Surprises

EXO SERIES: Someone Like Zhang Yixing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

Only once did XingMin meet after their short hangout in March for business purposes. Min Hee, another representative of the studio plus Yixing himself met with the concert organiser for the third EXO tour. In short, they concluded it would be difficult for Yixing to participate in the rest of the tour which left him heartbroken. He was looking forward to the concerts but now he was letting s and his fans down again. Those were his words. Yixing felt very bad about it and it was hard to cheer him up. Min Hee couldn't simply postpone the drama filming and there was nothing she or anyone could do since the events were in conflict. After that day, they haven't seen each other anymore. 

Yixing was in Japan for his 'Go Fighting!' filming, leaving Min Hee in China. However, he never once stopped trying to figure out the exact meaning of Min Hee's words. Am I to blame because I don't know? Do I have to know everything? What were you trying to say or not to say? I can't read between the lines, you need to tell me directly if I did something wrong. Don't turn away, ignore me and not contact me at all, letting me think back on what I did or didn't do. I'm just that clueless. He would constantly ask himself the same questions over and over again and space out during his breaks. 

Sitting at the desk in his hotel room, Yixing drifted away in his thoughts. He was scared. Scared of the growing attraction which he slowly began to notice. Yixing wasn't sure. He could feel that way because they were such good friends, too. Let's not cross the line. Let's see if it's only temporary. Yixing was scared the feeling would grow because then he would never forgive himself. There were several reasons as to why he has been single for the past years. One being he was simply unlucky in the field of love. Now wasn't the time to look for a companion or a relationship, he couldn't afford one. Jung Ha Na knew too well.

Min Hee is too good of a friend and colleague; I am not in the place to seek for more. Or maybe I'm overthinking again and Min Hee meant something totally different. I'm becoming crazy, I should stop thinking at all. Yixing ruffled his hair frustrated and headed to the bathroom. Turning on the tap, he washed his face with cold water. "I didn't give her any wrong ideas, did I? How should I face her the next time? Get a hold of yourself, Zhang Yixing. Everything was fine until now, let's stay calm." 

In the meantime in another country, Min Hee was casually sitting on her sofa and watching an episode of a variety show Yixing appeared in. Seeing him on television was not the same as having him here personally. Another month of not seeing each other. Well, Min Hee could not simply book a flight and visit him because she would interfere with his work. And her pride and personality wouldn't let it happen. Let's respect each other's work. By now, they have both learned not to interrupt each other when working and to be serious when necessary. Something she likes about Yixing, too.

While relaxing, Min Hee checked the artist's schedule. The next time will be a business meeting again, in Korea. It's always business. "Oh, my birthday's coming up in a few days." She didn't consider her birthday worthy of a party or special festivity because it was enough for her to spend a nice and normal day. Att home with no work to do and good food. Even though she wasn't able to visit her family on her birthday, Min Hee planned on enjoying herself (on her own somehow). "Yixing will still be in Japan then. It can't be helped. It's not like he can spontaneously fly back to China as well." Both Yixing and Min Hee maintained their work ethics well. 

She shrugged her shoulders and leaned back. Just another year passing by. Speaking of work ethics, she was reminded of Kang Won Ho. He had been contacting her again because they haven't seen each other for maybe half a year? That's actually long for us. Won Ho always asked Min Hee to meet and hang out but she would always turn him down. Despite her rejections, Won Ho never gave up. The last time he wanted to meet her was on Christmas. "He really doesn't know how to give up." Min Hee wasn't free on Christmas so she had rejected him again. "If only you had done the same before I ended up falling for another man. If only I hadn't ended up falling for him." She didn't ignore his text messages but also didn't respond the way Won Ho would've probably wished her to respond.

On the morning of Min Hee's 25th birthday, she sat at home lazily. Apart from doing nothing productive, Min Hee cooked herself a Korean seaweed soup to eat for breakfast. "Now he is even calling, unbelievable. Yes, Min Hee here. What's up?" 

"What to do if you reject me again today? I just arrived at the airport in China, though." Won Ho laughed softly as he looked around the huge space. It's been a while since he came here. Won Ho was capable of going to her apartment due to his basic Mandarin skills, but in case Min Hee didn't like him popping out of somewhere in front of her door, he informed her now. "Is it okay to meet up in an hour? I'll wait at your house."

What? Min Hee immediately sat up and looked at the clock hanging on the wall. One hour even? As if she needed one hour to get changed and be ready to meet him. Won Ho was her friend so she didn't feel the need to look pretty in front of him, put on some make-up or dress up. Not even for Yixing. Her style was simple, comfortable and she was quick to get ready, just not quick to wake up. Rather than that, his visit bothered her. Let's not judge him. If he's doing it because of the whole liking thing, then that's just annoying because he doesn't give up. If he's 'surprising' me for my birthday as a friend, it's fine. It's not like I have anything specially planned for today. 

"Alright, see you in an hour." Min Hee replied indifferently and hung up. No other text messages or calls from Yixing. He must be filming or sleeping. He's hopefully sleeping. She continued watching the variety show and got dressed afterwards, not hurrying but taking her sweet time. Kang Won Ho was already waiting when Min Hee walked downstairs and left her apartment. The boyfriend look. Some subtle boyfriend material vibes. "Did you wait long?" 

"No, don't worry. I just arrived here." Classic. It could be true but Won Ho seemed too calm to have just arrived. "Despite not being familiar with the city, I looked up some good places to eat out. Are you ready to go?" 

"I wouldn't if I wasn't here." Min Hee answered with an awkward smile. Won Ho tried too hard. The woman beside him wasn't looking for a birthday celebration but his effort was visible. She knew he wasn't the type to give up although Min Hee clearly rejected him several times. Won Ho didn't say it explicitly but his patience and optimism made him wait patiently for Min Hee without caring about the fact that her feelings pulled her into a different direction. 

As they both stood in front of the place Won Ho chose, Min Hee thought of Yixing. It was a restaurant Min Hee and Yixing often went to during their spare time. "Don't you like it? Shall we go somewhere else?" Won Ho questioned Min Hee because there was no reaction coming from her. She kept a neutral face all the time which made it hard for Won Ho to decipher her thoughts. 

"I like it but instead I was wondering why you came. After all, you suddenly called me this morning and told me you were in China, you could've told me beforehand. No work at the hospital?" Min Hee ordered first before waiting for Won Ho's answer. The worst men are the busy ones. 

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise! To be honest, I took off only today for your birthday, I'm flying back to Korea tonight. A few days before Christmas last year, I offered you to visit if you can't make it to Korea but I was rejected cold-heartedly." Won Ho said jokingly her to lift up the mood but she didn't seem impressed in any way concerning his surprise visit. "You don't usually celebrate your birthday so I figured you were free today."

As ungrateful and arrogant as it might sound, Min Hee never asked him to come because there was a reason why she rejected him. Nevertheless, she couldn't possibly send him back after he came all the way and even took a day off. He usually didn't. How to make it clearer that I only want and will be his friend? At this state, there is no chance I'm falling back.

Min Hee saw him placing a box on the table. "Here, a little something." His gentle smile used to lift up her mood but now she was utterly suspicious. She slowly picked it up gazing the box. "I assumed something else would've made you uncomfortable. It's just a little gift." You better don't be some sort of jewellery.

"A bracelet?" Thank God you are not a ring. "I'm sufficiently content with the food here. Why give me a bracelet?" Such a waste of money even as a doctor. Won Ho certainly knew how to pick good presents and win over some women, but not Min Hee. Although she liked the bracelet, she closed the box and returned the gift. "Thanks, but I won't accept it. Right now, I don't consider it right to accept your gift." I won't, not I can't.

"So it did make you uncomfortable." The disappointment in his voice was audible but he had already expected this reaction. "I'll think of something better next time. Let's eat, our food arrived." His usual eye smile graced his face again, he wasn't discouraged. We've probably all been at this point where the person we admire doesn't look at us the same way. With the roles switched now, Min Hee experienced the other side as well. It surely is difficult for everyone.

In the middle of eating, Min Hee quickly checked her messages to see if maybe, eventually, Yixing texted her during a break. Of course, Won Ho took notice. Again, disappointed but understanding, he shook it off with a smile and a joke. "Sitting with me but thinking of another man. I envy him."

Yang Min Hee lifted her head with a quick apology and continued eating. It was true, she couldn't help letting her thoughts drift away to Yixing. Her action wasn't worth an apology; Won Ho never asked Min Hee to be considerate of his feelings because his weak side would show. "Thanks for the meal but I'll pay since you came all the way and it's my birthday. How impolite of me would it be if I let you do that as well. You know I don't like owing people." Min Hee got up from her seat and took out her wallet. 

Though Won Ho was on the verge of offering to pay the bill, he decided not to because Min Hee wouldn't take a 'no' for an answer. He let her do her own thing and stood next to his friend with a warm smile. They both left the restaurant well-fed and only came to realise then that it was getting late. Time sure passed quickly when eating. Once more Won Ho was cut off before being able to speak, Min Hee's phone rang. "I have to take the call, wait here." The young woman attempted not to show her joy and relief too much and distanced herself from Won Ho. 

"Are you done with your schedule?" Min Hee couldn't help the genuine smile forming on her face once she answered Yixing's call. 

"Yes, I just finished the filming and am now back in the hotel. I hope I didn't interrupt anything or are you busy?" Yixing questioned her worried and scolded himself for not asking before calling. "Right now I'm working on a new song but the flash drive with the necessary files are left in the studio. I knew I forgot something before I departed to Japan." 

Min Hee chuckled his habit and concluded Yixing asked her for a favour. "So you would like me to go to your office and send the files to you?"

"Only if you aren't busy. It might be hard to find the exact files because there is too much saved on the flash drive. They are all sorted and organised by name, it shouldn't be too messy!" Yixing explained and let her know the names of the documents he needed for his work. "You're literally saving me. I have to use my free time productively, after all. Thank you, Yi Min."

The way Yixing said her name filled her cheeks with warmth. She ended the phone call and turned to Won Ho apologetically. "It's about work. I need to go to the studio, I'm sorry." Saying it was about Yixing wouldn't make Won Ho feel any better and it wasn't a lie, but Won Ho caught on and decided to accept the fact.

"Alright, I should slowly head to the airport anyway. Shall I walk you there?" Won Ho offered instead of broaching the topic again. Min Hee declined, saying it wasn't far and he shouldn't be late for his flight. She called a taxi for him to see him off and thanked him for the surprise visit. "If you ever need some company, you know where I am." Won Ho smiled at her before waving her goodbye and closing the car door. 

The younger one let out a sigh as she waved back. He's trying too much. Is this the same thing Yixing thinks about me whenever I call? Nah, he doesn't even know the reason, probably not. Min Hee headed home first, brought her laptop and drove to the studio because she wasn't particularly looking forward to walking home at night. Some staff members were still working when Min Hee arrived but she hurried to Yixing's office. He said it's urgent. "Wow, I haven't been here for a while but he should really clean up." How was she supposed to find the flash drive then? It was too small to find in Yixing's chaos. 

Min Hee made sure not to worsen the mess and thought of the most likely places to forget something as small as the flash drive. "Why didn't I search here first?" It was on his desk next to some other documents. A sticky note was attached on top of it and read 'Important files'. "If it's so important, why did you forget it?" She mumbled ironically before taking the device and checking the documents on her laptop.

Once Min Hee opened the folder, she looked for the audio files whose titles Yixing mentioned and was surprised by the number of files shown. "As expected, you're working too much. Found it. Now let's listen to what you've been working on." Not only for her own enjoyment but because Yixing asked her to check them beforehand, of course. Such a perfectionist. He's scared I'm sending him the wrong files.

However, Yixing's face popped up on the display in a video message, congratulating Min Hee to her birthday. "Min Hee! I am sorry I can't be there personally due to another schedule, celebrate and eat a birthday cake with you, that's why I am doing this message. Also, I learned to gift you other things than flowers! Even if I didn't prepare much, you will find more surprises in your office and when you click on the file next to the video, it's an importa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter