Chapter 16

As Long as You Love ME

 

***

 

“Yah. Hyung, what’s with the smile?”

Kiseop was talking to Alexander. But the latter didn’t hear for he was so busy staring on the thing he was holding.

It was Lily’s I.D. She left it in his house the other day. He couldn’t stop himself from smiling by just looking at her one-by-one picture. And what amaze him more is that Lily is working at A.E. Company, one of the Eusebio’s Empire. Isn’t that cool? Fate is really on his side.

“Aishh… Seems like I am talking with the air.” Kiseop sighed.

Soohyun who just arrived tapped Kiseop’s shoulder. “Just bare with Xander. Look at him. He’s so happy. It had been months since we last saw him smile like that.”

Kiseop just shrugged.

“Wassup, people!” Eli entered the practice room with a high energy. “Hey, what’s that?” Eli sat beside Alexander and grab Lily’s I.D. from his hand.

“Yah!” Xander exclaimed. He tried to take it back from Eli but the latter was fast enough to put it away from him.

“Oh, it’s Lily’s I.D.” Eli announced. Kevin, Dongho and Kibum entered the practice room when they heard the pigeon’s announcement.

“You, wingless pigeon! Give it to me!” But Eli shook his head. Instead, he gave it to Kevin.

“Maria Joanna Lilibeth Bautista, accounting staff, A.E. Company.” Kevin read as he scanned the I.D.

“Aishh. She actually has a long name. I bet she had a hard time writing it during her pre-school days.” Everyone agreed to Kibum except Xander who was still frowning.

“Wait. You said, A.E. Company?” Dongho asked. “Isn’t that Uncle A’s company?” He then turned to Xander. “Hyung, did you hire her?”

Everyone eyed on Alexander, waiting for his answer. He paused for a moment before he answered, “No.” He got a chance to steal the I.D. from Kevin, and then escaped himself from his group’s raging stares.

“Yah, hyung! Where are you going? We’re not yet done with our practice!” Eli shouted.

But Xander was out of sight.

“We’re not even starting yet.” Soohyun exclaimed.

Aisshh. What’s his problem? He’s been acting weird.” Kiseop commented. His co-members never doubted it.

“Maybe he is depressed.” Kevin muttered.

“Depressed? Is that what you called depressed? he was smiling from ear to ear while looking at Lily’s I.D. before you came in.” Soohyun said.

“Jinjja? But I heard he has a problem with Uncle A and Aunt Chungmi. Didn’t you know that Alexander hyung is getting married?” Kevin informed them.

“Mwo?” The five boys exclaimed in unison.

“What are you talking about? I thought it was just a petty wish of Uncle.” Eli frowned.

“Did you mean, Lily and Xander Hyung---“ Dongho hanged his question.

“Sadly, no. based on what I heard, hyung hasn’t met his fiancée yet.” Kevin said.

His co-members’ jaw dropped simultaneously.

“How did you know about this? And how come hyung didn’t tell us about this?” Kibum complained

“You know I’m very much close with Uncle A and besides, our hyung doesn’t want to get married yet. He’d been arguing with his father since he knew about this.”

All of them remained silent for a moment.

“Poor hyung. He would not enjoy his bachelor life.” Eli said.

“But how about Lily? As far as I know, our hyung is in love with her.” Soohyun muttered.

The other four just shrugged.

“Things are more complicated now.”

“Yeah.” Kevin sighed.

“Yah. Hyung, aren’t you hungry? My tummy is complaining already.” Dongho suddenly changed the topic.

“Aishh. Dongho-ah! You’re being inconsiderate again. We are talking about our hyung’s problem here.” Kibum scolded the maknae.

“But hyung, what’s the use of discussing it? We can’t help him by just giving our thoughts about it. I’m sure, Xander hyung can handle it himself. He’s old enough to face this kind of problem.” Dongho said seriously.

“Shin Dongho. Is that you talking? Somehow, you have a point there.” Eli tapped their maknae’s head.

“Yeah, Dongho is right. Alexander hyung is a tough man. We can leave it to him. But when the time comes he can’t handle it anymore, I’m sure he knows we’re here for him.” Soohyun added.

 

 

***

 

“Asan na ba ‘yun?” Panay ang kalkal ni Lily sa bag niya sa paghahanap sa kanyang I.D. Hindi niya alam kung na-misplace niya ito o nahulog sa kung saan. Strictly “No I.D., No Entry” pa naman ang policy sa building ng A.E. Company. Kaunting minuto na lamang ay mahuhuli na siya sa kanyang trabaho. “Lintik na I.D. ka. Nasaan ka na ba?”

“Got  a problem?”

It was Alexander. At ang magandang ngiti nito ang bumungad sa kanya. No doubt, buo na ang araw niya.

“Oppa.”

Alexander’s smile widened. “Uh-huh, it’s me.”

“What are you doing here?”

“I was walking ‘round the street when I heard someone called my name. I thought it was you, so here I am. You need a help?”

“But I didn’t call your name.” Wala siyang naaalalang tinawag niya ito. She didn’t even know he was around.

“Really?” He grinned. “Maybe it was just my imagination.” He scratched his head.

Hindi niya alam kung maniniwala siya dito o hindi.

“So, you work here?”

She nodded.

“But why didn’t you come in? It’s already 9:00 o’clock.” He looked at his watch. “You have to start working.”

“Yeah, I know but I can’t go inside without my I.D. They are so strict when it comes to security that’s why we must present our I.D. to get inside. But I lost mine.” She sighed.

“I see.” Xander said while nodding. “I think I can help you with your problem.” He held Lily’s hand and led her to the lobby.

Weird. Nakapasok siya sa loob ng building ng hindi man lamang sinisita ng mga securities. At mas nakakapagtaka pa ay ang paraan ng pagbati ng mga taong nadaraanan nila ni Xander. All of them greeted him as if he owns the whole building. Well, magtataka pa ba siya? Alexander is Alexander. He and U-KISS are very well-known now.

He let go of her hand when they reached the elevator.

“What floor?” He asked as they etered in.

“Fifth.” She answered with matching hand gesture.

Lily chose not to say anything while they while they were inside the elevator. She just observed the person standing beside her. She never thought that being near to him could be like this. Nakakakaba, nakakakilig, nakakatuwa, at iba pang ‘nakaka’.

“Sana araw-araw ganito. Kahit hindi ko na Makita ang I.D. ko, basta siya ang magiging passes ko, okay na ‘ko…”, bulong niya sa isip habang nakatingala at nakatitig sa gwapong mukha nito.

Alexander suddenly looked at her. At nahuli siya nitong nakatitig ditto! She immediately looked away.

“Don’t worry, I will not sue you for staring at me,” Alexander said. He couldn’t hide the smile on his face.

She cleared . “I-I’m not staring at you,” palusot niya. “I’m just looking at the….” Nag-isip siya ng alibi. “I’m just looking at the wall.”

“At the wall?” He laughed. “You tell that to the marines.”

Then the elevator opened. He immediately went out. Pero siya ay hindi pa gumagalaw sa kinatatayuan.

“Lily.” He called.

Mabuti na lang at nakalabas agad siya bago pa man sumara ang elevator. Pero sana  nga ay nasarahan na lang siya. O di kaya ay naipit ng bonggang-bongga hanggang mapino siya at mawala na lang sa kinaroroonan niya nag sag anon ay makatakas siya sa kahihiyan sa dulot ng pagtitig niya sa mukha ng lalaking pinapangarap niya.

He was waiting for her, still smiling.

Nakakainis. Bakit ba kahit naiinis siya ay kinikilig pa din siya sa mga ngiti nito?

“You don’t have to take me to our office. I’m sure you have a hectic schedule. I don’t want to -- .”

“It’s okay. It’s actually my free time. Besides, I have to give you this.”

May kinuha ito sa bulsa at iniabot sa kanya.

Ang I.D. niya!

“Oppa, where did you get this? And why didn’t you tell me you have this you?”

“Oh, I forgot about it.” He smiled sheepishly.

Well, sige na nga. Mapapatawad naman siguro niya ito dahil kahit paano’y nag-effort pa ito para lamang ibalik sa kanya ang I.D. To think, he has a very busy schedule.

“It’s okay, oppa. And thank you for bringing it back to me.”

“Chonmaneyo,” he said. “Ah… Lily, can I borrow your phone?”

“Sure.” She handed him her phone. Akala niya ay may tatawagan ito pero nagpindot-pindot lamang ito at binalik agad sa kanya ang cellphone .

“I have to go now. See you next time.”

Hindi man lamang siya nakapagpaalam dito ng maayos dahil mabilis itong nagtungo sa elevator.

He flashed his gorgeous smile and waived before the elevator closes.

Paano ba siya makakapagtrabaho ng kung ang ngiting iyon ang nasa isip niya?

 

 

***

 

 

He never thought of being an actor because he is just good at performing. But Xander thinks that Oscar Awards must acknowledge his acting skills. Lily had no idea of his plans. He went to A.E.Building to see her and to return her I.D. Of course he knows she couldn’t enter that building without her identification card. Why? His father owns the place for Pete’s sake!

Luckily, none of their employees told Lily who he is. He doesn’t want to know yet. Perfect time will come. And this is the perfect time to tell his father that he doesn’t want to get married to his unknown fiancée.

He was still inside the A.E. Building to talk to his Dad. He was about to enter the C.E.O.’s office when he heard a familiar voice coming from the office room. It was his noona’s voice.

“Victoria noona is here? Since when and why?”

His older sister is currently working in the states. She comes home only on special days like Christmas and birthday. He wondered why she was here.

He slightly opened the door to see what’s happening inside. He saw his mother sitting beside his father and his noona in front of the two. All of them were serious. He was sure they’re talking about an important matter.

He is really not into eavesdropping. But this time, he has the urge to know what are they discussing. He had this feeling that it is him they’re talking about.

“But Alexander said he doesn’t want to get married,” said Victoria.

“Yeah, but I’m still hoping he would realize what he would miss if he refuse to get married,” Anthony said.

“Don’t you think it’s too much for him? He is still young. And he needs time to think about it.”

Alexander was touched by what his mother had said. After all, she still cares for him.

“But all things are settled now. I already talked to Lily’s father. They’re coming here soon.”

“How about Lily? Have you told her already about this?” His noona asked.

Lily. Is that the name of his fiancée? How ridiculous! His fiancee’s name is the same as Lily, his future yeoja chingu.

“Ne. That young lady…” Xander saw his father smiled. “I really want her to be my son’s spouse.”

“She’s working here, right? I’m dying to meet her.” There was an excitement on his noona’s voice.

“Yes, she’s one of the accounting staffs here. Don’t worry, you’ll meet her soon,” his father assured her.

What the hell. Did he just said that his fiancée named Lily is one of the accounting staffs of A.E. Company? Could it be…

Impossible. But he remembered what was written in Lily’s I.D. “Maria Joanna Lilibeth Bautista, accounting staff, A.E. Company.

Is it true? He wanted to confirm. He couldn’t take this anymore. He immediately knocked on the door to get the answer.

“Come in,” Chungmi said.

He came in. and he saw the shocked expression of the people inside the room. He will surely use again his acting skills.

He inhaled and exhaled to calm his nerves up. God, he is dying to know the truth.

“Annyeong haseyo,” he slightly bowed.

“Xander, I missed you!” Victoria hugged him tight.

“Me too. When did you arrived? I thought you were in California?” He said trying to control his emotions.

“Our father asked me to come home. I just arrived yesterday. And how about you, what are you doing here? I thought you hate office stuffs? And you have lots of commitments to attend to.”

“Yeah, but I also have a day off, you know. Besides, I want to  talk to Dad.” He looked at his father’s blank face.

His noona just shrugged and left the room with their mother , Chungmi. He kissed them before they went out.

“Sit down,” said his father when onlt the two of them were inside the room.

***

“I want to meet her.” He said in a determined tone.

“Have you decided already?” Anthony asked.

“Not yet.” He looked at him. “But you’re leaving me with no choice here, right? The wedding will push through whether I like it or not.”

“It’s good you know it,” he said seriously. “I’m planning to have a dinner with her family next week. Your mom and Vicky will be there. And your attendance is a must.  It’s going to be our pamamanhikan.

“What?”

“Pamamanhikan. It’s actually part of the Filipino tradition.”

Whatever,” he thought. It’s not that he doesn’t respect their tradition. But as of now, he just wanted to confirm his suspicion if Lily is his fiancée.

“I guess I’ll be there to meet her and her family.”

But a week is too long. He might have a week of sleepness nights.

Patience Xander, patience.

Alright, patience is a virtue. But what the heck.

“Can I atleast, know her name?” He asked his father impatiently.

He saw his father hesitated for a while.

“She is Ma—“

Then they heard a knock.

“Come in!” His father’s secretary entered the room and bowed at them.

“Mr. Jang is waiting for outside, Sir. You have an appointment with him.” Mr. Jang is one of the company’s investors.

“Yeah, let him in.” Anthony faced Alexander. “I’ll talk to you some other time, son.” He tapped his shoulder.

He was forced to leave the room.

“Aishh. I could’ve known her name!” Xander thought as he entered the elevator.  But he has this feeling that her fiancée and Lily are the same person. His heart is full of anticipation.

The elevator opened when he reached the fifth floor. He saw Lily waiting outside.

“Oppa, you’re still here?” She said as she entered in.

“Y-yeah,” he stammered. He forced to smile. “I just visited a friend who’s also working here.”

Lily nod. God, forgive him for lying—again. He is not really good at it.

“Do you want to have luch with me?” He tried to change the topic.”

“It’s only 10:30 in the morning, oppa.”

Alexander looked at his watch. It says 10:30.

“Ah, yeah, how about coffee?”

“I want to but I still have work to do.” She stepped out from the elevator when it opened.”

“It’s okay. I’ll tell Mrs. Kim to excuse you for the whole day.”

“You know Mrs. Kim?” She knotted her forehead. Mrs. Kim is the A.E. Company’s chief accountant, Lily’s superior.

Uh-oh. He didn’t watch his big mouth!

“Y-yes. Of course, She’s my friend’s friend.” He tried to smile.

Lily nodded again. He wasn’t sure if she believes him.

“Come on. I wouldn’t take no for an answer.”

“I’m sorry. I’m afraid Mrs. Kim won’t let me. We have some deadlines this week and she badly needs me.”

“Aishh. Alright.” He nodded in defeat. “… but promise me you’ll watch our performance in Inkigayo, okay?”

“Inkigayo?” She asked. “Sure! I would love to,” she exclaimed.

He was happy with her reaction. “See you then.”

 

***