Let It Rain

My Conveyor

Tiffany's POV

 

 

Into each life some rain must fall. 
--------Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 

 

 

Unthinkingly stirring the cup of coffee before me, I look out of the window pane, observing the looming grey clouds as the trees sway meekly in the squally wind. Concerned about my dearest who is perhaps, still slumbering in the bed, I reach for my mobile on the table, lightly tapping on it to reveal our adorable picture. Trying to stifle a reflex smile of contentment, I sweep the surface of the screen gently while marvelling at the milky skin of Taeyeon’s cheeks. She looks utterly endearing with her eyes close and her pinkish lips on my face. Her expression was full of love and beaming with happiness. I would love to be the only provider and receiver of that look, and I am confident that I will be able to secure and protect the brightness and optimism of my lover for a long time coming.

 

Proceeding with what I wanted to do, I fervently hit on the screen pad to send a message of solicitude.

 

Taetae ah... Have u woken up?  It’s gonna be a windy day... If u hadn’t, do pull up the blankets... ^^ <3

 

In a little while, the rectangular block vibrated eagerly as I place down the porcelain cup in my hands after taking in a good sip of the aromatic caffeine. A string of speedy exchanging of messages follows after Taeyeon’s initial comical reply.

 

Ur msg woke me up... *Yawns* oh yea.... I’ve closed e windows before falling back to my bed... I dun wanna get up for work.... =/

 

Yah! Sleepy head! I’m already in the office when I could probably join u in e warm bed... I wish to laze a little longer with u as well... >.<

 

U should... I missed ur warmth so much... *pouts*

 

Those words trigger off an ineffable sensation in my heart, tickling and warming it in every aspect. Such uncommon aegyo displayed from Taeyeon is always highly received and well taken by me, as she is not one who resorts to sugary words to make an impression. Hence, the once in   while cheesy comment or statement from her would bring me over the moon.

 

That’s cheesy Taetae.... But I’m cheesier... *kisses ur pouted lips* ^_^

 

Okays! I’m fully awake now.... kekekekekekeke....

 

That’s good... now go get ready for work!

 

I need some motivation.... *_*

 

Hmm... How about... Dak Bulgogi for dinner?

 

Yay!!!! Let’s inform each other when we’re done with our work ok? =D

 

Of cos....! C u later Taetae... Hwaiting! <3<3<3

 

C u later Yeppeuni... <3<3<3<3

 

 

I truly love the way she expresses herself these days. It was a huge step, both for me and her. Despite the fact that I should probably be the one who understands her the most, for the past thirteen years or so, it is only recently that somehow, our hearts are truly connected in a way which no one else could see. It is almost analogous to sharing the same heart, as our pulses beat in unison. I could feel every single passion and feeling that is running through the veins of Taeyeon.

 

If I could lead a life without the obligations of work, I would probably cling onto her for every opportunity I have. This is how much I love her at the moment, and I know this sentiment would continue to grow as we break down and dissolve the psychological barriers between us. From the moment Taeyeon unveils her dark past to me, I was certain that I might have reached the deepest base in her heart. All I have to do now is to rebuild the walls of it to make her stronger.

 

 

 

After being assured that she is all fine and safe, I switch on the desktop in anticipation as I drum my fingers on the keyboard, subsequently crossing them together when the computer was fully start up.

 

I have contacted a well known hypnotherapist in Seoul whom Sooyoung recommended. With substantial knowledge and further research on hypnotism, I decided to take a chance at consulting a hypnotherapist for Taeyeon’s vocal condition. I remembered seeking advice from my lecturer during a final year module in regards to psychoanalysis. He gave a rather comprehensive explanation about the workings of the conscious and unconscious mind and even relating it to Taeyeon’s condition which I had brought up. In conclusion, he suggested hypnotherapy but pointed out the potential impacts of it and made no promise that it is the most viable solution to my lover’s speech impairment.

 

However, I believe we should at least, take a crack at any opportunity to regain her speaking ability. After all, no matter the ultimate outcome, I will still love her as who she is. The only thing that I was apprehensive about is to put Taeyeon through the agony of recalling the pain and fear that has haunted her for over a decade. 

 

I said a silent prayer before logging into my electronic mail, holding my breath for a few good seconds when I saw a new mail from Dr Kim Hyoyeon, the hypnotherapist whom I wrote to.

------------------------------------------------

From Dr Kim:

 

Dear Tiffany sshi,

 

After reading through the detailed explanation of your friend’s condition, I agreed that hypnotherapy might be a workable solution as Miss Kim’s vocal disability could have been hindered by the complications in her subconscious mind. Moreover, I can feel your keenness in helping her, and it greatly touches me so much. Hopefully, my assistance would aid in recovering your friend’s deserved voice. You can contact my secretary to make an appointment. Do send me additional relevant information so as to serve the therapy session better. With that, I will be looking forward to see you soon.

 

Regards,

Hyoyeon

------------------------------------------

 

Placing both of my hands on the chest, I heave a sigh of relief before muttering words of gratitude while facing the screen, seemingly hoping that Dr Kim might be able to hear how grateful I am for her readiness to help. Being able to engage one of the most professional hypnotherapists is certainly encouraging, as I raise the hope of relishing my greatest wish.

 

***

“Happy Birthday to Tiffany....... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.....!!!!”

 

I was surrounded by my Dad and other children of the same age, immersing in their wishes as I clasped my hands together. Taeyeon who was standing beside me, constantly played with the party blower against my cheek.

 

“Make some wishes sweetie. You can have three.” Daddy stated as he held the bulky camera in his hands.

 

“I wish to own a big house one day for the three of us to stay.”

 

“I wish that Daddy and Taetae will always be happy.”

 

Before proceeding to exclaim my last wish, an abrupt interjection by my Dad prevented me from doing so.

 

“Keep the final wish to yourself, and don’t say it out loud so that it will really come true.”

 

I pondered a little, pursing my lips as I look to the side at a cheerful Taeyeon before closing my eyes in front of the strawberry cake to silently make my last wish.

 

I wish... Taetae will be able to speak one day.

 

After I was done, I pulled the girl beside me a little closer.

 

“Let’s blow the candles together!”

 

Jointly, we blew out all ten candles while Sooyoung and our other friends cheered for us.

***

 

Since then, I have been making the same wish for every twelve months, despite gradually realising that wishes are simply meant to be desired and unattainable as I grew up. However, I held onto the belief that clutching on the slightest bit of hope would induce our willpower to achieve it someday.

 

And today, it seems like I am about to translate dreams into reality.

 

I was waiting for so long
For a miracle to come
Everyone told me to be strong
Hold on and don't shed a tear

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

While I was sorting out the documents on my desk, light taps were felt on my shoulders.

 

“Tiffany sshi, there’re two ladies waiting outside for you...”

 

I stood up to get a better view from my workspace and saw an enthused Jessica giving a quick wave. I smiled at her before patting on my colleagues’ shoulders.

 

“Thanks Seungyeon...”

 

It made me all hyper to see the lovely couple again. Ever since the day Yuri was discharged from the hospital, I could only get to see them once a week when the tanned girl has to receive her weekly therapy session.

 

“Good morning! Here for your check-up again Kkabyul?”

 

“Uh.... sort of?” Yuri took a fleeting look at her girlfriend as she pauses in between her words.

I look over to the standing girl curiously, obtaining the same kind of dithering expression.

 

“Lets... Er... Settle down somewhere? Will we be disturbing your work?”

 

“No it won’t. Let me you girls to the cafe then...” I immediately accepted Jessica’s offer while wondering at their rather uncommon behaviours.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Observing the tongue-tied duo after putting down little plates of pastries, I decide to start the ball rolling to break the uncomfortable silence.

 

“Oh how’s the progress with Yuri so far?”

 

“She’s taking every session seriously these days, constantly taking in advices from the doctor. She even reminded me not to be late in picking her up for any checkups.”

 

“That shows I am obedient...”  The brunette gave a pout of gripe at her lover before intertwining their hands on the table.

 

“And she’s getting more childlike every day.....” Jessica pinched Yuri’s puffed up cheeks and slapped on the latter’s shoulder playfully.

 

Even though their intimate gestures never fail to cause goose bumps on my skin, I could not help but giggle at the couple before me. It is indeed amusing, when we tend to get irked by those little affectionate portrayal of love between others but does not feel guilty at all when it comes to us. Nonetheless, witnessing the love that they share often reminds me of the identical blissfulness I am currently enjoying.

 

“Well I am glad to know that Yuri is giving more attention not only to herself, but others as well.” I commented logically when I noticed how meticulously my patient wipes off the crumbs left on Jessica’s lips.

 

“Yeah... Because you always tell me how important are those who care for us like we’re their precious. Hence I should love them as much as I can...”

 

“Hahaha... Really? Did I?”

 

“Yes you did... You’ve taught me so many things... I’m really grateful...”

 

It has never crossed my mind that my words would have such an impact on someone else, not to mention, influential.  Each time I see Yuri getting a little impatient at her lack of strength during the physiotherapies, I would persistently remind her that she is not living a life for herself anymore, and hence, she should at least put in extra effort for those who are giving her the utmost support. I said what was logical, and maybe at times, throwing in words that are reflected from the bottom of my heart. Because I know how needy and effectual the power of encouragement is to each and every individual, especially for those whose confidence has been deflated by the malicious externalities.

 

Feeling undeserving enough to accept the unanticipated appreciation shown by the tanned girl, I hastily brush them off with the intent to lighten up the otherwise sombre conversation.

 

“Yah.... What’s with the sudden politeness... That’s so not Kwon Yuri....”

 

The two of them returned smiles of gaucheness before they elbowed each other and subtly pointing at me. I deduced that they might have something to divulge.

 

“Tiffany sshi... We will be leaving for Lithuania next week. Dr Han has recommended Yuri to receive some cell regeneration treatment there. Despite much consideration with regards to our financial abilities, Yuri is determined to cure her spinal cord. Hence, I am going with her to give all the support she needed.”

 

“Oh I see...” I can finally understand the sudden emotive words by the tanned girl and their unusual facial expressions. It was indeed too startling a piece of information to digest, but I am pleased with the fact that Yuri is being very optimistic in any relevant treatments for herself.         

 

“We will be away for about half a year, thus.... we’re here to bid you a proper farewell. Particularly the fact that you’ve helped me so much....”

 

“Silly... You guys will be back after the six months isn’t it? By then I would be able to see a sporty Yuri again!”

 

“And maybe little Yuri or little Sica as well?”

 

“YAH WHO SAYS THERE’S GONNA BE LITTLE YURI OR ME?!” I broke into huge laughing fit as the auburn hair girl attacked her lover with heavy punches.

 

It is certainly a pleasant experience knowing the two of them despite the short period of time spent together. In them, I witness the joy and contentment in having another soulmate to share all laughter and tears. Besides, Yuri needed neither comforting words nor philosophical advices from me, it is Jessica’s immeasurable love and support that has sustained the positivity she has gained over time. In addition, they have helped me redefine the definition of true love once more. It does not only involves being there when they needed us the most, it also includes giving the significant other each and every bit of us without weighing up or evaluating how much in return we would receive from them; Because we aren’t truly loving if we are refraining.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

While escorting them to the waiting area for cabs, I found myself being the target of their relentless teasing.

 

“Tiffany, let’s play the choosing game.”

 

“Uh Yuri.... Not again?” I gave a sigh of defeat as I kind of dislike the little activity that the brunette has created, as she would always deliberately contain options in regards to my lover.

 

“Oh c’mon.... This is the last time I promise.”

 

“All rights....” Jessica sent me some sniggers after I had to go along with the mini game of her girlfriend.

 

 “Work or love?”

 

A rather reasonably decent question by Yuri made me pause for a few good seconds before trying to contain my smile while giving her the final answer.

 

“Love.”

 

“Totoro or a pink bag?”

 

“Yah! You did it on purpose didn’t you?”

 

“This is just the appetiser.”

 

“Urgh.... Fine.... A pink bag........” I responded while silently apologising to my favourite cartoon character of all time.

 

“Taeyeon or Dennis Oh?”

 

I have already seen this coming, since it was not the first time I had to choose between someone else and my most adorable companion.

 

“Okays... Taeyeon!”

 

“Taeyeon or a pink car?”

 

“That’s not a good comparison... One is a person while the other is an object...”

 

“I don’t care....”

 

“Fine. Taeyeon.”

 

“A cute Taeyeon or y Taeyeon?”

 

“What’s that?!”

 

When I look to my left, Jessica is already holding onto her stomach, laughing uncontrollably at Yuri’s increasingly absurd questions while trying to keep a hand on the wheelchair.

 

“Yah! What’s with that question? Isn’t it still Taeyeon? My answer is Taeyeon and only Taeyeon.”

 

“But you didn’t specify the CUTE or Y....”

 

“Seobang just give her a break. Because I think she couldn’t choose from there....”

 

“YAH JESSICA!”

 

I covered my mouth in reflex after attaining many on-looking eyes with my loud voice.

 

The three of us continued our hearty laughter till we finally reach the point to say goodbye.

 

“Tiffany sshi, here is a gift from me and Yuri, wishing you smooth-sailing in both your career and love.”

 

Jessica passed me a wax-mould in the shape of two hands interlocked tightly together.

 

“We were cracking our brains about what to give you as a memento. But I think this is appropriate. Just in case you’re wondering, the hand wax was done by the both of us. We hope that you and Taeyeon sshi would continue to walk hand in hand for the rest of your lives.”

 

“Yeah... We have done almost everything we could in finding our own happiness, I hope it goes the same for the both of you as well.” Yuri added on while clasping her lover’s hand that was lying on her shoulder.

 

“Thanks. Bon voyage and take good care in Lithuania...”

 

“We will. Thanks for everything. Bye Tiffany...”

 

After waving my arms lightly, I carefully embrace the small mould in my arms as they made their way into the waiting cab. Jessica pulled out a long coat from her bag and placed it over Yuri’s shoulders before carrying her into the passenger’s seat in spite of her small frame. Looking as the yellow car slowly diminishes from my sight, I then shift my attention to the meaningful gift from them, observing the way their hands fitted with one another’s under the concoction of colours.

 

In the face of the arduous challenges ahead, Yuri and Jessica could only hang onto each other tighter as they brace the storm together. However, despite being under a miniature umbrella, their smiles shine in the gloomy downpour, because they believe that they would be able to see a beautiful rainbow after the rain.  

 

I am sure it is going to be same for us as well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tucking and folding my arms, I stood with closed legs alongside the curb of a road, occasionally lifting my hands to halt an approaching taxi. After several failed attempts, I begin to fluster as I fidget to work my stiff muscles which are almost numbed in the cold weather. It is indeed a breezy and chilly evening as I mentally blamed myself for not bringing my coat along to work.  

 

Taking another quick glance at my watch, my anxiety grew as I have made Taeyeon waited for more than half an hour. The strong gusty wind did not make things any better as guiltiness overwhelmed me upon the idea of having a worried girlfriend waiting in the blowy dusk.  

 

Just as I was about to reach for my phone to send one more message of apology, an instant warmth surrounds me as I found myself shrouded by a huge brown cloak and a pair of familiar small hands.

 

“Omo! Taetae...!” Relief replaces astonishment almost immediately when she began to brush and comb my messy hair.

 

Let’s go. She smiled and tightens her bind on my shoulders as she gestured with her thumb while pulling me closer to her underarm.

 

For a moment, I forgot the initial question in my head as I enjoy the unplanned moment of sharing the same coat and being securely cuddled in her arms.

 

 

Taeyeon rubs her hands in glee when the waitress cautiously serves her favourite spicy chicken in the middle of our table.

 

“Dak Bulgogi... Enjoy your meal...”

 

I smile and nod my head at the polite attendant before chuckling at the side of an animated Taeyeon.

 

She gentlemanly scoops some portion of meat onto my plate before digging some for herself.

 

“I would have preferred you to feed me instead...” I teasingly commented after seeing how much she has enjoyed the food before her.

 

Just like an obedient kid, she took another spoonful of bulgogi and slowly pushes them into my mouth.

 

“I wwaass juhss keeedding...” I left my jaw agape while trying to utter coherent words as the meat was slightly too hot to bite and swallow.

 

Taeyeon giggled helplessly with her cute dimples as she handed me pieces of serviettes.

 

“Anyways Taetae... Which day will you be free in the coming weeks? I have to arrange an appointment with Dr Kim, the hypnotherapist that I mentioned the other day, remember?”

 

Any day is fine. She flips her hand before giving an ‘ok’ sign.  

 

“Hmm... If that’s the case let’s make it next Monday? I will take a day off to go along with you.”

Taeyeon nodded her head attentively while shoving in mouthfuls of food. My eyes continue to linger on her contented expression as I went into silence for a moment or two, twirling the spoon in my hand.

 

      “Taetae....”

 

She lifted and tilted her head quizzically upon my utterance. I bit my lips further when she gave a gaze full of inquisitiveness.

 

“Uhm... Will you be worried or scared?”

 

About? She lifted her hands with her widened eyes and protruding bottom lip.

 

“The hypnotherapy...” It would be a lie if I say I wasn’t a least bit worried for my lover. After all, I do not want to make it sound mandatory and pile more pressure on her. She has already suffered enough all these years.

 

She shakes her head this time, but the sincerity in her answer is nothing less than the previous ones.

 

      “Really?”

 

Really. Her hand reaches for mine and gives it a squeeze, assuring me with her ever so charming smile and a faint nod.

 

I am only worried about the cost. She pointed to herself and placed a fist on the chest before rubbing the first two fingers together.  

 

“That’s not a problem Taetae... I have a good and stable salary now isn’t it?”

 

“In the worse case....... We might have to chew on white bread for the next few months....”

 

Another childlike grin was restored on her face after my light-hearted reply, as we continued our dinner with a bit more ease by taking turns to feed each other.

 

      Perhaps, this ephemeral happiness is just like a sunshine before the rain.

 

      If only we know how drastic emotions could change like the weather.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Our intertwined hands swing in momentum with each and every step we took, creating clicking sounds that echoed through the hostile-looking walkway. While keeping a lookout for the designated place we are supposed to be, my steps get increasingly heavier after gulping down puny amounts of saliva uselessly. I took a quick glance at my lover who is very much calmer than I thought she could be. After tugging me by the hand, Taeyeon pointed to the second last room of the corridor, with the golden door plate shining under the shaft of light from the glass windows.

 

Dr Kim Hyoyeon Ph.D C.C. Ht

 

“We are finally here.” A mutter escaped from my lips, which was rather intended as liberation of both uneasiness and anticipation which has been keeping my mind occupied for the past few days.

 

Making a half-body turn, I took another hand of Taeyeon’s before gripping them tightly as I get some last reminders I had for her off my chest.

 

“Just stay relaxed and focus. Dr Kim will guide you through the session smoothly. Moreover, I will be with you in there.”

 

“It will be daunting, but... I am sure... You will be able to do it Taetae.” Rubbing the back of her hands, I make an effort to give a smile of reassurance and promise unconvincingly.

 

On the contrary, her dilated pupils directing at my gradually murky ones showed much determination and sanguinity. After freeing one of her hands, she places it over my right cheek as the heat that permeated from it melts away those lingering trepidation.

 

How can it be that she is the one who is making things brighter instead?

Thus, before making our way into the room, I gave her a short but necessary peck on the lips to egg her on.

 

 

“Good afternoon ladies, please take a seat.” A bespectacled blonde hair woman greeted us graciously in a well-ambience room.    

 

“You guys could just address me as Hyoyeon. No need for formalities yea? Since I believe I am no older than you two by a year.”

 

“Yea sure... Oh by the way, this is Taeyeon.”

 

“Ah... Taeyeon... Don’t you agree that girls with ‘yeon’ in their names are rather pretty?”

 

The cute sniggering from my lover cause me to chuckle vigorously as well, after exchanging fleeting looks upon Dr Kim’s wittiness.

 

“By any chance, are you guys a couple?”

 

“Uh.....mm.....” I began to rub my neck to contain my bashfulness.

 

“Wells, it’s not really hard to see from the way you girls hold your hands. I call it the ‘couples-way-of-holding-hands.”

 

“But to be honest, you guys look rather mismatched.”

 

“Why?” I widened my eyes at the eloquent Dr Kim with a Taeyeon who is leaning her body forward edgily.

 

“The height.”

 

Our heads almost knock as we habitually gravitate towards each other when we laugh. Dr Kim has successfully made us more at ease with her bubbly character, which is rather important to cast off Taeyeon’s inhibitions.

 

“Alrights Taeyeon, could you now proceed to the couch over there? It’s the most comfortable longue you will ever get.” Dr Kim led us across the room to the red-leathered divan before turning on the audio system with some light classical music.

 

I release her hand bit by bit as she slowly settles down on the cosy longue while I took my place on the black sofa nearby.

 

“You haven’t sleep well for the past few days isn’t it? So I am gonna let you do that very soon. It is very simple, just follow my instructions.”

 

“Now close your eyes, everything is white, all plain and calm.”

 

My heart beats more regularly as well owing to the gentle melodies of piano in the background and Dr Kim’s soothing voice as she takes a cautious step at a time to get Taeyeon into the mood.

 

I examine the face of my lover carefully while occasionally looking at Dr Kim’s focused one. It makes me all warm and fuzzy to see the slightly curved up lips on Taeyeon as the muscles around her eyes are aligned neatly with her faint brows arching nicely above. However, I know that the sensation I am currently experiencing is not going to be long-lasting, for the reason that Dr Kim has yet to take Taeyeon into the main crux of the hypnotism.

 

“Now... I am going to take you into somewhere special, call the ‘elevator-of-the-past’... Press the button ‘nine’.” The woman in white blouse commanded after a series of image-creations in Taeyeon’s mind. It is indeed a fascinating experience to watch one of the most professional hypnotherapists performing her specialisation in front of me. I had undergone a few practical hypnotherapy sessions in my university days, but none of those are comparable to Dr Kim’s. She certainly has her own unique way in achieving the objectives she had planned for her patients.

 

“You’re now back as a nine-year old Taeyeon, living in a big house with a beautiful backyard...”

 

While the voice of an expertise Dr Kim drones on, I could not help but put my hands together in a tight grip as I recall Taeyeon’s tragic past. No one likes to recollect something nasty and unpleasant, especially when it involves someone who is close to us.

 

“It was a pleasant evening, your parents are back from their work. You waved at them as their car approaches. But a truck just has to spoil this wonderful moment....”

 

I could feel my brows pulling together when I witness the protruding knuckles of my lover’s on the armrest. She began to twitch and fidget in her seat.

 

“The truck forcefully crashed into the car, which was so badly damaged right after the huge impact. You know you could do nothing, even though you know that they are almost certainly, dead in the car......”

 

Our tears fall simultaneously, letting those droplets trickle down our cheeks like a bead of raindrop rolling down the fragile glass pane.

 

***

A couple of nurses pulled white sheets over the motionless body of my mother while the room was filled with a long drawn out sound of the heartbeat machine. I stood clueless in the corner of the room, only coming to my senses that I had lost her for good when the metal bed was slowly pushed out of the ward.

 

“Mummy.....!!!”

 

“Sweetie... Don’t... It’s no use...” I was overwhelmed by my father’s force as he pulled me into a tight hug, and that was the first time I felt his tears soaking my sleeves when he wept on my shoulders.

 

Letting out a long wail was the only thing I could do as a child who has lost the most important person in her formative years.

***

 

How could I not understand such a pain?

 

 

My lips tremble uncontrollably when I see more tears cascading down her porcelain face. She is definitely in agony, an agony that was supposed to be buried and kept. How can I help to dig a cavernous hole out from her heart again?  Especially a huge cavity that is hard to refill. I mentally reproach myself for the inevitable yet conceivable anguish that I had inflicted on the dearest person to me.

 

As Taeyeon sniffles harder with her clenched fist creasing the leathered-couch, it felt like a million arrows had pierced through my chest. My heart bleeds with every tear she sheds, as the emotions that she is undergoing has unequivocally replicate and amplify within me.

 

“Don’t do it anymore...!” Crying in plea, I made my way towards her before taking her hands to interlace with mine.

 

“Taeyeon ah...! Taeyeon... I’m here....” With one hand cupping her cheeks and the other shaking her shoulders frantically, Taeyeon came out of the hypnotised state as she look back into my eyes blankly.

 

“Tiffany sshi... You...”

 

Without a word, I pulled the tear-stricken figure in a protective embrace as I pay no attention to the other things around us.

 

All I need is a healthy, safe and cheerful Taeyeon, even if it means she stays quiet for the rest of her life.  

 

Through the darkness and good times
I knew I'd make it through
And the world thought I had it all
But I was waiting for you

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Emerging from the main exit of the building, I lifted my head as the sky rumbles in an unwelcoming manner, with the sun being gradually obscured by the thick grey clouds.

 

“Seems like it’s going to rain...” Looking to the side, I saw Taeyeon pressed her lips together as she witness the darkening sky. It did not take us long to start setting our eyes on the tiny bits of falling rain, spattering on the concrete ground and caressing the formerly heated earth gracefully.

 

Indolently, my lover starts to rummage her bag, seemingly looking for the umbrella as her expression remains fairly the same, one that mirrors the bleakness of the sky.

 

I very much want to put a smile that she ought to have, back on her petite face. But I was just like the helpless sun being bounded by the overpowering darkness around us. However, even in the hardest times, someone has to remain hopeful and strong to find a way to the end of the tunnel, back into optimism.

 

Desperate to brighten her up, an absurd idea came into my mind.   

 

“Taetae... We haven’t play in the rain before yea?” She stops what she was doing and looks back at me questioningly. Giving her no chance to figure out my intention, I took her hand and run into the rain.

 

Drizzles touch our skin tenderly as the cooling sensation rippled through my veins, a stark contrast to the balmy heat by her hand. The dipping drops of rain were neither too forceful nor dynamic. All was light and gentle, and the amount was just right, appropriate and adequate that is needed for a budding plant.   

 

Pulling her closer by the arm, I tried to spin her around like a ballerina in a musical box. She began to chuckle at her own awkwardness in balancing on the slippery ground before taking both of my hands as we swing each other in a merry-go-round.

 

Despite the increasingly blurred vision by the pouring rain, the attractive dimples were visible on her face once more as she smiles at the fun of a brand new experience. Enchanted, I begin to lead her in a dance as I cross one leg over another.

 

“Follow me.” I instructed or rather, shouted through the rain.

 

Our dance was not one of those professionals, as we merely focus on clutching onto each other to prevent us from slipping and falling in the rain. We ended up kicking puddles of water as we entirely drench ourselves in the opportune mizzle, laughing at our shabby looks caused by our dampened hair and wet faces.

 

“You know what Taetae?” This time, my voice was softer as I held her closer to me, rubbing circles on her shoulders soothingly.

 

“I think the rain is beautiful.” I commented truthfully at this somewhat preordained shower.

 

“It reminds me of a quote. It says, life isn’t about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.”

 

“Taeyeon ah... No matter if we are under the sun or rain, I will always be there for you.” I fondle her cheeks while giving a smile that measure up to the sincerity in my words.

 

I could see the redness in her eyes when I leaned a bit closer.

 

“And do you know... an advantage of being in the rain?”

 

She shifted her brows a little before shaking her head in reply.

 

“Being able to cry unreservedly without getting caught.”

 

“Taeyeon ah... You have been swallowing and holding back all the tears over the years, just let them all out today...” I had just contradicted with what I used to tell her since young.

 

I toss and turn in my bed as the sound of raindrops hitting hard on the window grilles prevented me from falling into a deep sleep. Swiftly getting off my bed, I went over to Taeyeon’s room to see if the windows are securely closed.

 

After sliding the windows shut, I heard faint muffling sounds coming from the smaller girl. Concerned, I walk over to her bed and was astonished to see her damped cheeks.

 

“Taetae... Why are you crying?” Her continued whimpering is the only response I got.

 

‘Daddy told me to take good care of Taetae...’ I silently thought to myself and with that, I leaped into her bed and hug her tightly.

 

“Don’t cry Taetae. Our tears are as precious as water.”

 

Young and immature, that was the only comforting words that I could provide for my friend. However, today, I believe it is the best time and opportunity for Taeyeon to release all her hidden emotions, because she deserves to cry, even if it pains me when she do so.

 

There are many things in life that we can do nothing about, but to embrace the hard facts with open arms. Above and beyond, obstacles and challenges in the road of life are unavoidable. It is in nature that storms and rains existed just as sunny days and snow. Instead of praying for the rain to eventually go away, why not immerse ourselves in the tranquillity derived from it, listening to nature speaking as they show us that there will always be someone who cares even in the darkest times.

 

We allowed the rain to convey our inner turbulence as we gaze into each other’s troubled eyes. Slowly but surely, Taeyeon lessens the gap between us as she pulls me by the neck, softly landing her quivering lips on mine. While the rain works its way in washing off all our worries, we kiss harder to pledge and assure our love, as the raindrops reenergise and strengthen us internally.

 

Still closing my eyes, I could feel our lips fusing firmer together accompanied by tiny droplets of rain and tears, as I could not differentiate the two entities anymore with the tang of saltiness lingering in our mouths. Her bind around my neck tightens and I could almost feel each and every ounce of sorrow in her kiss and tears.

 

Taeyeon ah, go on and cry, just let it all out.... just... let it rain.

 

  

Let the rain come down and wash away my tears
Let it fill my soul and drown my fears
Let it shatter the walls for a new sun