Ch 14

When Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Upon seeing my mother my smile falls flat and my stomache flips around in my body like a circus act; I'm almost certain the boys behind me are making the same confused expression however there is something unnerving about the look in my mothers eyes as she glues her eyes to me. The air feels tense and stuffy, it's so silent a pin could be heard if it fell. 

I place my backpack, lightly as not to stir the silence, next to my coffee machine on a nearby counter top. I try to strip of my shoes next to the door without peeling my socks off, and quietly I make my way to a wall accross from the room my mother is in, her goons in suits stand as straight and strong as a bull in front of my window. Of course my condo is really open with little wall to hide behind so hiding isn't really an opion; and i dont want to leave Kris and Dae to deal with her, especially not Kris. 

However Kris is still here, standing quietly next to Dae at the front door. What will my mother say, what will she do? Will she pay him a bunch of money to stay from me like in the movies? I occasionally glance to the two while looking between my mother and her goons in anxiety inducing silence. Dae turns on the light and nothing but moresilence follows for a few more seconds, until I speak up. 

"Mother. You are in my home. How did you get a key?"I inquire while soothing my shirt down. 

"You've been gone all day." she states while glossing over my question, "I assume you had a nice flight Jongdae."

"Yes ma'am" he answers.

I shift under my mother uncomfortable stare, more silence follows our short conversation and looms over us. I can't tell if she is waiting for me to speak up again or if she is trying to interagate me with her eyes, it feels like she is digging out the information she wants while staring us down; it's unsetttling. 

"Tao, woudl you mind if I spoke to Kris for a moment?" she asks slowly like a snake.

Reluctantly I nod, I can't verbally contradict my mother but every blood cell in my body is telling me it's a bad idea to leave Kris alone with my mother. She stands up slowly, I scoot back to give her room to leave with Kris and accidently bump into her men, who follow her out. I watch my front door slam shut, giving it's little ring that it has shut all the way and relocked. My hands feel clamy, my stomache ties knots. Jongdae takes off his shoes and comes to stand with me in my now empty floral smelling home thanks to my mothers strong perfume. 

"Let's not just stand here and let anticipation kill us. Wanna play a game or something?" he asks while walking over to my cabnits in search of an entertainment source. 

"Do you want something to drink?" I step closer to my kitchen only to be startled by a loud noise outside my door. 

Was that my neighbors? Or the condo below? I soon realize it was in my hall , just outside my door, as I hear bellowing voices and muffled arguements. Should I open my door? What if that makes the situation worse? I don't want to get caught in the middle but I don't want to leave Kris alone to feel my mothers wrath. I hurry over to look into the peep hole, the sight is something i never would have imagined seeing outside of Hollywood productions. 

Kris is being held back by two suits accumpaning my mother, a has appeared, now backing away from Kris as my mother steps closer. Her lips are moving but her voice is so quiet I can't make anything out. Kris' face is scrunched up, he is talking too but in a more aggresive tone as he shakes his shoulders to break free. My mother brings her hand to Kris' face back-handing him accross the cheek. She moves to hold his face in one of her hands, speaking once more before turning away to leave. The goons drop Kris and follow my mother, their steps heavy in comparison to my mother light stride in her heels. I open my door and crouch next to me boyfriend, I don't get a good look at him before my mothers voice echos off the hall walls, catching my attention. 

"It was nice visiting, ZiTao." she says just before dissapearing behind a corner. 

I try to help Kris get upbut he shakes off my arm and uses the wall to get up instead. I try to look not too hurt emotionally and step back and out of hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter