It's the feelings that matter

My Conveyor

 

Third Person's POV

 

 

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

 ----------Ralph Waldo Emerson

 

 

Two figures lay closely against each other on the vast sandy shore, with gusts of wind gently taking their silky locks in the air. Throughout the peaceful afternoon, Taeyeon and Tiffany have been enjoying the warm and dry summer breeze gushing through them, as well as the warmth that were emitting through their bodies. The contact between them was neither too close nor too significant. The sound of crashing waves was very much like a resonance to their pulsating hearts, gentle and calm, with a tinge of excitement portrayed by the undulating currents.

 

Interaction should have been an ordinary thing between the two. However, there is a little addition of hesitation whenever one props up her head to look at the other and diffidently tilting away when the other pair of eyes meets. A bashful grin would be tugged on their faces as they traced circles on the soft sand around them.

 

Taeyeon has been rather perplexed by the abnormality in her friend, but she could not figure out the reason behind Tiffany’s uncommunicative behaviour. Nevertheless, all those queries were soon thrown into the back of her mind when she felt a pair of familiar arms snaking around her left one, the grasp was firm yet comfortable. The ease has settled in upon Tiffany’s portrayal of a subtle, yet heartening form of affection. Such little actions never failed to make Taeyeon’s heart flutter like a caged sparrow.

 

Tiffany was first to break the deadlock silence as she mumbled groggily while resting her head on the little shoulder of her companion,

 

“Hmm.. Taeyeon ah… Why are your shoulders always so comfortable?”

 

The smaller girl chuckled at her friend’s comical comment as she leans against Tiffany’s head once more. She nimbly used the tip of her forefinger to scribble some words on the patch of sand in front of them before tapping on Tiffany’s arms to gain her attention.

 

The younger girl cutely lifted her face to meet Taeyeon’s eyes which revealed a tang of cheekiness before following the path of her hand which was pointing at the written words that read, “Lazy bum”.

 

“Yah Kim Taeyeon…..” Tiffany narrowed her eyes and reaches for the older girl’s neck in an attempt to strangle her. However, she could only give a defeated pout when Taeyeon stuck her tongue out at her before getting up to sprint away in a flash.  

 

The two girls ran across the taupe-coloured beach barefooted, creating two long trails on the otherwise uncovered coast. Taeyeon allowed her feet to immerse into the cool waters as she began to waddle awkwardly along the shoreline while at the same time, turning back to take a glance at her friend who always had to do the catch up. Having noticed an approaching Tiffany, Taeyeon scooped handfuls of water to splash at her screaming friend.

 

“Yikes…! Taetae!!!” Tiffany raised her hands to the face-level, trying to dodge the water while Taeyeon continued her incessant attack. The taller girl found it futile to prevent herself from getting wet and thus, she begin to move forward and swiftly grab Taeyeon’s hands, which proved to be a much better way. In return, the shorter girl intertwined their hands together and pulled Tiffany to skip and dance with her as they trudged a little deeper into the waters.

 

Tiffany’s loud voice coupled with light giggles from Taeyeon brightened the atmosphere around them. Apart from the occasional glaring rays of the afternoon sun, arched eyes and broad smiles were the only images that filled their eyes. Both of them were certain that the moment they shared will turn into another piece of lasting impression on an imaginary photo album that only belongs to them.

 

“Ah… I’m exhausted….” Tiffany whined as she dragged her friend back to the shore. She sensed the strong grip on her own hand and turned back, only to see an unmoving Taeyeon who was giving her a rare pout. More often than not, it was the other way round as Tiffany would always get by with whatever she wanted when she displayed aegyo to her smaller friend. However, she finds it adorable whenever Taeyeon does the same thing to her and she had somehow understood that it is always harder to resist any form of actions portrayed by the one she loves.

 

“Fine. What else do you wanna play little taetae?” Tiffany tried to give a straight face but deep in her heart, it was throbbing wildly when she saw a half-drenched Taeyeon whose fair skin seems to glitter under the sun with those puny drops of water dripping down her exposed arms.  

 

Taeyeon unclasped their hands and begin bending down to pick up some small pebbles lying on the shore before showing one of it in front of Tiffany’s face. She then swings her arm and throws the pebble with technique. The taller girl look in awe as the pebble created three ripples on the surface of the sea before plunging into the waters.

 

“I don’t think I can do it.”

 

The smaller girl placed a pebble into Tiffany’s right hand before looping her arms around her friend’s back so as to guide her along. Taeyeon pointed to the distance with her left hand, gesturing Tiffany to look straight ahead while her right one was securely holding on to Tiffany’s right arm, moving it in a semi-circular motion. The taller girl was trying really hard to concentrate on Taeyeon’s guidance as she was totally distracted by the close proximity between their bodies.

 

Tiffany knew she looked like a fool when she was brought back into senses after Taeyeon waved her free hand in front of her face and she could felt her cheeks flushing upon meeting the smaller girl’s curious eyes.

 

What are you thinking about? Taeyeon twisted her first two fingers near her left temple.

 

“Uh.. Nothing much… Okays how to do it again?” Tiffany hides her fretfulness with one of her signature eyesmiles once more.

 

Taeyeon patiently repeated her gesticulated instructions and the taller girl squealed in delight after witnessing her successful throw which was very much assisted by Taeyeon’s hand as well.

 

Try it yourself. Taeyeon pointed to her friend before directing her hand to the sea.

 

Tiffany scrunched her brows in uncertainty while struggling to recall the earlier technique taught by Taeyeon. She hesitated a little, before pursing her lips and held her breathe to throw the pebble in her hand. The result was not unexpected, as the pebble made its way straight into the waters. However, Tiffany found it more bewildering when she heard chortles coming from her friend who was patiently coaching her a while ago.  

 

She took a handful of small rocks and sand before stuffing them into the back of Taeyeon’s shirt and break away to sprint as fast as she could. The smaller girl struggled to reach for her back with her short hands while giving chase at the same time.

 

Tiffany was amused with the way her friend runs while trying to flap off those dirt in the back of her shirt. She giggled while turning back to capture the comical scene from time to time.

 

“Dirty Taeyeon….!” Tiffany turned her head once more to give her friend a teasing shoutout while dashing along the shores. Failing to notice a huge chip of glass buried in the sand, Tiffany cried in pain after being cut in the toes.

 

Having caught sight of her friend tumbling to the ground, Taeyeon quickened her footsteps and made a dash to Tiffany, only to widen her eyes in horror after noticing the deep slit that was visible on the taller girl’s right foot. Fresh blood was oozing out from the wound and Taeyeon could feel her heart wincing in pain while she looked on with worried eyes.

 

Hold on. Taeyeon halt Tiffany with her hands who was trying to reach for her foot as she hissed in agony.

 

Without much hesitation, the smaller girl sped off to where their belongings were and returned with a cloth and a bottle of drinking water. Using the drinking water was a much better option to clean the wound as Taeyeon made do with whatever she had to carefully clean and wrap Tiffany’s foot.

 

Tiffany could slowly feel the pain diminishing as she looks at her friend who was giving attention to her wound, watchfully handling her feet with care while binding it with skill. It almost made Tiffany believed that there was some kind of healing effect from her friend’s soft touches, coupled with the comfort that she had found when looking into those dark orbs of Taeyeon’s, which seemed to be glistening with tears that were impending to well up in her rounded eyes. Tiffany could almost see Taeyeon’s heavy heart upon witnessing an inaudible sigh escaping from the smaller girl’s lips. The pain from the younger woman’s injury had seemed to relocate to Taeyeon’s heart.  

 

“Why are you always being over-concern about me?”

 

Tiffany eyes are still fixated on Taeyeon’s, staring at her intently. The smaller girl could only look blankly at Tiffany’s injured feet, caressing it lightly in an attempt to shun away from her friend’s strong gaze, on top of the question. Taeyeon knew that she would give herself away as she always falter upon Tiffany’s eyes. Thus, she resorted to avoidance as she continued to rub and massage Tiffany’s foot, hoping to conceal whatever feelings and reasons that she was trying to hold on to. But little did she realise that by doing so, she had actually gave Tiffany a much apparent answer.

 

Although Tiffany wished to probe further, she lightened the mood a little after sensing Taeyeon’s uneasiness.

 

“Well… I swear I wouldn’t let you off if you are actually nonchalant about me…” Tiffany scrunched her brows slightly, pretending to look intimidating for Taeyeon. The latter smiled goofily in response before turning around to face her back at Tiffany while remaining in a squatting position, gesturing for her friend to get on for a piggy-back ride.

 

Get on my back. Taeyeon tilt her head back to face Tiffany while repeatedly pointing at her own shoulders.

 

“What are you doing Taetae? I can walk on my own…” Taeyeon did not allow Tiffany to have any chances of refusal as she grabbed the taller girl’s arms and hang them over her shoulders before meticulously lifting her friend up by the thighs as she got up in a standing position without much effort. Tiffany was amazed by her smaller friend’s Hercules strength as she grabbed onto the shoulders of Taeyeon tighter.

 

Despite the difficulty to tread on the soft sand, Taeyeon managed to carry Tiffany to their original spot, before loosely slipping on her sandals and make their way to her bike. She then carefully place Tiffany on the back of the two-wheeled vehicle while holding onto the handle bar with one hand to stabilise the vehicle.

 

“You make me look like a baby taetae..” Tiffany commented on her friend’s meticulousness. Her cheeks turned red when Taeyeon responded by tickling her under chin and making some pouted faces.

 

“Yah…!” She slap away Taeyeon’s hand for teasing her yet again while the smaller girl could only grin idiotically as she makes her way to the front seat.

 

 

Pedalling slowly, Taeyeon tried to avoid the bumps on the path to ensure a safe ride for her already injured friend. Currently, nothing is more important than Tiffany’s well-being for the smaller girl’s mind.

 

Similarly, images of Taeyeon were what that occupied Tiffany’s head. Every single thing that Taeyeon did only accentuates the hidden love for her friend, and they could not escape Tiffany’s eyes, as the taller girl had somehow gotten the answer to her earlier question.

 

Tiffany tightened her arms around the small waist of Taeyeon’s as she closes her eyes and nuzzle against the smaller girl’s back.

 

Taeyeon ah… It’s amazing that I could slowly begin to hear the little voice in the back of your mind. I can truly feel your love and concern for me now. I am sorry for not opening my heart widely earlier to thoroughly receive and recognise the things you’ve done for me. I do not need to seek those words of love from you. Just continue to treat me this way. I love you.

 

 

That's the way you make me feel

 Better than I've ever known it

 Better than it's ever been

 I can't seem to control it, no

 The way you make me feel

 Like the sun coming up in the morning

 Like holding the world in your hands

 In a way I could

 Never imagine (yeah)

 The way you make me feel

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany crossed her legs on Taeyeon’s bed as she held onto her right foot to look at the new bandage that her friend had helped to change after her shower. The younger woman felt bored after being instructed to stay on the bed while waiting for her friend to prepare their dinner. The white swathe in bandages looks appalling and that made Tiffany sigh in ennui.

 

“This bandage looks dull. Let me see if Taeyeon has pink ribbons.” Tiffany hops off the bed and skips her way to the desk with her able foot. While rummaging through the racks, she chance upon a rolled canvas sheet which was nicely tied with a baby pink ribbon. Apart from getting her desired pink ribbon, Tiffany was eager to see a great piece of artwork from her talented friend. It has certainly been a long time since she saw her friend’s works.

 

Tiffany held her breathe and her eyes grew wide in disbelief as she unveils the piece of drawing. It revealed a portrait sketch of her and it was beautifully drawn with angelic wings. Despite her numerous pleas to have a portrait drawn by Taeyeon, her friend would always by drawing some other weird things other than to sincerely create a sketch for her. This was truly the first time for Tiffany to see a sketch of herself.

 

***

“Kim Taeyeon! Why can’t you draw me properly?!” Tiffany shoved the piece of drawing back to her friend who was chuckling endlessly. She crossed her arms and plopped down heavily on the wooden bench, while Taeyeon gulped at the sight of an enraged Tiffany. It was not her limited ability, or her disinterest in drawing a sketch of her friend. Rather, it was difficult for Taeyeon to focus on her drawing with a captivating Tiffany in front of her.

 

Trying to appease her friend, Taeyeon look on at the back view of Tiffany seating on the bench and begin wielding on the drawing pad that she was holding onto. She tore off the done sketch before dropping it on the empty space beside her friend as she made her way back into the house.

 

A weak smile was visible on Tiffany’s face when she saw the sketch that was drawn by her considerate friend, with words of apology written at the bottom,

 

“I am sorry Tiffany.” The taller girl then glance up to look at the drawing again, which depicts a girl sitting on a bench back-facing a shorter girl, who look dejectedly with her shoulders drooping. Tiffany realised that her behaviour has upset her friend who was always very forgiving to her. She looked up and made a dash to catch up with Taeyeon before enveloping her with a back hug.

 

“Taetae…. I will always like what you draw. Please draw more of me regardless if they are mushrooms or flowers or even a silly pig. I am sorry….”

***

 

“And I have never expected that you would draw me as an angel…” Tiffany muttered to herself as she continued gazing at the sketch. Tears start to form in her eyes as she was touched, not only by the fact that she is beautiful in Taeyeon’s perspective, but also the fact that her friend has been suppressing her own true feelings throughout the years.

 

Having heard the shuffling of footsteps coming closer, Tiffany speedily rolled the canvas sheet and slackly tie it up before turning around to face her incoming friend while sneakily placing it back to its original position.

 

“Uh.. haha Taetae yyou’re bback…” Tiffany smiled awkwardly at the smaller girl while hopping back to the bed.

 

Taeyeon carefully place the bowl of abalone porridge on the desk before lightly pushing Tiffany’s forehead for not obeying to her instructions.

 

I told you to rest well on the bed. Taeyeon knitted her brows and pointed at her bed before tucking her hands on her waist.

 

“Sorry Taetae.. But I was bored” Tiffany pouted while looking at her bandage foot once more.

 

The smaller girl shook her head in defeat as she went to reach for the piping hot bowl before making her way to Tiffany’s side. She carefully scoops a spoonful of congee and lightly blow it before lifting it in front of Tiffany’s mouth in an attempt to place them into the taller girl’s mouth.

 

Tiffany could not differentiate the heat from the porridge and the heat that is radiating on her cheeks. Neither could she explain if it was the sweetness from the abalone or the effect of the thoughtful gesture of Taeyeon.

 

“Yyyah Taetae ah… I can feed myself you know. It’s only my foot that is injured. My hands are perfectly fine.”

 

Taeyeon smiled meekly and passed the bowl to Tiffany before scratching her head in embarrassment.

 

“Aren’t you gonna eat?” Tiffany questioned with mouthfuls of porridge after noticing that Taeyeon has been staring at her blankly.

 

The smaller girl could only grin bashfully before making her way out of the room to retrieve her own share as well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany lie with her stomach on Taeyeon’s bed while Taeyeon sat on the floor with her legs crossed. Both of them were focusing to complete a game of jigsaw as they stare at the half done puzzle. Before that, Tiffany was complaining of boredom before Taeyeon went to dig out a dusty box of jigsaws to kill time.

 

“Taeyeon ah… I doubt that I would be looking for a job so soon since I’ve hurt my foot. That gave me a reason to skive and play for a few more days yea?” Tiffany look at Taeyeon with expectant eyes.

 

Understanding her friend’s intention, Taeyeon look up and responded by spreading out her arms before walking her first two fingers in the air,

 

Where do you wanna go?

 

“Hmm…. Let’s fly a kite tomorrow! I’ve not done that in a while!” Tiffany cheered in excitement while showing her eyesmile. However, her eyes grew wide in surprise when she saw Taeyeon messing up the puzzle that they had painstakingly pieced together earlier.

 

“What are you doing?” Tiffany look on in befuddlement when she saw her friend clearing the jigsaw aside before plopping down on the floor again with papers and materials in her hands.

 

“Oh.. We’re making our own kite?!” The girl on the bed pointed at the wooden sticks and coloured ribbons before being greeted by a dimpled smile from the girl on the floor.

 

Tiffany rested her chin on her hands as she observes how Taeyeon wield the crayons in her hands effortlessly. She began to reach for some pink papers to fold them into ribbons in an attempt to make some contributions as well. The sight of a focused Taeyeon working on the kite soothes Tiffany, as she slowly flutters her eyelids while her head rests on the side of Taeyeon’s bed.

 

Sensing a quietened Tiffany, Taeyeon propped up her head, only to see her friend sleeping soundly on her bed. She reached for her blanket to cloak it over Tiffany, looking at the angelic sleeping form before caressing those pinkish cheeks of the girl before her. There were many uncertainties lingering in Taeyeon’s mind. She was uncertain if Tiffany feels the same way as she does. She was uncertain where her relationship with Tiffany lies. She was uncertain about how their future would be. However, when she felt an unconscious smile creeping onto her face upon seeing the way Tiffany twitched in her sleep, she was certain that the way Tiffany made her feel has always been the same.

 

 

I couldn't feel much better

 Than when I'm here with you

 You make everything seem so easy

 I'm telling you the truth

 You never try to please me

 But somehow you always do

 

 

 

==========================

 

continue to read on... it's a double update ^^