Mark IX

Guardian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is going to be a fun year. The threats against the idols, and now an on set injury. It seems just about everywhere we go, something happens. Maybe I'm overthinking it, maybe it's all just coincidence. Standing in this restroom, cleaning blood off our hands, I think back to the early days of Guardian. I mostly took on cases like events and festivals. Most of which would have one or two injuries, which were mostly unavoidable, not that that made it any better though. Alex has grown up quite a lot over the past couple of years since Cerberus was formed. Before, he would be nervous, getting flustered when he had to perform any type of first aid. Doubting his own abilities, not wanting to make the situation worse. But now, now he's a lot calmer, able to control his emotions more. I can't do what he does. I've seen so much that I've become numb to these kinds of injuries, which helps in some aspects. I don't empathise with the injured, I see the injury and that's what I concentrate on. The person's pain or comfort comes second. But not Alex. He puts himself in the persons position, thinks what can he do to make them feel better, what reassurances he can give them, all the while treating them. It makes me so proud that he has come this far, seen all that he's seen and still able to have that amount of compassion for a stranger. He's a better person than I could ever be. I just hope that this line of work doesn't change that. He deserves a better life than this; it's not something I ever wanted for us, for him. He's still young, maybe it's time for a change in career path. 

Mark: Hey. You okay?

Alex: Yeah, fine.

Mark: You done good back there. Very efficient.

Alex: Maybe I'm getting used to it.

Mark: Maybe.

I can tell he's upset. Probably beating himself up over the incident, thinking if he kept an eye on them, the whole thing could have been avoided.

Mark: It wasn't your job to monitor the safety of the crew. We're here to protect Twice.

Alex stops scrubbing his hands, the diluted blood still dripping into the sink. He doesn't look at me.

Alex: I was close enough to have pulled him away, if I had just been facing in that direction.

Mark: It's not your fault. Accidents happen. 

Alex: I know, it's just...

He trails off, tears starting to form in his eyes.

Mark: Hey. Maybe you need a break. Maybe a different line of work.

He scoffs at the idea.

Alex: And do what? I'm not qualified for anything other than this.

Mark: What about music?

Alex: Music?

Mark: Yeah, you've got a pretty good set of pipes on you. A bit of training and I think you could make a career out of it.

He lets out a small chuckle.

Alex: Have you been talking to Jean?

Mark: She thinks the same. We just want the best for you.

Alex: Yous two need to stop treating me like a kid. I know I'm not like the two of you, but I can handle it. It's just that sometimes...

Mark: Sometimes it just takes a toll.

He nods before continuing to wash his hands. I decide not to push any further, I'll let him get through this, and if he wants to talk about then, then we'll talk. 

We finish cleaning ourselves up and go back to the car. I open up the boot and retrieve a change of clothes for us. After changing our shirts, we go back and join Jean and Twice. The crew are already packing the equipme

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter