Limits

EXO SERIES: Someone Like Zhang Yixing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

What a fantastic way to end the day. Or work, whatever. The dinner was delightful and though Yixing insisted on paying, Min Hee managed to split the bill with him. How could she let him pay everything? Yixing might view it as right, but look at those figures; there are lots.

"Thank you for the delicious experience, Yixing." Grandpa Zhang embraced his grandson after the four left the grand building. "I'm looking forward to tomorrow!"

"And me not to mention! The night isn't over yet, there is still a little event planned." Yixing's smile reached his ears as he imagined the romantic scenarios in his head. Between his grandparents, of course. The trip was supposed to be an unforgettable memory. Before the trip, he had asked Min Hee about some ideas and activities so she also did some research, but never got to know what Yixing decided on finally. Mainly because Yixing never got (or was too shy) to inform her.

"Where are you leading us to, Yixing?" Grandma Zhang questioned her grandson curiously and excitedly while linking arms with him and her husband whose arm was at the same time linked with Min Hee's. "It's so pretty by night. We don't need any more fancy and expensive activities; we can simply enjoy the incredible view from here." 

"I knew you would say that, Grandma, so I planned a night-sightseeing cruise on the Seine for us. Only for us. It's a small boat, I figured you would be more comfortable without a big crowd of people." Yixing replied, stopping at the port where the tour was awaiting them already. His grandparents gave him big reactions upon seeing the boat. They entered and walked around before setting off. Grandma and Grandpa Zhang stood on one side of the boat together, his arm around her waist, and enjoyed the night view of the shining city. Min Hee and Yixing stood next to each other on the opposite side of the boat, satisfied over the success of the day, and turned around to enjoy the view themselves. On the river, it was hopefully unlikely to be spotted by others unless they had really good eyes or cameras. 

Though Yixing grew more and more comfortable again next to his friend, he never forgot about the confession. He had slowly come to realise his feelings yet he wanted to know why it was Min Hee. Why her? Yes, she is a great woman, a wonderful friend and the perfect buddy if you need someone to drink with. There were so many amazing things about her, but why did his heart choose Min Hee? And even though Yixing knew Min Hee was waiting ㅡ patiently for him and an honest answer ㅡ he couldn't bring himself yet to confess. He doesn't have as much courage as her. 

"I didn't know you could be such a romantic." Min Hee teased Yixing and turned around, leaning against the rail of the boat to face him. "You chose a night-sightseeing cruise among the ideas I suggested. Interesting. I faintly remember you saying not being much of a romantic." 

"For a girl, that would be. But I do consider myself somewhat romantic, though." Yixing coughed slightly to clear his throat and glanced at Min Hee. "Was it too much? They will be exhausted after the long filming and my planning."

"They might, probably, but they clearly appreciate the healing view there. Looks like they are enjoying their romantic time alone." Min Hee commented, envying Yixing's grandparents' on-going love story even after fifty years. Their love story was nothing like she could ever imagine. A beautiful and pure yet simple story. "Stop overthinking. You've got to enjoy the little time with your family as well. Relax." Min Hee brushed the strands of black hair which had fallen over his forehead. She could use the opportunity to get closer to Yixing as well.

Thump. Yixing was flustered but didn't back away from the sudden closeness. "Hey, let's take some photos. For the memories!" Yixing used his phone to shoot some pictures of the city and so did Min Hee. And while Yixing moved his phone around to find the right angles, he couldn't help focusing on his friend and captured her smile from taking in the fresh air. For the memories.

Min Hee turned her head to him so he quickly put down his phone, caught red-handed. "Were you taking photos of me because I was so pretty just now?" 

"Tch." Yixing shook his head with a grin and quickly showed her the ones of the attractions he shot earlier. "Very confident, are we?" 

"No need to deny it." Min Hee tossed her hair back jokingly and put out her hand. "Let me take some for you. Did I ever tell you about being especially good at playing the photographer?" Yixing posed a few times, with different expressions and tried to show his best side since Min Hee took the pictures. Though she seemed calm and composed in front of Yixing, deep inside there was too much going on at once. 

Later on, the boat stopped at the port. They stepped down and were tired, from everything today, and now they deserved their long-awaited sleep to recharge. Yixing's grandparents insisted on walking back to the hotel instead of taking a taxi because it wasn't too far away. They walked ahead and the younger ones followed them closely behind.

"As expected from the city, there are always people no matter what time of the day." Min Hee commented, looking around in case they were being followed. She was able to spot cameras easily and no details about the filming were leaked so they should be safe. "Give me a second, I am tired of walking in those stupid heels." Upon seeing a park and thus a sitting accommodation from afar, she decided to sit down there and asked the Zhangs to take a break as well. 

"Here. In case you are cold." Yixing took off his jacket and covered her legs with it. "Do you want me to massage your feet?" He questioned her half-jokingly and looked something up on his phone. No convenience stores nearby? That would mean leaving her alone for a while. "I'll be back in a minute." And Yixing ran. To the nearest stores which were still open and where he could find comfortable shoes for Min Hee or at least a plaster. Wherever that may be.

He ran back as quickly as he left, out of breath, and apologised for being late. "A bit chilly for the feet and not the most fashionable combined with the dress but way better than those." Yixing pointed on the high heels which Min Hee had taken off already. Never going to wear those again. 

Min Hee put on the pair of slippers and smiled contently. "Not my feet size but close. My feet can move freely again, thanks." Yixing returned a sheepish smile.

Arriving at the hotel, Grandma and Grandpa Zhang went off to sleep and Min Hee stayed in Yixing's room temporarily. The young man became more certain now but didn't feel like rushing. I know Min Hee's expecting an answer. The location was perfect, the boat and the park, but incredibly risky. The two stood at the huge window of the dark hotel room which was lightly illuminated by a dim light. They looked down with an amazing view over the city.

"Min Hee." He called her name, gaining her attention. "I should've given you an honest and proper answer to what you said a few days ago. Could you give me just a little more time? I don't want to ruin it because I am slow." 

"I know you are slow and that's okay." Min Hee responded, having almost given up already. He might be new to the love thing. They both haven't experienced love in a long while. "Just so you know, I'm not going to wait for you forever. Neither acceptance nor rejection, a simple yes or no would've been enough. As long as you are surely going to answer or react in any way, I'll accept anything you say. But if you are afraid to hurt me, don't be. I'll be disappointed at the most because you weren't honest."

Yixing scratched the back of his head. "I have a question but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask now."

She shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. Nothing could knock her over anymore. "If you don't ask me now, you will never. Go on." Min Hee's gaze was directed at the chaotic traffic until she heard what was on his mind. 

Yixing hesitated. "Why is it me? Why me and not someone else?" Min Hee didn't need long to give him a reply though she was surprised at his sudden curiosity. 

How can I not? "I don't have a reason, I just do. There were also no reasons not to like you, it just happened." Min Hee smiled at him, enjoying the relief and freedom of expressing her thoughts and not having to suppress them.  

Not a reason? Yixing furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. But there are many things I like about you I can't manage counting them. "Are you going back to Korea any time soon?" To see Kang Won Ho.

"Soon for some business. And then Won Ho asked me to meet up for a drink once I'm back, I might come back to that." Min Hee explained and actually looked forward to another drinking session. She has never drunken with him before as he was never free.

"Are you crazy? Drinking with Dr Kang? You can't, don't go to him." Yixing blinked his eyes flustered. That came out differently than he had intended. Why would Min Hee go drinking with Won Ho, another man?

"Yes, though, I can actually. Why do you assume the opposite?" Min Hee shook her head at him and chuckled to herself. Jelly again, a rare sight. "Regardless of how Won Ho thinks of me, we are still friends and can hang out comfortably."

"It's hard for a woman and a man to only be friends. And anyway, it's dangerous if you do. Do you remember what I told you when you went to the pub by yourself? To go with me if you need someone, your drinking buddy." Yixing reminded her, upset about Min Hee forgetting his promise. That's exactly what I wanted to avoid. Anything could happen if they drink together.

"Wait, wait, hold on. We are friends, and there are plenty more examples where said friendship works, that's ridiculous." More or less. "Also, will you? Anytime I'd need someone to drink with? It's not me but Won Ho who need the drink, I have no reason to turn him down." Min Hee stated and clearly saw the unpleased expression Yixing tried to hide. 

"Then will you go and see him? Just like that?" Yixing questioned Min Hee helplessly and knew it wasn't right to stop her from going. Because he wasn't in the place.

"Sure, nothing is speaking against hanging out with an old friend." Min Hee reasoned, her brow raising at her friend. 

Yixing lowered his head. Yes, she liked him. But for many, not for them, feelings could change in a split second. And if not, over time after moving on. Yixing realised he could let Min Hee go by continuously being the slow one and taking no action at all. She'll let go of me first and move on, maybe finding someone more suitable. That's what's best, right? Despite mutual feelings, it's best not make more out of it. To do so first, I've got to un-like Min Hee. Sounds strange, un-liking someone. I don't know, it has to be possible. Yixing turned away slightly, embarrassed. Then again, imagining her being happy with another man made his heart clench, it was an unpleasant picture.

"You're quiet. You have unreasonable thoughts again." Min Hee encouraged him to talk and speak his mind. "You don't enjoy seeing Won Ho and I meet up, so are you going to do something or do you want to do something?"  

"I shouldn't. You know my answer yet you are asking me." Yixing smiled ironically to himself. "What I think isn't relevant." Just when he acknowledged his feelings, Yixing decided to put them to an end.

"Then it's settled." Min Hee grinned, imagining Kang Won Ho getting wasted before her. But nobody is as quick as Yixing. "Frankly speaking, I've never waited for any of my past relationships because that's just not me, waiting and hoping for the other person to have a change of heart. Because of my pride as well."

"I'm only making you wait, aren't I? You don't have to wait for a person like me. Even if we get so far as to start as something more, all I'll do is disappoint you for sure." Yixing could already see the end in his head. Lovey-dovey like any other couple at first, then being separated from each other because of their respective activities and having barely any time to meet, and then breaking up, at last, making them awkward around each other for the rest of their lives, especially since they worked together.

"Don't say that. How can you know when we have no control over the past or the future? Look me in the eye and say that again." Min Hee argued due to his negative way of thinking concerning the future. "You can't do that, can you?"

Yixing slowly turned his head to eye her, getting reminded of his feelings for her which he intended to 'get rid of'. Even if we were together, we would only be happy for a short period. Everything comes to an end eventually.

When they gazed at each other, Min Hee discovered the tenderness in YIxing's eyes, a different one from what she usually got to see. Tenderness with a little extra; Min Hee dared to believe she was the reason for that look. The exact moment, Yixing's hand reach

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter