D-Day

EXO SERIES: Someone Like Zhang Yixing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

"Watch your step, Min Hee." Yixing said as he calmly walked behind her and watched her stagger. "We're almost there." Min Hee has been saying silly things as they went to her house together which Yixing found cute. He always responded obediently. They arrived on Min Hee's floor but she merely stood there for a long time. "If you can't remember your passcode, we are in big trouble." Yixing his phone to see if his staff members took notice of his absence.

"Hehe, Zhang Yixing, you fell for it!" Min Hee pushed the buttons teasingly and entered. "I told you I'm sober. I'm not an easy woman, remember?" And Min Hee stumbled one more time on her way to the bedroom.

"I told you to watch your step, didn't I?" Yixing guided her to the bed and then turned around to retreat. He hasn't been in her apartment for a long time since he only lived in hotels. 

"Mister, where are you going?" Min Hee wouldn't let go of Yixing's hand and pulled him back, making him fall clumsily next to her.

"How can I possibly stay in your bedroom, on your bed even?" Yixing gulped nervously, never having imagined this scenario. All of it went against his conservative side. His face reddened more than Min Hee's even though he was the sober one. "Please, Min Hee. Come to your senses. I need to go soon." He had hoped she would fall asleep so he could leave quietly and pretend he has never been away. 

"Wait here, I'll get you some water." Yixing got up and headed to the kitchen. He needed a glass of cold water for himself to cool down. Has it always been so warm in her house? Is the heating on? Yixing returned, his steps slow, but Min Hee had already dozen off. He placed the glass of water on the table next to the bed and lay down next to her, though hesitatingly at first, watching her sleeping like a log. How can someone be so gorgeous? Am I the one dreaming? Her long eyelashes, the small nose, the not too pale skin. Yixing's eyes wandered down to her lips. He could still remember the softness of them and was taken back to the second they shared their first kiss. Solely her peaceful breathing filled the room. He reached out to brush her hair away gently to get a better view of her eyes, something he also pictured watching Korean dramas years ago. 

That moment, Min Hee opened her eyes and smiled carefreely. "How did you appear right in front of me? Is this a dream?" She wanted to touch his face to check if he was real, but Yixing kept his moderate distance and Min Hee's arm felt too heavy to put out her arm farther. "Why does it seem like you are in reach yet so far away?" Her head was awhirl with questions and because of the influence which made her somewhat emotional as well, Min Hee became sad for no reason. "Are you leaving soon?" Her voice was thin as if about to cry.

"Yes, unfortunately, I have to." Yixing said apologetically, his heart aching from seeing the quick change of expression. A few minutes ago, Min Hee's face was at peaceful rest and now he felt guilty for being the reason that disappointment and sadness overcame her.

"You will go once I fall asleep, right? Why are you so mean to me? I know you won't be here when I wake up again, so I will just not close my eyes and sleep. Not a chance, no." Min Hee shook her head rapidly to underline her statement.

Yixing didn't mind her child-like or silly behaviour as he could handle her in this condition. He was only glad Min Hee didn't have any dangerous drinking habits such as suddenly initiating physical contact or something. Anyhow, he would never dare or think about taking advantage of her which explained the distance he kept on the bed.

"Here, have this first." Yixing handed her the glass of water which she gladly sipped. 

After returning the glass, she gazed him with firm eyes. "Yixing-ah, tell me, why are you always running away from me?" Min Hee questioned him in order not to fall asleep. "Don't your legs hurt from running all the time?"

The addressed one has never told anyone but he decided to face his fear for once. "Because I am scared." After a short pause and Min Hee patiently waiting for his reply, he felt the courage to speak about it. "I am scared of many important and precious people close to me leave me even though I, too, have left people I treasured. I am scared of being left alone at the end with that pain and fear, that's why I'm running away." Yixing could understand and accept the choice of those people leaving him, but it didn't change the fact he was anxious. 

"I won't date a person if I can't imagine staying with that person forever and having a future in mind with the person. Then again, I'm afraid I look too deeply at relationships. I also tend to put my happiness behind the happiness of others." Yixing was especially anxious about the possibility of Min Hee leaving him one day. He wouldn't be able to bear it. For the first time in a long while, he thought he was ready for that kind of commitment. I don't know what to do when that point arrives where we have to part ways. Or when Min Hee leaves me first.

"People's fear comes from imagination. You won't be alone, you have so many people loving you. There are always people watching over and cherishing you. May it be your family, your brothers, your fans and me too! I know that sometimes you can get the feeling that everyone in the world is against you, but in reality, there will be always at least one person standing beside you whom you can rely on unless you really messed things up. You just don't know. Believe me, I've experienced it all." Min Hee spoke to Yixing like a wise, old man and laughed. It was funny how she switched between giving words of encouragement and well, being herself.

"Is that so, Mister? Why do I feel like though I'm trying to run away, in reality, I am already suffering?" Yixing asked rather himself than Min Hee. "Whatever I choose to do, there will always be people who are disappointed or criticise me. I know from experience."

Min Hee understood his struggles but those thoughts would only affect his life negatively. "Everyone gets to that point, it's natural, you can't please everyone. But if those people loved you and truly wished you to be happy, they would accept your decision and stay by your side." She made a hand movement, gesturing him to put out his hand for her. Min Hee clasped Yixing's hand with hers and looked him sincerely in the eye. "Can't you forget about other people for a second and have some trust in me? Haven't I showed you enough how genuine my words and actions have been?" 

Yixing eyed their hands and rubbed the back of her hand with his thumb. "You have. I am completely aware, it's me who didn't want to put everything on the line with my actions. I know I always use excuses to run away, but I don't want to say more when your head isn't fully clear. Let's continue this conversation on a different occasion when we are both aware of what we are saying. This time, I will not run away, I promise."

"You're leaving now, aren't you?" Min Hee refused to let go of Yixing's hand and glared at him as he tried to get up from the bed. 

Yixing smiled and patted her head gently. "Honestly, I don't want to go either. I'll prepare something for you in the kitchen. Your head might hurt from drinking so much today." Yixing let go of the warmth coming from Min Hee's hand and stood up. Normally, he would ask before using her kitchen but tonight, he strived on cooking something easy which she could reheat in the morning. Once he was done and returned to check on Min Hee, she has fallen fast asleep anew. He chuckled, covering her with a blanket. 

"Five more minutes." Yixing sat down next to her carefully and leaned against the headboard. He almost forgot how exhausted he was himself before rushing to find his friend. Yixing felt completely at rest, surrounded by Min Hee's scent and not unfamiliar environment, except he has never been fully inside Min Hee's bedroom before. Afterwards, Yixing gradually fell asleep only to wake up at 4 AM to see the text messages from EXO's leader, his same-age friend. Lots of messages. "Where on earth are you, Zhang Yixing? Did something happen? Please answer my calls at least! I'm getting worried, I can't find you. You aren't in trouble, are you?" 

"Oh my, how long did I sleep?" Trying to keep calm so Min Hee wouldn't wake up, he put on his jacket and called Kim Joon Myeon, saying he was at a friend's apartment. There was no point in lying because either being in her neighbourhood or simply going to the convenience store was suspicious enough. He could've gone to every other neighbourhood or convenience store. And at this hour, Yixing himself wasn't certain about walking outside by himself. It's dawn, there are no taxis around anymore. I should ask Joon Myeon to pick me up.

Yixing entered Min Hee's bedroom for the last time and observed her from afar. He walked over to her desk to take one of her sticky notes, reminding her of eating the soup he had made and taking care of herself. Plus, writing down the promise they made earlier. I don't want to go. It was funny how happy he was and how fast his heart could beat while purely looking at her. Yixing was overwhelmed by so many positive emotions. Before leaving her house, he couldn't help but plant a light affectionate kiss on her forehead, contradicting his original intent of letting go. Another message from Joon Myeon. I'll probably not survive this night. "Sweet dreams, Min Hee."

Yixing closed the door behind him and sprinted down to the van where his same-age friend awaited him. "I'm excited to listen to your explanations and stories, Yixing-ah! Especially since you called me at 4 AM in the morning." Yixing just smiled innocently, thinking of how to sum up the past two and a half years to EXO's leader. 

When Min Hee woke up from her deep sleep in the morning and spotted the sticky note beside her phone, she carefully read what Yixing had to say. A very thoughtful and sweet action, but she had an unusual great memory after these rare incidents of being tipsy. Since she was super focused on Yixing this night, she probably remembered every sentence and every word of his. Despite Min Hee also being very tired, how could she possibly fall asleep when Yixing was lying right next to her? She knew his schedule and that he had to leave soon, pretending to sleep to make him leave without any worries. 

Keeping her eyes closed, Min Hee could barely listen to how Yixing attempted on being as quiet and careful as possible not to wake her up. Though she didn't make out what exactly, she had trouble staying still and relaxed when Yixing left that ever-so light kiss on her forehead. She blurrily saw Yixing's figure turning away from her and heard the door close eventually.

Yang Min Hee had some hope but kept it in moderation because of the possibility of getting disappointed in reverse. She ate up the soup obediently, even if it was a little salty. Yixing wouldn't open up to her more so she wanted to take closer steps towards him. Min Hee believed Yixing merely needed to voice his feelings and answer her properly because she deserved an honest answer. 

Yixing must've thought of her at the exact moment as well; he called Min Hee to ask about her condition and if she saw the note he had written for her. "You were sleeping peacefully, I didn't want to wake you before leaving. How are you feeling?"

"Great, I really am. Thanks for the soup and for coming to walk me home yesterday. Hopefully, you didn't get in trouble with your manager or members. Did they know you were gone?" Min Hee questioned him, not knowing anything about the text messages Yixing received. She naturally thought he couldn't stay at her house forever and forgot about returning to the dormitory.

Yixing laughed it off, denying her question which was a whole lie. Kim Joon Myeon awaited Yixing when he saw him hurrying towards the van. The unusually calm expression on his face made Yixing know he was in trouble. "I can explain." Yixing had said, pondering over how to tell the leader best about sleeping at a female friend's apartment.

"You don't need to explain yet. Let's go home first. Have some time to think about what to tell me on our way." Joon Myeon's calm voice didn't put Yixing at ease at all. However, EXO's leader wasn't very interested in the details and his whereabouts, but seeing how Yixing panicked was amusing. Once Yixing confessed he was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter