Realisation

EXO SERIES: Someone Like Zhang Yixing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

Things quieted down because individual schedules would keep Yixing very busy. Nevertheless, he couldn't resist the practice rooms at SM Entertainment before leaving for China again. The Korean practice rooms he had spent four years in. He diligently prepared for his next solo album and had a meeting with some staff members. Yixing's manager has been in the same room with him for hours, trying to make him go home or take a break at least. 

"Only one more hour! Really this time." Yixing would reply every time his manager reminded him that one hour was over. He lost count of how many hours were added.

"Yixing, if you are not finishing practice after one hour, I'm calling Yi Min to come." His manager warned him and checked the time in advance. Min Hee was also back in Korea and otherwise engaged with her work. Yixing's manager hoped she was free in case he needed to call her. 

"Alright, alright." The artist glanced at his manager before continuing the his routine. Funny how normally most managers encouraged and pressured those they worked for to practise, but the solitary thing Yixing's manager wanted was to make him rest.

Anyways, exactly one hour passed and it didn't seem like Yixing was planning on leaving any time soon. Mr Manager got up to make a phone call to Min Hee out of frustration. He was sure Yixing would listen to his colleague. They're closest at Yixing's workshop, that's why.

"Yixing's at it again?" At this point, Min Hee sounded more annoyed than surprised. "Why does it have to be SM Entertainment of all places? I'll be there in twenty minutes, make sure to open the back door for me." Maybe it was its image but Min Hee felt uncomfortable every time she went to that company. There were too many things the public didn't know about the agency but enough that one of its problem was the unfair treatment of artists. But well, if it wasn't for SM Entertainment, perhaps their paths wouldn't have crossed.

Min Hee was welcomed by Yixing's manager, the sole familiar face she recognised, arriving at the building. How else would she get past the security system then? She didn't have her fingerprint submitted as she wasn't signed to the label like Yixing. They headed to the practice rooms and found the young man still doing his own thing. Yixing neither notice his manager's absence nor Min Hee's arrival. 

"Yixing really doesn't listen to me once the music is on." Her colleague explained and motioned to Min Hee to stop him. "I can't stand another hour." Mr Manager hasn't had much work experience with Yixing yet which was why he often relied on Min Hee for some support. Especially when it's about taking a break. Nobody among the staff members was as good at persuading Yixing as Min Hee.

At first, Min Hee stood silently and watched him from afar. She enjoyed seeing him so passionate about dancing and singing although Yixing tended to overdo it sometimes. His moves were so smooth and precise. I understand how intimidating it can be once Yixing starts dancing because he has this charisma which tells you not to come any closer. It wasn't until the song ended that Yixing registered her presence. 

"Min Hee? What are you doing here?" His eyes widened and blinked several times as if to process the fact. "How did you get here?" 

"I warned you, Yixing, about the one hour. I told you I'd call Yi Min if you didn't stop and now she's here. Get ready quickly, I'll get you some more water, wait." Before Yixing's manager left the practice room, he faced Min Hee with a sigh. "Please watch him for me and make sure he doesn't go near the music." 

Min Hee gave him a nod and tossed Yixing a new shirt after she heard the sound of the door being closed. "Did you miss me so much your manager had to call me? Or I can't let you go anywhere on your own." She turned around to let him get take off his old sweaty shirt. 

Yixing changed his upper clothing and laughed. "Probably both." He smiled innocently and drank up the last bit of water in the bottle. "How refreshing. Anyways, did you only come to stop me? Are you leaving again after coming?"

Actually, Min Hee didn't think that far. She shrugged her shoulders and checked the time. I really came solely because his manager called and I was free. "We could grab something to eat. It's time for dinner and I'm starving, to be honest. Let's go with your manager. There are many good places to eat in the district."

And so the three of them went to a restaurant nearby, choosing the seats at the back which were isolated from the rest of the people. The two men decided on what to order while Min Hee already made up her mind when she chose the food place. Yixing came here with his labelmates during his trainee days but was always a fast eater, never seriously enjoying his meals. He'll learn how to enjoy eating with my help at the latest. 

"Yi Min, what do you want to eat?" Mr Manager asked Min Hee who was cut off by Yixing answering on behalf of his friend. "How do you know? The question wasn't directed at you after all!" 

"I should know that much about Yi Min at least." Yixing joked while his eyes wandered to Min Hee. He immediately averted his gaze when they locked eyes briefly. Sometimes, he would catch himself unknowingly looking at her and watching her. "Eat a lot, guys. Dinner is on me today." When is it not?

During the wait for the dishes, they talked comfortably and there wasn't much to catch up on. Min Hee reported them about what she has been doing and Mr Manager would tell her some funny stories about Yixing during filming. One question still left him curious. "Exactly what made Yixing so nervous on your birthday? If I knew you'd talk to each other this long, I would've left the room and slept somewhere else."

"Hey, you can't tell her that!" Yixing whispered to his manager who sat next to him and opposite of Min Hee. "Of course, I was nervous. Who knows how you'd react?" Min Hee seriously doubted anyone would be unhappy about such a surprise from a close person. And let's be honest, who wouldn't like a special event from Lay Zhang?

"Oh, Yang Min Hee?" She turned her head to the direction of the familiar voice and spotted Kang Won Ho. "I didn't expect to see you here. My shift just ended." Won Ho looked at the two men sitting with her at the table and recognised Yixing. They greeted each other, Yixing feeling most awkward at the table.

"This is Kang Won Ho, he is a friend of mine." Min Hee explained to Mr Manager and smiled at Won Ho. "Would it be alright if he joins us to eat?" Yixing's manager didn't mind if Won Ho was her friend, but Yixing hesitated. Refusing will seem odd, I don't have a reason to reject his joining.

Kang Won Ho took the free seat beside Min Hee and ordered his food as well. Surprisingly, it wasn't awkward when Won Ho joined the trio. Min Hee assumed it might be weird for Yixing's manager to suddenly have a complete stranger sit at the table with him, but thanks to Won Ho's personality and his language level, he was able to engage in conversation with everyone.

"I'll go to the bathroom quickly." Mr Manager said getting up and disappearing from their sight. Min Hee glanced at her watch and also excused herself, leaving Yixing and Won Ho alone. The awkward silence Min Hee expected earlier entered now. Yixing didn't know what to say to him and vice versa. They ate quietly while hoping for either of them to return. Not as doctor and patient, but as two acquaintances connected through a mutual friend. 

"We don't run into each other much outside the hospital, do we?" Won Ho broke the silence first and beamed, causing Yixing to look up from his food and facing the doctor. 

"Yes, indeed." Yixing responded awkwardly. He wasn't exactly keen on meeting Won Ho anywhere else, though. "Funny how Min Hee is our mutual friend." 

"Right. Speaking of our Min Hee." Kang Won Ho began, keeping his smile despite the change in atmosphere. He just became serious. What's the 'our' in front of Min Hee? "She is not particularly the type to hide her feelings. Min Hee rarely does."

Yixing was surprised at the different direction of the conversation but nodded his head slowly as an answer. "I know that well." He, too, smiled because he couldn't help it. That's how she is. 

"Then why would you behave as you do now? Ignorant of her feelings." Won Ho questioned Yixing and stared into his eyes while not breaking eye contact. He didn't mean to come off as impolite, but felt the need it had to be said. 

What? "Ignorant you say?" As if it was the only word Yixing picked up from his question, he returned the gaze with furrowed eyebrows. Behave as I do now? In what way? Why would Won Ho ask about that anyway when it was none of his business? Particularly since they didn't have a relationship going beyond doctor and patient.

The next direct question followed right after. "Are you interested in Min Hee?" Now Yixing understood why those two were friends. So straightforward, both of them, how matching. 

"I don't know how that's any of your concern, Dr Kang." He replied, not even thinking about another answer. Yixing had to be careful of everything he said and whether Won Ho was someone his doctor, a friend or an acquaintance, every information and word Yixing would let out might be used against him one day. 

A possible scenario could be that Won Ho shared some information about him as an acquaintance to the media or reporters. As unlikely it might sound, there were many more scenarios if he spoke too much. Even if I don't believe Dr Kang is the kind of person to cause another person's downfall, I shouldn't underestimate him.

"I'm not asking you as a doctor, Mr Zhang, but from man to man. Are you or are you not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter