Ch 14.3 Fireworks: Sunny and Youngjae

Every King Needs A Queen

“You know these games are probably rigged right?”, said Youngjae. Sunny looked over at him.

“Yeah but you never know. Maybe the impossible might happen. It’s fun to believe in miracles.”

“I didn’t expect you to be so…”

“What? Didn’t expect a hacker to be so whimsical?”

“Yeah kind of.”, he admitted.

“Well if you haven’t noticed I’m a bit different from other hackers.” Youngjae was about to reply when they heard a voice.

“I said no!”, came a young girl’s voice. Sunny, Youngjae and other people turned their heads towards the commotion. A young girl was trying to get away from this guy who was obviously drunk.

“Come on. It’ll be a good time.”, he said leering at her. Sunny was filled with disgust at the drunken man. Why wasn’t anyone stepping in? If no one would tell the guy to piss off, she would. She walked up to the two.

“Hey! Leave her alone! She’s clearly not interested.” The man turned his attention to her. The girl looked both relieved and a little uneasy.

“Oh you wanna to join me instead?”, he asked.

“No thanks. Why don’t you just go home and stop harassing girls?”

“Aww come on. Don’t be like that.”, he said grabbing Sunny’s arm. Sunny immediately flipped the man over her shoulder.

“No means no.”

“Hey! What’s going on there?”.  . Apparently, someone had called the police. Sunny grabbed Youngjae’s hand and started running.

“Hey, why are you running?”

“I’m supposed to be keeping a low profile. I’ll never hear the end of it from my dad if I get taken to the police station. But isn’t this more fun and exciting anyway?”, she said smiling at him. Youngjae felt his breath catch in his throat.

They kept running until they reached a bench in a secluded area surrounded by trees. The festival wasn’t too far, though. They could still faintly hear the chatter of people and see the lights in the distance if they really concentrated.

“I think... this is ...far enough.”, panted Sunny.

“Good. I’m not sure if I could keep running.”

“Let’s take a break and then meet with the others.”

“Good idea.” They sat next to each other on the bench, trying to catch their breath.

“Sorry for dragging you along. I just instinctively grabbed you.”

“No problem. I think I would rather be with you here than at the festival playing those rigged games anyway.” Sunny couldn’t help the butterflies in her stomach. At that moment, fireworks bloomed in the sky. Youngjae and Sunny looked at each other.

“Well we’re here now. Let’s enjoy the fireworks and meet up with the others later.”, suggested Youngjae.

“Ok. I’ll text Jenny. And we can play a game or two on the way back.”

“Whatever you say.” They settled in to watch the fireworks. Sunny’s head rested on Youngjae’s shoulder. It just felt right. Youngjae didn’t know much about miracles, but he was willing to let Sunny be his miracle.