addition. In fact, you’re pretty much always a part of our dinner conversations.” I smiled at her again and gave her a forehead kiss which took her by surprise.

“Really?” she asked, grinning once again. “You talk about me?”

I nodded enthusiastically. “A lot. We were fighting over who will get to sit next to you at the table! In fact, just the day before that we…” I paused. We had this little bicker at breakfast before leaving for school on the day every unfortunate chaos befell upon us.

She sensed the reason for my silence and shifted closer to me, brushing the top of my head and giving me a puckered smiled that felt like she was telling me she’s here to share the sorrow now.

“Since Dad passed away, Mom had become so busy with work in order to handle everything financially. It was a tough time. We were all alone…all our relatives turned their back on us. Alas, being a kid…I didn’t ever grasp the kind of hurdles she was passing through. I used to fight a lot…cry a lot. I would never stop complaining about how she wasn’t giving me any attention as she should. It was as if I had lost not one, but perhaps both of my parents.”

I looked over at Baekhyun. A content yet sad smile spread across my face.

“And he…he stepped up and took on the role of both of them for me from then on. The attention, the support, the upbringing…he is the one who gave me all the love…even more than I had asked for. Nayeon, I—” I choked a little and she held my hand. One very useful tactic Sana thought me over these days was how I could prevent myself from random bouts of crying. I took a deep breath and shook my head a little to push the tears back in.

“You feel apologetic, don’t you?” she said like she had read my mind.

“I do. He ignored most of his own childhood just to provide me the one I wished to have. And yet I have never done anything even half in effort for him. I wanted to become a star player so that in some big way I could make him proud of me too. Now that I was so close to my goal…” I trailed off and sighed again with retreat.

“He’ll be fine before we know it.” Nayeon smiled brightly. “You’ll definitely have to chance that make him proud. Hard work never goes to waste, you know.” She gave a light squeeze to my shoulder and I felt optimistic when she put it like that.

“I hope so too.”

“Besides, if medicines don’t work soon I think Pa will really bring his psychic friend over to place some talisman for Baekhyun’s health.” She giggled and I narrowed my brows. She nodded with that ‘I’m-not-even-joking’ face and I ended up laughing too.

“But he’s a doctor?” I exclaimed.

“I know! It defies his professional belief. But he’s very adamant on…cosmic energy powers…” Nayeon rolled her eyes playfully. “It’s nice we’re becoming a family or I was ready to disown him next year.” She sighed and I laughed more, holding my stomach.

 

 

 

 

Mom asked me to return to school when she got a call from the administration about my falling attendance. I whined to stay but one mom-glare was enough to shut me up and leave the next morning after finishing handmade breakfast toasts Mr. Siwon brought for us packed in a pink lunchbox. He dropped Nayeon earlier for the interview at her art school first because it was up quicker on the route.

And dear, it was such an aesthetically pleasing school. It was a boxy-architecture coated in pastel yellow and mint with the windows and roof bordered with sheer white. The twisting pathways were made of coral tinted bricks and they intertwined like a maze, all paths eventually meeting at the central ground of the entrance where a silver-ish statue of a thick book with wings shone under the rising sun. And most of the building was surrounded by plants. So many succulent plants.

We bid her goodbye and she was all bouncy with nervousness. As she left, clutching a questions prompt provided online for preparation in her sweaty hands, I took one last glance at the entire place.

“Wow…” I whispered. Mr. Siwon caught my awed face and ruffled my hair with an adoring chuckle.

“She found it all by herself. Quite a discovery, don’t you think?” he asked and I nodded in complete agreement. “She had always been more interested in the illustrations than the stories as a child. When she discussed joining art school a few weeks ago…I was so content when I saw the passion in her eyes as she shared her plans. The next thing I know, my paycheck is under the knife for this expensive institution.” He sighed defeatedly and I cackled.

“You love her very much, don’t you?” I said and he nodded, tears almost forming but he puffed his cheeks and blew out, stabilizing himself before any of the passerby students saw him awkwardly weeping.

“I’ll do anything as long as it makes her happy.” He said with a smile and then turned to me. “And now, for you and Baekhyun as well.”

I smiled back, chest filling with admiration and a pinch of guilt for being mean to him some time ago. “You’re already doing so much for us. Even Mom is a different person now. She seems more alive.”

He side hugged me, giving a peck on the top of my head. “I’m just trying my best to fulfill the responsibilities I have chosen when I decided to marry your Mom. I should be thanking you instead, for giving me this chance.”

I hugged him back, wrapping my arms around his sturdy waist. For the first time in a long while I felt like I was holding my Dad again.

 

 

 

I was at school now. The students gave me weird glances, some whispering to each other as I walked pass by. It might be my imagination, but I felt like with every step I took I was being surrounded by more and more students emerging out of the shadows who only looked at me with doubts and questions in their eyes.

I felt my arm being connected and turned to see Sana show up to my right, smiling down at me like she was made of sunrays.

“Hey, good looking.” She kissed my cheek.

“Hey,” I said but it came out sounding stupidly sing-songish.

She noticed the others murmuring around and she glared at anyone who tried to approach me with inquire about recent events. We were in my first class in no time, the teacher still late and the other classmates busy with their individual studies.

“Are you okay? You didn’t have to come; Chaeyoung said she’ll cover up the notes for you.” Sana sat in front of me on my desk, brushing the strands of my hair behind my ears as I settled in.

I nodded. “Mom was being cautious about the attendance percentage.” I looked around. Some peeked at me from behind their books.

Two girls who I didn’t even remember the names of whispered loudly on purpose to get my attention. Jealousy makes you do dirty things.

“You have something to say?” Sana snapped in an instance.

One of them folded her arms cockily, shrugging nonchalantly. “Nothing much. We were just curious about what happened to Baekhyun.”

“I heard he’s in the hospital right now.” the other said, an ugly smirk growing on her face. “Was it really an accident or was he drinking again behind your backs?”

“Shut the up!” I got up and yelled with a burn stinging my throat and eyes. My chair fell back and the thud echoed around the class, making everything else silent; like a warning. They were startled, fear slowly taking over their expressions.

“Truth really hurts, I guess.” Someone from the back muttered lowly and earned giggles.

I glared at the person, my teeth gritting between my jaws. One look made them shut up too. However, I really didn’t want to stay there any longer. Coming back now was a mistake…I just knew it.

I turned back to Sana who seemed to read my thoughts. She gently took my hand in hers. I collected my things and left with her, wherever she was going to take me.

“My brother wasn’t a part of the drinking juveniles. Everyone is aware. It was announced in the morning assembly by

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter