Chapter 16

Will we ever be ok?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~A/N: IF YOU WERE SATISFIED WITH THE REALISTIC ENDING AND DON'T WANT JIKOOK TO BE TOGETHER DO NOT READ THIS CHAPTER!!!

However, if you did want jikook to be together then this is the alternative ending which was meant for you, so read on.

 

Taking a deep breath Jimin nervously entered the facility and made his way to the front desk. The guard there looked up at him and asked how he could be of service.

"Um... I-I'd like to see Jeon Jungkook," Jimin said.

"Fill this out and we'll let you know when you can go in to see him," The guard responded pointing to a clipboard on the side of the counter. Jimin placed the baby carrier he was holding down on the ground before grabbing a clipboard and filling out the form. He finished it and gave it back to the guard, after which he took a hold of the baby carrier and made his way to an empty seat in one of the chairs set around the area. Nervously Jimin waited and chewed on his lower lip as he rocked the baby carrier gently to make sure Sukja stayed asleep.

Jimin observed his daughter while waiting. His eyes scanning her delicate little face swarmed by short dark black hair, her small nose and beautiful rosy cheeks complimenting the tiny mouth she had. Her hands were currently curled into fists with one next to her head and the other above her chest. She was breathing slowly, completely relaxed and hopefully caught up in a nice dream. Jimin was still struck by how perfect his little girl was each time he looked at her, which made the news he'd gotten at her last checkup a week ago all the more disheartening.

He still didn't want to believe what he'd been told. He didn't want to believe that there was something wrong with Sukja, didn't want to believe that she wasn't born perfect and healthy. But he couldn't ignore what the doctor had told him. Even if Sukja was perfect and looked perfectly normal and healthy... she wasn't. Jimin's eyes teared up again as he recalled what the doctor had told him.

"Sukja... she has a heart and lung problem. Her lungs aren't working the way they're supposed to and so her blood isn't being supplied with enough oxygen, this is why she sleeps so much more than what's normal... And her heart... there's a slight arrhythmia to it. It's very hard to detect but every few minutes it skips a few beats. This is abnormal and if not addressed could cause greater health complications in the future," Doctor Yu said.

"H-how did this happen?" Jimin asked, voice wavering in fear he'd caused it to happen.

"We suspect these problems were then since she was born... it was just somehow missed. I'm sorry Jimin-ah, I really am."

"B-but how... w-why now? D-did I do s-something wr-wrong while p-pregnant?" Jimin asked tears slipping down his face.

"No you didn't... these things sometimes happen... It's our fault for not having realized sooner. We... I should have taken your worries more seriously and examined her more thoroughly last time you were here."

"Why d-didn't you r-realize earlier?"

"She looks perfectly healthy Jimin... with a normal physical exam it's hard to detect these things, she wasn't displaying any of the normal symptoms associated with her condition... it's only when we do more extensive tests that we realize somethings wrong."

"B-but you said i-it most likely h-has been t-this way since s-she was born... w-why would it take t-this long to learn about it?!"

"I know you're upset Jimin and I'm really sorry about this. I truly am... I can't tell you why it took us this long to diagnose her... I can't even begin to apologize for it but right now finding the reason why isn't important... we need to focus on helping her."

"... what d-do I have t-to do now?"

"We need to start treatment as soon as possible... we might need to undergo surgery as well... but it's a lot of money and there are high risks as well..."

"How... how much?" Jimin asked looking up at Doctor Yu.

The doctor didn't answer right away as he pressed his lips into a thin line and looked at Jimin. He finally sighed and said, "over two billion won".

"I... I don't... h-have that kind of m-money... I d-don't e-even know h-how I wo-would get that much," Jimin replied with trembling lips.

"I know... and I realize it's a difficult situation to be in... but we can't do anything for her until you get the money Jimin-ah... I'm really sorry."

Doctor Yu's words floated through his mind and plagued his heart. He knew it had hurt Doctor Yu to tell him that just as much as it hurt Jimin to hear him say it. But doctor Yu had already been treating Sukja for free for a while so Jimin knew if he could he would have gotten Sukja the treatment and surgery if he was capable of it, and so he didn't blame the doctor. But his conversation had left him with the dilemma of finding the money to pay for Sukja's surgery which needed to be done within the next two months if he wanted her to live to see her first birthday. It broke Jimin's heart when he'd learned all this and realized he wasn't going to be able to help his daughter on his own or even with all his friend's help.

And so Jimin had returned to Busan from Seoul and come to visit Jungkook after not having had any contact with the younger for three whole months. He wondered for the millionth time if this was a good idea. Would Jungkook even want to see him anymore? Would the younger help him? Keep the promise he'd made the last time they'd seen each other before the hearing? Would Jungkook still be willing to give him the money he'd promised Jimin could use without expecting anything in return? Or would he have demands he wanted met this time around? Jimin worried that Jungkook had kept a grudge and would be cruel to him when they saw each other. He worried the younger would use this as a bargaining opportunity and Jimin knew that he'd give in to whatever the younger wanted for the sake of his daughter... even if that demand was something he didn't want to do like marry him.

"Park Jimin?" The receptionist called out and Jimin stood up taking a hold of the baby carrier again.

"This way please," another guard said as he opened the door by the reception desk and lead the way. They stopped in front of a glass window and Jimin looked inside the room it overlooked. The room was plain and only held about half a dozen tables with two chairs at each table. Jimin saw Jungkook already sitting at one of the tables which were near the glass windows that overlooked the yard outside the prison.

"You can talk as long as you want but if he attacks you or you feel unsafe all you have to do is yell and we'll have him taken back to his cell right away. We'll be watching closely through these one-way windows but won't be listening in on your conversation. However, we do record everything that happens in this room. There are cameras all around as well as audio devices. So while we're not listening if we ever think we need to we can go back and listen to what was said, just so you are aware," the guard explained and Jimin nodded.

"Do you want to take your daughter with you or leave her for one of us to watch?" The guard asked glancing down at the baby carrier.

"I... I'll take her with me. He won't hurt her... or me," Jimin said. The guard nodded and then opened the door to the room and motioned for Jimin to go in.

Jimin took a deep breath in before walking inside and straight towards the table Jungkook was seated at. The door closed behind him rather loudly and it caused Jungkook to turn away from the window to see who it was that had come to visit him. His eyes widened when he saw Jimin, the younger probably didn't expect to see him. Jimin walked up to the table and placed the baby carrier on top of the small table making sure it was not close to the edge. Jungkook's eyes shifted away from Jimin to peer at Sukja as Jimin took a seat in front of him, the baby carrier between them. Jimin could see the longing look in Jungkook's eyes and he could tell Jungkook wanted to hold her but was restraining himself. Jimin watched Jungkook and waited for the other to speak up first not wanting to initiate the conversation himself. Jungkook continued to stare at Sukja for a minute more before finally tearing his eyes away from her and towards Jimin, the same longing look mixed with something else that Jimin couldn't decipher upon his features.

They sat in silence still observing one another. Jimin noted all the things that seemed different about Jungkook while the younger did the same. The first thing Jimin noticed was a couple of bruises, one on Jungkook's left jaw which was almost faded away but still visible, and another on his right forearm which looked much newer. The next thing Jimin noticed was that Jungkook looked thinner now and Jimin wondered if they underfed their prisoners here. He really hoped that wasn't the case. No matter how much Jimin had suffered from Jungkook, he still didn't want to see Jungkook suffer from something like hunger or beatings. The only suffering he wanted Jungkook to experience was emotional, nothing physical. He had wanted the younger to realize his wrongdoings and work to better himself.

"It's nice to see you Jimin, how have you been?" Jungkook finally spoke up, voice soft as he continued looking at Jimin.

Jimin swallowed before looking down at the table and answering, "I've been managing... how have you been?"

Jungkook shrugged before saying, "I could be better." Another moment of silence passed before the younger asked, "So what brings you here? I thought you never wanted to see me again?"

Jimin had expected to hear that accusation and question but he had imagined it would be delivered with a voice of disdain or contempt, however it hadn't been. Jungkook had as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter