BoA IV

Guardian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The entire apartment is crammed with technicians from Guardian, installing about a dozen cameras, covering just about every room and leaving no blind spots. There are three others dusting for fingerprints around the front door, the picture frame, the box that the skull came in, and the skull itself. Mark is talking to Jack Song, head of surveillance at Guardian. Apparently they go way back, which is good, otherwise we couldn't have gotten this kind of response so quickly. It's good to know someone with connections. 

Mark: So this is closed circuit, right?

Jack: Yup. There's not even wifi on this. Only way to hack it is on this station itself.

Mark: Great. And thanks for coming over on such short notice. I know you're off-duty.

Jack: No thanks necessary. You done so much for me over the years, it's time to start paying back.

Mark: I wouldn't know, I haven't been keeping track.

Jack: I have. And there are a lot more favours that I owe you.

Mark: I'll keep that in mind.

BoA: Does anyone want a drink?

Jack: Could I trouble you for some water?

BoA: Of course, no trouble at all.

I go over to the kitchen where two technicians are routing the cables along the wall where it meets the ceiling, the roll of cables strewn all over the floor. My family is not going to like this one bit. I open the fridge and grab as many bottles of water as I can carry. I offer the technicians some, and they take it, thanking me in the process. I walk back to the living room, where Mark is now on the phone and Jack is fiddling with the monitoring system. I hand him a bottle of water.

Jack: Thank you.

Mark:(over phone) Yeah, I won't be able to make it, tell the girls I said hi.

Mark hangs up the phone and comes back over. He grabs a bottle of water and winks at me. I don't know why, but that made my heart flutter a little. I smile at him before going around handing out waters to all the technicians. When I get back, Jack is explaining the system to Mark. I walk over to the monitor and see that the cameras are all online. You really can see everywhere. Well everywhere but the bathrooms.

Jack: Okay, simple enough. This is the live view, you can fullscreen any of the cameras to, well, look at it in full screen. Over here is the playback tab, it uses the media controls and sliders for playback.

Mark: Looks simple enough. 

Jack: A trained monkey could work this thing.

Mark: Perfect, we have a monkey right here.

He says as he points back at me. They start chuckling and I slap him across the shoulder. He feigns injury, almost collapsing onto the ground.

Mark: Ahh, ow, my shoulder! I think it's broken. Can I claim work injury with this?

Jack: Sorry, unfortunately not with that performance.

Mark straightens himself out and "dusts off" his shoulder.

Mark: I never was much of an actor.

Jack: Yeah, stick to your day job.

I burst out laughing and the two of them look at me like I'm weird. Just then, the technicians come from all directions, carrying rolls of cables. 

Jack: Is that it? Are we done?

The technicians nod, and Jack gets up and walks around, inspecting the cameras and cables. Mark sits down at the computer and turns towards me.

Mark: Sorry about the mess. 

BoA: It's fine, I'm just trying to figure out how I'll tell my parents about this.

Mark: Need help with that?

BoA: No no, I can handle it. How long will it be like this?

Mark: At least until

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter