Ch 7

When Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I step into the main airport waiting area and find a laminated card with my name printed on it. I nod hello to the suited man holding up the sign and he bows while holding my suitcase full of clothes.

 

“ZiTao, your mother requested I take you to your flat upon arrival. I hope that won't be an issue, she is having meetings all day with government officials.”

 

“That isn't a problem, thanks.”

 

He leads me to a car and loads my luggage in the back. He offers to take my backpack but I hold on to it and sit in the back. I take out my phone and text Kris, Baek and Dae that I have landed safely and I will be home shortly. The suit in the front seat is busy driving on large freeways, small cars and large cargo trucks pass by our short limo. I won’t say I’m not nervous but I definitely don’t feel right. I know my mind is racking up all the thoughts of what will happen when I meet with my mother, but aside from that i have another feeling. Like things will change but not for the better, and not how I expect them to.

 

The streets are busy in downtown, it’s almost impossible to drive through. People crowd almost every corner and square of the streets and back ways. Markets are busy in the middle of the day on a weekend, shops are being filled and then some, kids are yelling or running wild and street venders are sweating over their hard work that seems to never end. Clubs busy and music pounding from every direction.It’s busy and distracting, that’s why I chose to stay here, because it’s so full I’ll never feel empty and there will always be something.

 

I make it inside my condo and looked around at all the boxes packed and laying on the floor, a few canvas’ laying against the wall as well. For a condo this is really fancy, I understand I let my mother make the decision of where I live but I didn’t want something over the top. I toss my suitcase on the ground next to a stack of boxes close to me and walk to the kitchen, fresh food and dishes set up for me, wifi in the corner with a sticky note that holds the passcode. Korea is one hour ahead of China time wise so Kris would be eating dinner. I open up my skye, no new messages or missed calls. With a sigh I move on to opening the boxes covering my floors.

 

The first box has been filled only a little with school supplies and a winter school uniform. It was a waste of box if that is as much as she filled it. The next box was filled to the top with ants, the next box the same with shirt, another with hoodies and underwear. A box was filled with books and magazines. The next few boxes were full of wood so I could build my bed and dresser. A tv sat in the corner next to a mattress. I wasn’t in the mood to build anything, so I came to decide that I would just sleep on the ground tonight. I grabbed an orange and sat on the floor, listened to the sounds below me and outside as i peeled the skin away. I jumped when my phone rang, it was a skype call. I open the app and it connects rather quickly.

 

“Kris..”

 

He smiles at me through the screen and waves.

 

“How are you? Have you eaten?”

 

I hold up my orange and shrug, I’m exhausted mentally and i feel physically drained, but that doesn’t mean my body wants to rest. Kris is laying down on his bed in his big room, his cool colored lights are read and purple, casting cooling colors over his face. I smile and go to shuffle through my bag for a charger, my boyfriend gladly waits patiently.

 

“How is China?” he asks.

 

“Loud, but it helps. You know, You’re dating a crazy man.”

 

Kris nods and smiles sweetly, “That’s the best part, nothing is ever boering with you becuase you are always going and figuring new things out.”

 

I look down at my lap with a sheepish grin, my ring glistens under the street light pouring in from outside creating a colorful cast along my condo. I prop my phone up on my suitcase and drag the box holding my soon to be dresser over and begin taking things out of the box. If I can't have a bed to sleep on I at least want a place to store my clothes.

 

“Is my Tao doing something manly?” Kris gaped.

 

“Oh shut

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter