Ch 9

When Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wasn’t scared to walk into school the next morning, I was actually looking for Yixing and that tall brat. They weren’t in the halls or in the lunch harbor so I decided to sit in my class and wait patiently. I sit in my seat and pull out a small bag of chips from my pocket. I left my bag at the restaurant yesterday, all my notes inside. So I didn’t get any studying done but I got my bed made finally, It wasn’t worth it, I could’ve just slept on the mattress sitting on the floor. But now my hands are covered in bandages and splinters.

 

The bell rings and I watch students file in, Yixing among then, Sehun following close behind. Yixing hands me my bag with a smile sitting at my side, Sehun sits in front of me but turns around to face me with his twisted grin.

 

“Who is it?” Yixing asks softly as the teacher walks in.

 

“Who is who?” I ask and shuffle through my bag to make sure everything was there, including my ear buds.

 

“Your love interest.” Sehun says and pulls out a notebook.

 

“Apparently no one good so keep your mind out of it” I snap and hide my chips in my bag on my desk as the teacher walks in.

 

I lean away, looking out the window and crossing my arms. Did Kris have and falling out with Minseok? Why should that affect me though? The light rain outside hardens and the wind pushes the windows. I wonder if i can convince Dae and Kris to come down from Christmas and visit me. I would even be willing to build a few more beds for guest beds. I could buy their tickets, or my mother could.

 

I pull out my notebook and flip to a new page, kick Sehun's desk and hold my hand out, with a groan he hands me a pen and goes back to notetaking. If i want to ask for Kris and Dae to come down I need to keep my grades up so i seem responsible enough for a small break like that.

 

I have to eat with my mother tonight so if I remember to bring it up I will be sure to straighten up. My mind wanders, i’m too distracted to listen. I take notes absently but my mind is playing a movie, a movie where Kris comes and doesn’t leave. But this isn’t Kris, he acts weird. What if Kris is hiding something from me? But for so long? I’m sure it isn’t anything to be scared of.

 

 

The day goes by a lot longer than how I thought I would. By the time I leave the school gates I am hungry and a little ticked off that my friends wouldn’t leave me alone about who I talk to at night. I spot our familiar black car and hop inside, my mother is sitting pretty in the front seats. With a long inhale I quickly fix my attitude and wave goodbye to Yixing and Sehun, who wish me luck from behind. I get in the car and prepare myself for a tension I’ll quickly regret.

 

 

“How are your grades?” She finally asks half way into dinner.

 

“All A’s. Mother, I was interested in getting a GED, it would be quicker and I could apply for college the next upcoming term.”

 

She laughs, throwing her head back and letting her fork slip from between her frail fingers. She p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter