Ch 15.5 The Proposal

Every King Needs A Queen

It was a little after noon when Sunmi woke up to see Daehyun looking down at her with a tender expression. Even after all this time, her heart still jumped a little. One of her favorite things was him being the first thing she sees when she wakes up.

“Good morning, my Sun.”, he said as he leaned down to give her a kiss despite the fact they both had morning breath. She used to be self-conscious about it but now neither of them really cared.

“Good morning to you, too.”, she said when they finally broke apart. Daehyun smiled.

“So I found a new recipe that I wanted to try out for lunch. Do you want to make it together?”, he asked.

“Sure. After I shower though.”

“Can I join you?”, he asked.

“If you want to.” Sunmi replied with a wink.

 

Later they were both in the kitchen surrounded by ingredients.

“What are we making again?”

“It’s called Engagement Chicken. I think it’s because it’s meant for at least two people or like a family. It’s an American dish I think.”

“Americans are kind of strange, aren’t they?”, Sunmi mused.

“I’m going to start prepping the chicken. Can you prepare the lemons?”, Daehyun asked.

“Sure thing.” It didn’t take long for her to finish, but Daehyun was still prepping the chicken.

“Can I see the recipe?”

“Yeah, sure it’s on the counter over there.” It was on the counter behind Daehyun. Sunmi looked at the instructions and they seemed simple enough. She heard Daehyun washing his hands behind her, getting ready to put the chicken in the oven. She turned the recipe over and saw there were more directions but they were kind of weird.

 

“After putting the chicken in the oven, please read this background info on the dish. It was developed by Kim Bonnell, a fashion editor at Glamor Magazine following a trip to Italy. She gave the recipe to co-worker Kathy Suder to prepare for her boyfriend and soon afterwards, the couple was engaged. The recipe made the rounds in the office and three other women in the office were offered marriage proposals soon after making the dish for their boyfriends. After the editor-in-chief Cindi Leive heard that wedding proposals followed making the recipe, she dubbed the recipe "Engagement Chicken" and ran the recipe in the magazine. The magazine began receiving letters from women claiming that their boyfriends proposed shortly after being served the dish. The magazine claims 70 couples have married after the women served their boyfriends the dish. After almost three years of dating Jung Daehyun thought it was time to tell the most special and important woman in his life how he truly feels about her. For the longest time, he was so sure that the idea of a family was a luxury he couldn’t afford as a member of B.A.P. He got five brothers out of it so he thought it was fair enough, but that didn’t stop him from wanting it just the same. But two years, eleven months, one week and two days ago he met a beautiful, brave, witty woman from Busan at a veterinary clinic. He tried flirting with her like he usually did with other women but she never fell for it. Instead, she talked to him like a real person and saw the real Jung Daehyun. He came up with different reasons to come to the clinic to see her and talk to her. Soon he realized that he was in love with her, but this also made him sad. How could he ask to be with her when he lived such a dangerous life? Then one fateful night after being fatally injured he didn’t know where else to go. He went to the clinic looking for help. He knew that there was a fair chance that no one would be there. But luckily, she was there and saved his life. Even though he was in so much pain, he was amazed by how brave and calmly she reacted. She was so kind and caring. She let him stay at her place and took care of him. Imagine his surprise when she told him that she loved him. At first he couldn’t believe that it was real and then he was scared at what might happen to her. But he gave her the chance to make the choice for herself, daring to hope she might want to be with him anyway. When she accepted the danger, he vowed to himself he would love and protect her for as long as she would have him. Now a life without her would be like life without the sun. His Sun. So Kim Sunmi please turn around.”

Sunmi turned around and saw Daehyun kneeling on one knee with a simple diamond ring.

“I can’t live without you. Please would you marry me?”

She had already started tearing up when she was reading, but now nothing could hold back her tears.

“Yes. A thousand times yes.” He stood up to slide the ring on her finger.

“Wait. What’s this inscription on the inside? Forever with Daehyun?”

“It means that I will always be with you. Even if I’m not physically there, it’s just a reminder I am always thinking about you and I will love you forever. I have a ring too.”. He fished out a necklace from under his shirt with a simple silver ring on the chain. He showed her the inscription. Forever with Sunmi.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”