Meeting

EXO SERIES: Someone Like Zhang Yixing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

Lay Zhang was in one of the several practice rooms in his company, again, working hard for EXO's upcoming second tour. He wanted to use every free second to practise and fully dedicate himself to work, giving it his all. The humble idol and perfectionist Lay was, he decided to work even harder. Even s would try to stop and tell him it was late when it was already past midnight or they would ask him to at least take a rest. However, Lay found comfort in his idol life, working put him at ease and gave him peace. It was hard, and how it was, but time seemed to pass faster, his worries seemed to disappear when he was practising. 

Following two of s leaving the team last year, Lay knew he couldn't stop them. It was their decision, it was their life. He couldn't say it didn't affect him and the others as well. If they thought it was the right thing to do, Lay would support them although their departure was unfortunate. So did the rest of the members. That was why Lay wanted to work harder to show the best of him and the group to their fans.

"Gege, stop it already. How long have you been practising? You left the dormitory too early in the morning again." Tao entered the practice room and felt both relieved and frustrated after walking around in the SM building only to find his brother practising. And he was frustrated because he should've known where he would be in his spare time. Lay got up to look for a new shirt in his bag. Sweat droplets were running down his face and limbs, soaking his current tank top. "I heard the boss finally gave you permission." 

About a year ago, Lay first proposed the idea to establish his own personal studio in China but it was rejected several times. He had talked to s before and received positive and supportive reactions; he planned it throughoutly and gathered lots of information regarding the pros and cons, including the effect on the Chinese market. At last, Lay discussed his suggestion with the CEO who agreed to his thoughts but needed more time to think, asking him to wait for a while. And now suddenly, the company came up with the news and asked him to meet some people first before signing a new contract regarding his personal studio.

From SM Entertainment's point of view, it was an innovative way to keep up EXO's popularity in China even if this meant he would be absent from some group activities. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to prevent a major loss on the market following the two Chinese members' departures last year. There were some meetings here and there, Lay also reviewed some of the possible studios but they were all not to his likings and imagination. The perfect studio building? He has to know it's the right one when he sees it.

Lay let out a laugh after sipping his water bottle. "Well, I was called for another meeting later. I am pretty sure with this one, it seemed like it was made for me: not too big of a studio but having all the space I'll need. Though I've also talked to the other members and they were fine and happy for me about my promotions in China, I keep thinking it's selfish of me."

Tao slowly walked towards Lay and patted his friend's back reassuringly. "It's not, gege. I would've suggested it too if I could, you will have much more freedom than here. And anyway, it was permitted by our CEO and everyone has already put much effort into realising your idea. Everything is in your hands, you will become the boss of your own team with your funding!" Tao reminded his brother and watched him packing his bag. Lay didn't want his younger brother to worry about him practising, so he would leave earlier today. "And you're so popular, gege, think about it. So many companies proposed very tempting contract terms to make you terminate the one with SM Entertainment. With your own studio, you're shutting them all down."

"You're right. Perhaps, I am just overthinking. I can't take it back now." Lay smiled at Tao and gestured to the door. "Let's go, that was all for today. Let's grab a meal quickly before my meeting." They walked out of the practice room and the company building. The two Chinese members decided to stop by at a small restaurant near their agency which they always used to go to during trainee days.

"You only stopped practising now so you can get up before the sun rises to practise again. I know you, gege." Tao said jokingly while waiting for the food. Ever since last year, Tao and Lay became even closer being the only Chinese members left. Sure, there were both super close to the other Korean members, but with only two of them left, Tao and Lay were able to share more struggles and worries with each other. "Whatever, when the studio in China is done, promise me to take me there. Must be nice to have your own place." Tao smiled at his older brother, envying him for getting some more freedom. It was supposed to be a self-funded business but he was already wondering about the future interior design of the studio. It's not even fully decided yet I am already planning out everything else.

The idol came back to reality after Tao called him for the fifth time. "Are you even listening to me? You got a text message from our manager and didn't notice. It's probably about the meeting with the building owner." Lay blinked a few times before realising his friend was right. He took his phone and read the message. His eyebrows slightly furrowed, causing Tao to become curious and trying to peek. "I guess that means you're going now. Keep me updated, gege!" 

With that, Lay finished eating and went back to the agency, knowing nervously on the door of the CEO. He was a busy man, not someone you could casually see whenever you needed to talk to him. Lay was supposed to stop at the boss' office first before heading to the meeting and had a hard time hiding both his excitement and nervosity.  After all, Lay's dream could be over any second once the CEO changed his mind. "I've never personally met Mr Yang personally but I heard the people providing the building of your studio do have some conditions on their own. In any case, you know you have our full support and trust." On Lay's side, it was a personal goal to establish his own place, but realistically for SME, targeting the Chinese market through Lay and thus preventing him from leaving was the only important aspect.

"Let's go now, shall we? We wouldn't want to let the Yangs waiting." The CEO stated and watched Lay bowing ninety degrees and thanking him before leaving the office. Lay intended on handling the establishment on his own but it was difficult finding the right people. Every potential people the company got in contact with only cared about the profit resulting from the project. He didn't want them to be one of those greedy partners.

The Chinese member bowed to the two charismatic men, the Yang family who he had met for the first time when reviewing the building, and even Mr Lee Soo Man personally sat there considering he was in charge of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter