One'

She's Got Me Swingin'
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

One:

 

 

 

Supplies? Check. Pigtails? Check. Water bottle? Check. Self-confidence? Ugh.

I looked myself up down in the mirror. Ugly as any day. Don’t worry Dahyun, you can do this!

“Hell no.” I sighed. Regular school was a different thing so even though it had only been a week since semester started I managed to handle the academic work well and hide myself in the last seat. It was going pretty well so far. But the baseball team…

My stomach twisted with nervousness.

“Dahyun!” Mom called. “DAHYUN!” Baekhyun called next. They did this every morning in a slurry impatient tone. Okay, maybe I also did always take ten minutes longer to get ready.

“Coming!” I yelled back and took in a sharp breath, holding it. You have three months to prove you’re worthy to be a part of the team. You have to show them you are the best choice for the power hitter. You have to carry on the legacy of your brother. I exhaled and picked my bag, rushing down the stairs to the kitchen.

 

“Mom, not this again!” I whined. Fried eggs with rice. I looked at Baekhyun and he just shrugged sipping his coffee. “Mom!”

“You don’t get to complain. Look, you’re late for school.” Mom folded her arms and gave the look. I made a face at the breakfast I dreaded the most and very grumpily chunked it down.

“What takes you so long anyway? Just put on the uniform and done!” Baekhyun grinned. He grinned a lot; called it a healing therapy. I still haven’t figured out what was he trying to heal. His own uniform was untidy. Shirt out and cuffs ed.

“I think you don’t put much effort into the whole uniform exercise now, do you?” I asked, almost finished with my food.

“Oh this?” he grinned at his cuffs then, “wait and watch.”

Baekhyun got up and folded is sleeves up to his elbows, exposing his beautiful hands. I had always been so jealous of his hands...they were rather perfect for a female than him. Then he only tucked in the front hem of his shirt and left the back outside. Ah there he was...the baseball team heartthrob.

“I’m never going to match that level of glory.” I sighed and his grin dropped.

“Sister, you’re worrying too much. Listen now, it won’t be much different than the first day of high school.” He made me face him by my shoulders and ruffled my hair.

“This,” I emphasized “is the baseball team. And I’m…inexperienced.” He narrowed his brows in confusion so I corrected myself. “Well, inexperienced in playing with a team, that is. I’ve only played with you my entire life.”

“Don’t worry. You’ll make great friends.” He helped me get up and we kissed mom good-bye. “It’ll all go smoothly.”

 

 

 

Sometimes I really hate his positive guts. This was one of those times.

When I finally went to the school’s field at the end of classes it was packed with so many girls. Some were stretching on the grass field and some of them were jogging around the tracks. I made quick way towards the baseball diamond where I had to meet our coach, Mr. Yunho. He was quirky, playful, and very encouraging. That’s what Baekhyun had told me. Tall and always smiling.

But the person I saw sitting on the foldable plastic chair with his cap covering his face didn’t feel like he had smiled all day at all.

“Mr. Yunho?” I called softly.

He lifted his cap only enough to peek with one eye open. He then halfly nodded to tell me to go on.

“I’m Dahyun. Freshman year. I—”

“You’re a week late.” He said, dropping his cap again. “As far as I remember, hadn’t you signed up earlier as school started?” he asked.

“I did. I just couldn’t get around to—”

“You were nervous.”

“Umm well—”

“So you decided to take your time to consider whether or not you really wanted to do this. Two day ago your brother convinced you it’ll be all okay and so here you are; a week late. But late is better than never, that’s how he made you agree.” He said in one go.

Okay first of all, can he stop cutting my sentences? And second, how did he know Baekhyun had convinced me to join?

“That’s because I was Baekhyun’s coach. Atleast a day ago.” He answered as if he read my mind and my eyes went wide. Then he wore his cap and sat upright. Narrow perfect eyes, full lips. Muddy skin shade and toned arms. Wow. “Two things. One, my name is Shim Changmin. That’s Mr. Changmin for you. I used to supervise the boys team but they swapped me with Yunho because the girls team is doing fairly poor and needs help. Which Yunho can never do, he’s too easy giving you all playtime than actual work.” He, Mr. Changmin apparently, shook his head with sheer annoyance. “And two, this is the first and last time I’m letting you go. With my rules, a minute late into practice and you’re out. Out of the club itself. Understood?” he asked.

I blinked. He raised a brow and I nodded. “Yes, sir.”

“Good. Now I give you five minutes for warm up before we begin.” He looked at his watch and motioned me to go. As I turned my heel to l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter