Ch 2.0 Meeting the Gang

Every King Needs A Queen

 

“So what are the others like?” Zelo glanced over at me keeping one of his hands on top of the black steering wheel.

“Why don’t you wait to find out?”

“What? I can’t even mentally prepare myself?”, I asked, crossing my arms.

“Don’t you love surprises?”, he said giving me a cheeky grin.

“You worried that I might fall for one of your friends?”

“Nah. None of them are as handsome as me.”

“They must look like trolls then.” He let out a surprised laugh. He has a nice laugh. I almost smiled but caught myself.

“Well you can see for yourself. We’re here.” We had pulled into the parking lot of a club. The name of the club, Mato, was lit up in neon green. Zelo parked the dark blue vehicle. There was a massive line in front of the club, but Zelo went straight up to the bouncer. They nodded at each other and he let us through. The interior of the club was very trendy. The dance floor, counters and tables were all lit by LED lights. The inside was a sea of bodies. People kept bumping into me. I could barely see Zelo in front of me. I was trying to figure out how to sidestep a couple that was grinding on each other when I felt a hand grab my wrist. I looked up to see Zelo.

“Can’t lose the princess now. Try to keep up.” I opened my mouth to fire a comeback, but he was already leading me through the crowd. He kept a gentle yet firm grip on my wrist. We finally made it to the other side of the club to a hallway. I pulled my wrist out of his grip.

“Thanks for the help. But I’ll be fine for this part I’m sure.”

“Sure. Whatever you say.” He walked down to a door at  the end of the hallway.

Inside the room there were five guys. There was a guy in a leather jacket playing cards with a guy with hand tattoos. At the bar, there was a guy in a teddy bear sweater drinking a glass of whisky. There were two fashionably dressed guys playing darts.

“Hey guys.” They all turned towards us.

“Everyone, this is Lao Pei Jun. Lao Pei Jun, everyone.

“You guys can just call me Jenny.” I said glaring at Zelo.

“I’ll introduce you to everyone individually.” We walked up to the bar first.

“This is Yongguk.”

“Chyeah. Nice to meet you.”, said Yongguk.

“Same here. I like your sweater.” He gave me a gummy smile.

“Thanks. It’s my favorite.” We moved on to the pair playing cards.

“This is Himchan. He owns this club.”, said Zelo gesturing to the guy in the leather jacket.

“Hey. Nice club. Don’t know about this hand though.” I said peeking at his cards.

“Hey! Don’t expose me like that!”, he protested.

“Don’t worry. His isn’t much better.”, I said looking at the blue haired guy’s hand.

“Hmm. The game’s not over yet. No telling what will happen.”, said the blue haired guy with a little laugh.

“This is Jongup. He’s the newest member of the team.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you guys.”

“No need to lie.”, said Jongup.

“Was it that obvious?” I was taken aback but I tried to hide it with a grin. Himchan laughed. Jongup just smirked in reply. We moved onto the duo playing darts.

“Sorry about that. Sometimes he says whatever’s on his mind.”, said Zelo looking a little apologetic.

“I like the honesty. It’s fine.” I said with a shrug.

“Oh so this is the fiancee?”, said the guy with bigger lips.

“I think you mean Jenny.”, I replied. The other guy laughed.

“She’s got fire in her. I’m Youngjae by the way.”

“And I’m Daehyun. Don’t take what I said too personally. I just never thought our maknae would be the first to get hitched.”

“Oh yeah? Who were you banking on?”, I raised my eyebrow.

“Honestly? Me. But Sunmi will be glad there’s another girl to talk to now.” Another girl? Interesting.

“Is she here?”

“She had other plans tonight. You can meet her next time.”

“You want to play darts with us?”, asked Youngjae.

“Sure. Why not?” He handed me a dart. I took aim and ended up hitting the edge of the board.

“Here. Let me show you how to do it.” Youngjae came up behind me and guided my fingers into the correct position.

“So you grip it like this and aim.” He leaned closer to my ear and I could feel his breath tickling my ear. I could feel heat rising to my face.

“You should see the look on Zelo’s face. He’s ready to fight me. Play along.” I peeked a glance at Zelo. His face looked carefully blank but his eyes looked like cold flame. I faked a giggle like Youngjae just said something really charming. Teasing Zelo? Why would I ever refuse?

“Hyung, I think it’s time for poker.”, Zelo said loudly.

“I have time to help Jenny with this one dart.”, said Youngjae.

“Everyone’s waiting.”

“Ok I’ll be fast.”

“So you take aim and let it fly.” The dart almost hit the bulls-eye.

“See? You did great.”

“It’s cuz of my great teacher.” He winked in response while he walked with a scowling Zelo and an amused looking Daehyun to the poker table. I turned back to the dart board.