Ch 8

When Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Its was raining when we three got out of school and headed straight for a restaurant suggested by Minseok.  They weren’t picking us up for something so close, and Sehun didn’t text them, he told me he forgot. Yixing walks quietly in the bike lane next to us so all of us can walk together, he thinks he is being smart by “protecting” us but if he almost walked into a parked car by not paying attention. Needless to say, when we walked into the restaurant soaked wet and laughing at lay like lunatics we got quite a lot of strange looks.

 

Sehun found the other two instantly and led us past the confused waiters and customers, he slid in first followed by and and Yixing. While the others were hugging and greeting each others I sat quietly and looked at the food set on the table.

 

“We weren’t sure what everyone would want so we just got a hot pot and some sides.”

 

I look to Luhan, the teacher was sitting up straight and rolling up his sleeves. His brown hair was combed politely to the side, and his eyes watered with hunger. Minseok looked more casual. His hair was messy and his chest rose calmly under the white hoodie.

 

“It’s food, I don’t care what it is as long as it’s in my mouth.” I say and grab the serving tongs.

 

After I get my food in my bowl and hand the tongs off My phone buzzes in my pocket. I excuse myself and tell them not to keep up on the food. Walking outside the restaurant as quickly as I can I answer the call but don’t speak until I’m sitting outside on the curb.

 

“Hello?” I answer and look across the street at a couple hugging in the cold night air at a bus stop, my heart sinks in envy.

 

“Were you eating out? I can call later.”

 

“No, Kris don’t. I miss you.”

 

He laughs on the other end and I smile, imagining the huge dorky grin spread wide on his face and the way his eyes disappear with the little chuckles.

 

“How was school? No one hurt you today right?”

 

“Unlike Korea I am known in China for being the rich kid thanks to my mom, no one even tries to look at me.” I say proudly.

 

“If someone touches you I swear I will find them and make sure they never even look at you. You have to tell me if bad things start happening again, okay?”

 

I nod, before realizing that he can’t see me, “Yeah. Hey Kris?”

 

“Mm?”

 

“Tell Baek I said hi. I’m gonna eat dinner and go shower.”

 

I know what else I want to say. But the gripping feeling in the pit of my stomach stops me from even uttering the words. My stomach twists as I watch the couple get on a bus with linked hands. Jealousy pours out of me like a split carton of milk.

 

“Okay, I love you.”

 

“I love you too.” I beam.

 

I don’t push the end button, I don’t say goodbye either. Because I don’t want to say those words unless I mean it, and that’s something I hope will never happen. I stand from the curb with a sigh and get myself in the mindset of being happy, you wouldn’t want to ruin dinner for everyone else. If you can make it through dinner you can make it home and mope around as much as you want. I turn around and was about to walk inside but stopped dead in my tracks to find Minseok standing at the door.

 

“I came to check on you.” he states simply.

 

I nod and smile, walking back inside but stopped at the door by a hand gripping the hem of my school uniform. I follow the hand up to face Minseok.

 

“I wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter