Resurgence

My Conveyor

 

Those truly linked don't need correspondence. When they meet again after many years apart, their friendship is as true as ever.

 

I could feel my heart bursting at its seams upon knowing Tiffany’s soon-to-be homecoming. I leaped onto my feet and did a little wacky dance before making a twirl and let myself fall to the soft cotton bed-linen, creating a faint depression on it with my heavy body. In contrast, my heart has never felt so light before.

 

Fluttering my eyes shut, images of Tiffany run through my mind like a rolling film once more. My heart used to wince a little each time I jog our memories, but this time, it was soaked in blissfulness as I let my little mind wander off on its own to seek those happy reminiscences of me and her.

 

 

***

I ran with all my might, trying to lengthen the distance between me and a pursuing Tiffany, occasionally taking a glance back to see the annoyed look plastered on her adorable face. I always have a soft spot for this particular girl, especially when I see those arched brows and puppy eyes. This time, she was showing it again coupled with a cute pout. I relented and deliberately reduce my speed to let her catch up and do whatever punishment that she had installed for me on her mind.

 

She finally drew near and pounced on me with her hands on my shoulders, shaking me hard at the same time as I continued to giggle, the only audible voice that I can produce.  

 

“Yah! Kim Taeyeon! I asked you to draw a picture of me! Not a mushroom!”

 

I laughed even harder when I look up and saw her attractive face which was topped with short brown locks that merely touches the crook of her neck. The contours of her hair certainly resemble a mushroom.

 

You look like a cute mushroom. I pointed to her before her hair with both of my hands as they glide down the sides of her head, ending it with a slight pinch on her puffed up cheeks.

 

Her brows were still scrunched in annoyance although I could see those pouty lips slowly curving upwards upon my little gesture.

 

I cut across the field to where we originally were and picked up the scrapbook that I randomly doodled on a moment earlier. I tore off the sketch and was about to crumple it before a hand appeared to snatch it away swiftly.

 

“What are you doing?!” Tiffany held the piece of drawing possessively in her arms as she threw me a baffled look.

 

Throw it away? I replied by drawing an imaginary arc with my arm and pointed to the rubbish chute in the distance.

 

“I never said that I didn’t like it. I always like what you draw.”

 

A moment ago she was chasing after me for drawing her as a mushroom and in the next minute, she took the sketch back to claim it as hers. This is Tiffany, the genuine Tiffany that I am in love with.

 

 

I caught sight of a familiar silhouette sitting on the wooden bench as I step out of the classroom. Tiffany would always pick me up from school regardless of sunny or rainy days. I sneak behind the bench and cheekily blow into her ears before receiving a huge slap on my arm.

 

“Taetae!”

 

Usually, she would flash her eyesmile and take my hand to walk me home. However, unlike the other typical days, her attention was quickly brought back to the small book in her hands, which made me slouch in disappointment as my presence was actually less significant than an inanimate object. I quietly took the seat beside her and place my head on her shoulder to peek at the content that she was absorbed in. It warms my heart inside when I realised that she was actually reading the guidebook for hand gestures.

 

Having felt an extra weight on her shoulder, Tiffany tilts her head to look at me as she closes the book.

 

“Sorry taetae, I’ve neglected you. Let’s go home!”

 

With hands intertwined, we made our way home along the streets as the sky slowly fades from its salmon colour.

 

Tiffany was exceptionally jumpy as she swings our interlaced hands and her graceful smiles were apparent under the orange sun rays.

 

“The art of hand gestures is really interesting! And I remembered the last time you came up with a ‘customised’ hand gesture to describe daddy!” She chuckled and began to do an imitation by placing her bended forefinger underneath her nose to do the ‘moustache look’ that I had taught her the other time. The two of us burst out in a series of laughter as our bodies swayed from side to side.

 

“What about me? What hand gesture can you think of to describe and represent me?” She gaze into my eyes after regaining her composure from the earlier hysterical laughing, eagerly anticipating for an answer with those dark rounded orbs.

 

Looking away, I tap my chin in contemplation and smirk when I saw the impatient look on her face from the corner of my eye.

 

“Yah! What’s with that smirk?! Don’t tell me you’re gonna do a mushroom pose?!” She sent a strong punch on my arm while I broke out in an uncontrollable laughter.

 

It is often entertaining to as she always gives the best reactions, regardless of my dorky antics. I always felt accomplished when I managed to put those angelic smiles on her face despite my imperfections as a person, since I could neither amuse her with witty jokes nor exclaim words of praises that were worthy enough for this wonderful girl in front of me.

 

“Hey! Is that really hard to think of a pose to describe me?!” Tiffany hook me by the neck as she attempts to threaten me with her not-so-intimidating gangster mode.

 

I stopped in my tracks and she follow suit. Facing her, I in a deep breath as I get myself ready to show her my tailor-made ‘Tiffany pose’.

 

I lift my right shoulder and tilt my head towards it as I place my cupped hands under my chin to mimic the petals of a flower, giving my best ‘crescent eyesmile’ at the same time. I was certain that I look like an idiot but I definitely do not mind looking like a fool in front of Tiffany.

 

The taller girl in front of me laughs noiselessly as she claps her hands in amusement.

 

“Aw…. Why are you so cute taetae?” She cupped my cheeks and pulled me closer as the distance between our faces is reduced to a mere centimetre. I held my breath upon the close proximity as my heart thumps wildly while looking into those hazel eyes. Her gaze was so intense that I could feel my knees go weak. However, it was only part of my wishful thinking when I assumed something was going to happen in that split second. My heartbeat regulated when she lightly pinched my cheeks before breaking away from that little staring competition.

 

She skipped off and I got out of my trance to follow behind as we continue our endless creation of hand gestures that we could call our own.

***

 

I wonder if she still remembers those hand signs that only belong to the two of us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two knocks on the door made me jerk up on the bed like a springboard as the door squeaked open, revealing the face of my benefactor, Tiffany’s father.

 

“Taeyeon ah, I am sure you knew that Tiffany is coming back tomorrow. I’ve actually bought new quilts and stuffs to redecorate her room. Could you help me out a little with them?”

 

I bob my head profusely as I made my way towards him and obtain the brand new bedcovers from his arms before hitting my chest in assurance,

 

Leave it to me.

 

I sauntered to Tiffany’s room before hearing the deep and rich baritone voice echoing behind,

 

“It’s been long since I saw that kinda smile on you, Taeyeon.”

 

Was I that obvious? I scratched my head and smiled at him sheepishly before proceeding to open up the linens.

 

“Get to bed after you’re done. Tiffany’s flight is scheduled to arrive at noon time. We have to make an hour’s drive to the airport. Therefore you should turn in early.”

 

I made an ‘ok’ sign to him and continue with the task after hearing the diminishing sound of shuffling footsteps.

 

Carefully, I spread the baby pink linen over the light beige teak wood, giving the dull room an additional fresh look. Despite not being occupied for an extensive period, I have been making an effort to keep the room dirt-free, because I know that the occupant would be back someday. Smiling unconsciously, I dusted the desk, cleaned the windows, making sure that there was no trace of a single crawling creature that she hates. Undertaking these chores did not seem to be an unpleasant task, because it feels blissful to be able to do something for a loved one.

 

Leaning against the window grilles, the night breeze gently caresses my cheeks as I fix my eyes at the sequin sky. After a long time, this would be my last night watching the stars alone. Under the same vast sky, I wonder if my friend on the other end of the sphere would be excited about our reunion tomorrow. I turn to look at our framed photograph sitting resolutely on my bedside table, simultaneously walking over to my sleeping spot and tuck myself under the quilts.

 

See you tomorrow Tiffany, my love.

 

The image of her eyesmile remained till I fell deep into my dreamland.

 

 

Just smile for me and let the day begin.

 You are the sunlight that lights my heart within

 And I'm sure that you're an angel in disguise

 Come take my hand and together we will ride

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fiddling with my fingers, I look at the needles on the watch tick by as my heart pounces in multiples with each passing second. I have been feeling jittery since the morning and the lessening distance away from the airport is not helping at all. Perplexing emotions surge over me and I could not resist letting out a long sigh as I peer through the windowpane to look at the moving trees along the road.

 

Will there be awkwardness with our meeting later? Will we be able to reconnect and regain the same feelings we used to have? I mentally asked myself those meaningless questions as I gaze up at those chunky white clouds that seem to stay stagnant no matter how fast the car was going.

 

No matter how much time has passed and things have changed, our friendship will be unaffected, I hope.

 

On the Wings Of Love

 Up and above the clouds the only way to fly

 Is on the Wings of Love

 On the Wings of Love only the two of us, together flyin' high

 Flyin' high upon the Wings of Love

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stretching my neck to its limit, my eyes made a search through the thriving mass of anonymous figures at the departure hall. My heart would skip a beat whenever I saw a could-be-Tiffany. I tucked my hands into my jeans and squeezed the denim fabrics to relieve my anxiety. As I carefully scrutinise the crowd, I caught sight of an average height woman walking confidently in my direction, wearing a black wayfarer, showing only her big sharp nose and perfectly shaped lips, coupled with her milky fair skin. She definitely glow among the crowd and drew my attention despite being metres away. Those features justifiably belonged to Tiffany as I raised my hopes to make certainty that it is going to be her.

 

She stopped in her tracks after meeting my stare and she slowly removes the black glasses that were hiding her angelic eyes earlier. Tiffany. My heart cheered silently in jubilation and I swear it could jump out of my throat any moment when I saw that familiar angelic eyesmile of the latter’s once more.

 

You look at me and I begin to melt,

 Just like the snow when a ray of sun is felt

 And I'm crazy 'bout you baby can't you see

 I'd be so delighted if you would come with me,

 

 

She lifted one of her hands and bend her first two fingers twice, doing the moving ‘bunny ears’ pose, the pose that she affectionately created way back when we were younger, just for me.

 

She remembers it.

 

I was lost in her eyes as we caught ourselves in a zoned-out world of our own, the atmosphere between us seems to freeze while the moving commuters continue to bustle.

 

Everything was in slow motion just like the movies as she ran towards me and enveloped me in a tight warm hug.

 

“Taetae…..” Her mellow and husky voice chimed in my ears. I really missed it. I close my eyes and gradually lift my right arm to return the hug, submerging in the warmth emitted by our bodies, taking in the strawberry scent given off by her hair as light brown tussles tickled my cheeks.

 

Everything. Every little thing between us has fallen back into its place.

 

Tiffany broke the hug first before cupping my cheeks and made my heart thump hard with those smiling eyes.

 

“I missed you so much taetae…” I looked into her dilated pupils before scanning her whole face to take a good look of her. Apart from the heavier makeup that enhanced those already flawless features of hers, her cheeks has sunken a little, indicating a lost of weight and fatigue, perhaps even hinting some form of hardships endured during those four years alone in another unfamiliar country. Despite the changes that were much apparent, those tender eyes that I used to seek comfort in, remained.

 

I missed you more than you know.

 

“Buddy over daddy. I certainly did a good job in raising this daughter of mine.” A sarcastic manly voice interrupted our little world, displaying a sense of jealously, which he rightly has.

 

“Aw daddy, I missed you loads too!” Tiffany went over to give the middle aged man a loving hug as well.

 

“Alright. Let’s get going. I’m sure you’re feeling the jet-lag from the flight. You can sleep on the long journey home.” Tiffany’s dad commented after breaking away from the hug.

 

The three of us made our way to the car park with several big pink luggages stacking up on the push-trolley. I was sure that she left Korea with a big one and felt amused with the little addition of a few more luggages. I chuckled silently to myself and was caught in the act by Tiffany.

 

“What are you laughing taetae? And Sooyoung was right to say that you didn’t grow at all.” My taller friend shot me a teasing smile before hooking onto my right arm.

 

That’s because you’re wearing heels. I rebutted by pointing at those killer heels that gave the girl an extra edge in height over me.

 

“Whatever. Anyways, your height gives you this adorable trait and I like it.” She unhooked our linked arms to place her left one around my shoulders. The earlier pout on my face was soon replaced with a small grin.

 

It was not as difficult as I thought it would be, to recover where our friendship had left off. I presumed that it was my excessive apprehension. After all, with Tiffany back for good, we have the time to build on our sturdy relationship. Maybe, the only difference was that I wanted to change the way I define our relationship. From friendship to love.

 

It is going to be possible? I wonder at the likelihood of my absurd thoughts as I look at the cheerful friend beside me, who is oblivious of my internal struggles that were suppressed deep under my heart.

 

 

Fully absorbed in making the kimchi stew on the kitchen counter, I was unaware of Tiffany’s presence until I smell the aroma of strawberry milk emitting from as she purposefully stretched her lips in a north-south direction.

 

Both of us giggled at her dorky antic as my eyes followed her till she plopped down at the dining area.

 

“Aw… I seriously missed Korean food, especially your cooking.” Tiffany commented after taking another sip of the beverage in her hands.

 

“Taeyeon suggested cooking for you personally as she knew you would probably miss home-cooked dishes while you were in the States. She went to buy those ingredients early in the morning. See how well she treats you. Go and give her a hand instead of idling around the kitchen you lazy bum!”

 

Tiffany immediately hopped to my side upon her father’s instructions. It is always entertaining to see how Mr Hwang belts out cynical remarks at his own daughter. But I supposed that was just his unique way in showing love for his precious daughter.

 

The preparation time prolonged with the presence of Tiffany’s not-so-helping hand as we ended up playing with the ingredients before being pressurised by a famished person in the living room.

 

 

 

After much procrastination, we finally lay the dishes on the round table as the three of us take our places.

 

I worriedly looked on as Tiffany took a sip of the kimchi stew that was supposedly to be prepared by myself. A sense of relief rushed over me after seeing the satisfied look on her face before reaching to scoop a spoonful for myself. It delights me to see Tiffany enjoying her food as I feel the responsibility to feed her more since I did not have the chance to do so for the past four years.

 

“I have a piece of good news to share.” Tiffany announced while her cheeks were stuffed with food.

 

She carefully swallowed whatever was in before verbalising further,

 

“I graduated with first class honours!” Her loud voice ricocheted off the four walls before being accompanied by the clapping sounds produced by my moving hands. I applauded earnestly to congratulate on her remarkable achievement.

 

“Good for you and good for me. At least I didn’t waste that pile of money into the sea.”

 

“Taetae, I am awesome right? Shouldn’t you give me some kind of reward?” Tiffany turned to me as she ignored the sarcasm from her dad.

 

I scooped a big portion of stew into her bowl in response to her childlike request.

 

“Taeyeon treats me the best!” Tiffany refuted back at her dad while complimenting me at the same time.

 

I will only treat you well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany continued her routine of coming to my room for some ‘bedtime stories’, or more appropriately, I termed it as “Tiffany’s sharing session” since she is the main speaker while I do my part as a listener. For the reason that we were physically apart for four years, Tiffany rattled on about her life in the States despite the fact that I do know some of it when we conversed through the net. There is something distinctive about this friend of mine, she only talks about happy things and keep mum about those hardships that she has been through.  At times, I wished that I could verbalise my sorrows but on the contrary, she accumulates them despite her bubbly and loquacious side. Consequently, I suppose some things are better to be left unsaid.

 

“Taeyeon ah, how has your life been over the past four years?” Tiffany looks up from the floor, expectant of my reply. I wavered. Besides the fact that I could not summarise how much I have been through with just simple gestures, I could not be telling her that my life has been very much affected by her absence.

 

It’s been good. I nodded with a smile and gave her a thumbs sign.

 

“Liar. Your micro-expression gave it all away. Your shifty eyes said the otherwise.”

 

Well. I should have known better than to keep things from Tiffany. Especially a Tiffany who had just obtained her first class honours in Psychology.

 

“Taeyeon ah… I am now back and I will not leave you again for good. I will help you regain your voice and I am sure our lives will be much better from now on.” Tiffany stood up and walked over to my bed to my hair and place my head against her chest as I could feel her chin lying on top of my head comfortably.

 

Assurance. This is the kind of assurance that I have sorely missed all this while.

 

“Alright taetae, I am going back to my room. My eyelids are heavy. Have a good rest too.” As Tiffany was about to break away from the earlier embrace, I held on to her hand and look into her eyes earnestly,

 

Stay with me.

 

“Okays, let’s sleep together. I hope the bed doesn’t crumble upon our additional weight over the years.” She giggled as we make ourselves comfortable in the constricted space.

 

Hearing the light snoring produced by the figure beside me, I flutter my eyes shut in contentment.

 

Yes you belong to me

 I'm yours exclusively

 Right now we live and breathe together,

 Inseparable it seems

 We're flowing like a stream, running free travelling on the Wings of Love

 

=========================================

 

since i've completed this fic i might just update it as frequent as i can ^^

i hope u guys have been liking the story so far....

and just a warning that the chapters get heavier n lengthier as it proceeds =P