Fourteen'

She's Got Me Swingin'
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fourteen:

 

 

 

They suspended Baekhyun for possession of alcohol on school property. He was ruled to stay out for eight months. Thankfully they didn’t send him to a rehabilitation center unlike his other classmates because he seemingly didn’t have a record of drinking. Along with that, he was also caught to be having an affair with one of his teachers and she was transferred to another school branch because nothing had been proven yet so there was no need of any dismissal.

Currently, since returning from school this afternoon with Mom, he sat idly at our dining table without speaking or eating. Mom told me to let him be alone for a while and that we’ll talk to him about everything later when he would seem ready himself.

Night fell and I waited at the lounge. I even put on his favorite cartoons so he could feel somewhat better. Apparently, the entire school got to know about this issue like wildfire. As well as…the ridiculous rumor of me pushing Tzuyu down the bleachers out of jealousy. But I wasn’t concerned about that the slightest for now except Tzuyu had ended up in the hospital and I needed to pay her a visit and apologize. I was equally careless in the case of her getting so severely injured after all.

“Dahyun! Dinner time.” Mom called from the kitchen and I followed.

I sat next to him and pushed my chair closer. He was only staring at the table, hands fidgeting. I tried to place my own hand at his shoulder but he flinched. Mom set up the rice and soup for the three of us and asked us to continue. He didn’t eat. Didn’t even touch his plate.

“Please eat, my dear.” Mom’s voice was weak. The pain to see him in this state was obvious. I felt bad…so bad. If only I hadn’t kept quiet either…it would never have got to this point. “Please.” She pushed the plate further in his direction.

I heard small whimpers and turned to see him breaking down, body shaking as he cried. My heart broke. “Baekhyun…”

“I’m so sorry.” He said, covering his face between his hands. “I’m so sorry, Mom. I’m so sorry…”

“It’s alright…my boy. It’s fine.” Mom got up and walked to him, hugging him from the side and letting him rest his head on her chest. I felt my own tears soaking my cheeks. I got up too and encircled them both in my arms.

“I swear it’s nothing like that…the beers…I wasn’t drinking….” He choked up with the words and Mom brushed his back soothingly to calm him down.

“I know…I know. It’s alright. Dahyun, please take him to his room. Do you want to rest?” she asked and he nodded, throat too clogged to speak properly. “Dahyun, help him.”

I held his left hand tightly and assisted him in walking up the stairs, with Mom trailing behind us.

“I…I want to stay with you…” he said almost as a whisper and I nodded, shifting the direction to my room.

“Okay. Sleep with me tonight.” I tried to smile. It just hurt more.

 

 

 

We laid him on my bed and Mom put on an extra blanket and pillows to make it cozier. I dimmed the lights on his request and we sat on either side of him. Mom made some hot chocolate, his favorite.

“Do you want to talk about it now?” she asked and he nodded, tucking the blanket up till his chin.

“I did drink…but I eventually stopped because…” He started and peeked at me. I sighed.

“I knew about it,” I said and earned a stern look from Mom. If not for this fragile situation she would’ve killed me for hiding this by now for sure. “I busted him a few times and warned that I’ll tell you. He promised me then that he won’t ever touch it again.”

“Oh, Baekhyun…then why…” she frowned. But it was a sad frown.

He looked away in shame. “I was…stacking them for my friends. I backed away from the drinking nights but I agreed to keep the cans safe in my changing locker because nobody would suspect me. It’s my fault for misusing my honored reputation.” He said, weeping again. “But I swear I did give up on drinking.”

“I believe you. However, the damage is done, my boy.” Mom scolded and he simply nodded in embarrassment. “I expected you to be more rational than this. I can’t believe you let you them take advantage of you in the worst way. It’s grateful enough that they didn’t expel you.”

“I’m sorry. I know I did a big mistake...” He stuttered again.

Mom gave a kiss to his forehead and told him that if he accepted his wrongdoing, that was also good enough. It wasn’t a surprise, in all honesty. He had been like that all his life…he was too heedless and so his friends often targeted him to be the sheep to sacrifice.

“Then…what about the teacher?” I interrupted. He cried again and I regretted bringing up the topic.

“She didn’t have anything to do with this and yet…she’s innocent,” he looked distressed, “she doesn’t deserve this…”

“The Principal told me that you had been staying with her after classes since the last few weeks,” Mom revealed.

Oh. So is that where he went instead of practice? Is that what my brother was lying about?

“It’s true…” he said, “but it wasn’t an affair…not even remotely close to it. She…” He couldn’t continue through his soft whimpers and stayed quiet.

It was getting hard on him to speak about. I signaled Mom and she nodded silently in agreement. We left him to sleep and stayed in the lounge till midnight, watching the T.V with the leftover cold dinner to indulge our thoughts in something else.

 

 

 

It had been two days and he didn’t leave his room at all. I stayed at home to look after him since Mom couldn’t get days off from work. It was better…I wanted to avoid the school populace right now anyway. Sana and Chaeyoung kept me informed on the events. Apparently, Mr. Changmin canceled any further practice due to the accident that took place. And they also cautioned me that most of the girls had been speaking ill of me and my brother…going as far as to call us the crazy siblings. Sana texted she’ll visit later and I should only focus on Baekhyun right now; school and its unnecessary problems can wait.

At evening I decided I should approach him first instead. I tried to make my best ramyun with extra chilis just to get a reaction out of him. Maybe making him laugh would help…

I knocked four times but he didn’t respond. I opened the door with my free hand, struggling to hold the tray, and entered loudly with a big grin.

He was lying lifelessly on his bed, staring past his open window. I made him sit and make space for me to place the stuff and tried my hardest to cheer him up.

“If I remember correctly, didn’t you say you would sell your stitch plushie online if I made you something delicious?” I chirped as I handed him the bowl. He gave me a really short, really sweet half smile. I was glad.

“You’re confident that it’s going to be delicious?” he said, still unwilling to eat. I smirked knowing I had made it extra spicy for him and as soon as he starts tasting it I’ll have to run for my life.

“Brother, you were right. Cooking is totally not my thing.” I said and it caused him to laugh soundlessly. “I’ll have to ask Sana to start practicing her skills if she wants to marry me.”

I waited for him to start eating at his own pace and began mine first to encourage. He stared away again, his lips and thinking to himself. Then he returned his gaze to me; ready to speak. His eyes seemed expectant.

“It was Ms. Taeyeon.” He said. I knew what he was talking about.

“Our chemistry teacher?” I said, shifting to sit closer. She was a petite woman who was soft-spoken and highly intelligent.

He nodded, hands fidgeting with his chopsticks. “She could identify all sorts of drinks by taking one quick glance. A useful talent I would say. She figured out the bottles we had been carrying too.” He sighed. “The thing is…I used to have a crush on her. And she knew, along with the entire boys’ side, I guess. Being the good person she is, she never let it get awkward for me. She would make fun about it along with my class if they teased me and while overtime as I got over my feelings, we turned into good friends. So when she found out that I had been drinking, like you, she persistently asked me to stop as well. I tried, and when it got hard she advised me to visit her after classes for some health concern lectures. That’s the time I told you I was—”

“Busy with the boys' tournament.” I finished for him and he puckered his lips in, guilty for lying. “I figured as much.”

“Indeed. I should give her most of the credit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter